Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-01-2005, 07:38 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL #214 August 1-7

Good morning LWL! August already! How did that happen?
Today is hopefully back to normal for me. Last week felt like a plan B week, although I didn't do too badly considering. I did get all my workouts, and only had one iffy food day. Between my DD visiting for a week (planned) and my husband in the hospital for 3 days (unplanned), everything felt out-of-kilter.

On the weekend, I got a lot of extra exercise because dh wasn't supposed to do much and we'd planned to buy a lot of supplies for refinishing the basement and do a test-run of repainting exterior shutters before buying new ones (that experience is a whole post). It all had to get done by yesterday because we had a coupon for Home Depot that expired. So wonderwoman here did it Those cartons of hung ceiling tiles are heavy! Also spend a full day chopping back the jungle here and found a yellowjacket nest the hard way . I thought we might have yet another trip to the ER, but the swelling was minor.

I'll try to be around more this week...hopefully a few less disasters on the home front!
Chest and cardio for me today, and some food prep.

Have a good one,
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:24 AM   #2  

Hi Mel and LWL - glad last week is over and it is the start of a new week - let's hear it for clean slates!

As much as you all cheer me on (and I do appreciate it) I am not "all that" *snaps*. My workouts are in a good place, but I had a horrible eating weekend. As much as I think things are under control, boom, a slice of pizza here, someone bringing cookies into my house, tired and worn out, DH fighting a cold, etc, just sends my food out of control. Well, to me it seems out of control. But thanks to Fitday I can see how much better it really is than it was before. I usually eat 1400 -1600 calories a day and about 1800 after my "long run". My 2-day binge was about 2000 each day. I know, it could have been much worse. I just wish I didn't feel like such a fog was over me today. What do we call this "food hangover"?

*Rant alert* I seem to be working on an issue and am having a tough time with it. When did punctuality become an option rather than a rule? It has happened over and over again with people from different parts and areas of my life - social, neighborly and professional. I had a party July 4th - two couples over - one called at the time they were expected to tell me they were an hour away. I called the other couple after they were 2 hours late to make sure they were OK, and they hadn't even left the house yet. Dinner was ruined, but no one even apologized. Late appointments and workouts, no confirmation when plans change. One of my trainers wants to cancel or change an appointment time and doesn't tell me until the day before and expects me to just be available then? Or, cancels so often that I find it a "treat" if we actually have a session at the scheduled time. We have one set of friends we get together with once a month - usually on Sunday afternoon - for board games and dinner. They have complained that the "never see us" due to my running schedule and our tickets to the Nationals or DC United (see a theme - this is always my fault). I usually don't like to make plans on Sat night, as I know I am tired after my long runs. Professional Ball Games are OK, because we can always leave early or my job is just to sit there and enjoy, not be entertaining. But we were free this Sat and I felt guilty. So I said, come on over - think about what you would like to carry in, as it is a long run for me and I don't want to cook. Come with a plan. They called 10 minutes after they were supposed to be here to tell me they were just leaving their house(!) I was (and still am) furious - couldn't you have called me when you were supposed to be leaving to tell me you were late and told me I had an hour, so maybe I could have taken a nap? Then they get here and I find out that at the time they were supposed to leave she realized she hadn't even showered yet. It is not like I was planning on 6am - try 6pm - and you haven't gotten in the shower??? Oh, and dinner - what ever you want is fine. This is my friend who lost over 50 pounds on WW and knows how important planning is for success. Did I mention that I had been up since 5am because of my run? And I was tired to begin with ... run was hard ... had huge blisters on my feet from stupid inserts ... didn't really want to do this IN THE FIRST PLACE. So, when I tell her how I feel she says "you are right, I was wrong, I am sorry" and somehow I am supposed to drop all this anger and frustration and have fun? Oh, and HE walks in with a box of Ennteman's (which have not been in this house since 2002, but it is OK, they are all gone now - in my stomach). And both DH and I are starving and so, pizza becomes the choice. Yeah, that spells control, doesnt it. We had plans another night with our neighbor - he never shows up - the next day I call him to check that he is OK - he is still in the islands (wish I could go to the islands) - decided to stay a few extra days and NEVER THOUGHT TO CALL US. AHHHH Do I have a huge sign on my back that says "Take Advantage of Me"?

So, tell me, have the rules of engagement changed on making plans, and I did not get the memo? WTF??

Oh yeah, and I know (as if I didn't before) that my trigger is being tired. Have I told you how tired I am?? I am really tired. T-I-R-E-D ... I'd go back to bed, but I have places to be because people are expecting me ... ON TIME

And, even though I do not get *paid*, I have laundry and shopping and need to plan and prepare dinner for the week because we have ball games tomorrow and every other night this week and neither DH or I want bad, overpriced hot dogs every night this week.

*Rant over* Thanks for listening.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:30 AM   #3  

(((Ellen))) ITA that social skills are lacking these days. I don't see it quite as often as you do, but I see it. And people don't seem to care. A week ago was DS's 7th bday at Chuck E Cheese. They give you 90 min with the table so it's pretty quick for pizza, cake, presents, dance & program with the big mouse and some play time. People were dropping their kids off 30min+ after the start time. Is that a sign that it will only get worse? I hope not. Don't know what to say to help you feel better -- other than you're not alone and you're not out of line. Maybe it's time to just "forget" to schedule some things or tell your friends 6pm and when they're not there at 7pm leave a message saying you went out for dinner (or whatever) because you hadn't heard from them. Or just eat at the designated time (we did that a few weeks ago -- they'd even called to say they were on their way so I did all the cooking with a 15 min buffer built in; we just went ahead and ate when they were still not at our house 10 min after the buffer expired).

Thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome. IRL people don't always get the types of questions that come up as you try to put your workouts and eating into synch or bump them up. I felt like I was floundering and now I feel a little more grounded.

I think I found the key to my leg soreness. I've been trying to walk or lift every day. Even though the walks are with the kids on bikes/scooters and not that long (1mile or so), they are hilly and I have to push/pull kids up and down hills sometimes to help them. Anyway, yesterday I didn't have time for a designated activity. I woke up this morning, bounded out of bed, and (so far, knock on wood) haven't felt any leg tiredness. Dh thinks I need to rest a little more and let my body catch up to all I've done for it. Guess he knows! :-)

Have a great week!
Brenda
mom2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:10 AM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

OK Ellen, I have a similar rant: I have friends that are always wanting me to come over to eat. One of them is a certified chef and the food is always SO good, BUT they'll tell you to be there "7ish". Knowing them as I do, I don't bother to show up until 8 or later (keep in mind I am very punctual and the reason I come late is because I know they won't have had a shower yet if I get there at 7). Dinner is usually served around midnight. Really, I'm not kidding. For someone who has gotten used to eating every 2-3 hours this is not a good thing. The joke among other people that know them is that you had better eat right before you go because by the time dinner is ready you'll be hungry again anyway. The last time I went we were finally eating and someone said "OMG here we are eating and it's not even midnight" Then she looked at her watch and said "Oh wait, it's 12:15" That night we didn't bother to show up until 10pm so it seemed like we were eating early.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:23 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Good afternoon LWL !! Sorry to hear of everyone's punctuality problems. I guess my friends are considerate in that they are rarely late no more than 5-10 mins. I don't mind that I just call that ''fashioinably late''...

Today was a good workout did legs then went for a 25k bike ride... it was realy gorgeous out...

Tiki -- this is a good morning --- > http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...odMorning.html <--- except that I don't lock my knees like the guy in the pic is doing and I was doing them on a bosu ball...

Ellen - I too am starting on a clean slate this week... Food has been spot on today
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:41 PM   #6  

I keep forgetting to post here, doh!!! Coz you are my favourite people, I read everything but just forget to say my bit, so here I am!!! I did cardio today and lots of it. I really need to budge this fat, I can see good muscles happening, but they are still shrouded under all these extra layers!!! Lots of people have commented on my changing shape this past week, which has been great!

I don't keep a tidy house, I am pretty easy going with most things, but I am completely obsessive compulsive with punctuality. It costs nothing to be on time, or even a little early. I hate lateness, it's so rude!

My rant for the day is that I was going to do my new weight circuit at the gym, which I am still getting used to. But most of it is free weights, which is fab, but our free weight area is tiny, and people just won't move, or if you go in to find a spot, they glare and hiss until you move. Sigh. I'll need to get a bit stronger so I can stand over the weight bench with a nice heavy weight and threaten to drop it on the offending people who lie on the bench staring at the ceiling for 10 minutes at a time. I don't mind people working, but the endless resting, when they could wander to another bit of the gym to rest annoys me. It's fine at the gym of a morning, coz I know all the lads, and can just ask them to move nicely, ok I hit their bare legs with my towel and say "move it people!" They get disappointed if I am not mean to them!!! This evening crowd are going to take a bit of getting used to. I used to always go to the gym of a morning, but my hours of work are changing, so I'll have to develop my assertiveness skills!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:33 AM   #7  

I hear ya, Ellen! I have friends who are "punctuality-optional" as well, and it drives me crazy. Honestly, I tend to limit my exposure to them, and only do things where a precise timing isn't necessary, or whatever. But it still gets me It's second nature for me to plan ahead and think about how one task might effect a later one or what stuff I need to bring for the day or how many things I can afford to do before I get completely overwhelmed (OVERWHELM is my big trigger), and I'm always unpleasantly surprised whenever I'm reminded that other people don't always do that automatically. I hope you are feeling better now

Kykaree, congrats on the good comments from people on your figure, that's great

Ilene, how do you do good mornings on a bosu ball without falling over? I'm practically on the floor just thinking of such a thing, but maybe I'm just super-uncoordinated

Last week was my last week at work (not fired, either, hee, took a leave so I could work on my grad school comp exam) so I was running around frantically. Now I'm a bit shell-shocked and I don't know what to do with all my free time. (Wait, I do know - study! but that's no fun ). So I'm working on getting back into a routine (and into the gym!) this week. Here's wishing everyone a great start to August.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:57 AM   #8  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Started my week yesterday morning with lower body workout, then finished the day with upper body, and while I was picking up 2 x 15lbs dumbbells from the floor I discovered that I could do 30lb squats rather than the 25lbs that I'd been doing in the morning! So I did 3 sets more in the evening! I think I still need to use more weight cos I am NOT SORE! I'm sending my little slave out to buy me a barbell and more weights!

Kickboxing tonight! Hooray! I just hope I can stay awake till then! Must get early night tonight too, recovery and all that!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Wow Ilene! I'm going to give that a try on my next leg day.

Ellen, sorry about your friends screwing with your schedule. I think that overall, society is just becoming more casual and laidback but people are taking it to the extreme.

Since today is my first day back from vacation it is also my day to get back on track. I had good workouts on vaca but food wise I stank. So I gotta get it in gear. I am challenging myself to lose 4 lbs this month. Today I have mandarin oranges, lean turkey ham over lettuce for breakfast (I overslept?) and sugar free spaghetti sauce over italian veggies for lunch, tuna for snack and grilled chicken and veggies for dinner. Exercise will be cutting the overgrown lawn, unpacking, cleaning and 30 minutes on the stationary bike.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:42 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Tiki -- Your food day sounds yummy

Kyka -- It's so motivating getting a compliment... Compliments make my day

Laura -- It's verrrryyy interesting to do good mornings on a bosu ball, but lots of fun, I had a 35# barbell on my shoulders too . I've been experimenting quite a bit with bosu balls, balls and core stuff lately and it does a body good , I just feel diffirent somehow.

Well the 6# weight gain was only water *whew* because I was down 5# this morning... I have a wedding in two weeks and a nice vacation in September that I need to nice looking for, so it wouldn't be cool to gain weight for those two occasions...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:23 PM   #11  

OK, I'm determined to get back on track today. Yesterday was my free birthday meal at the local Italian eatery (rolls swimming in garlic & olive oil ring a bell?) so we're not going to talk about the last couple of days.

Going to the gym for at least a couple of hours. Wish me luck with Ilene's good mornings. If I don't post again tonight, send out a search party to the downtown branch of the Sports Barn (327 Market Street, Chattanooga) because I've knocked myself in the head and am sprawled somewhere.

Edit: How much does a smith machine bar weigh?

Last edited by JuliaTN; 08-02-2005 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:07 PM   #12  
Mel

Juuuuuliiiaaaa...did you survive? Smith bar machines vary. They can weigh anywhere from 45 pounds on a machine without counterweights to only 8 pounds on some very fancy electronically controlled machines. Most gym quality machines (cybex) weigh about 15 pounds.

Welcome back to the real world, Tiki. Good going on keeping up with your workouts on vacation

Ilene- Aren't BOSU's and stability balls fun? I do about 1/2 of all my workouts on them before I switch to a stable environment for my heavy sets. Glad you had a water whoosh!

2F- You are getting stronger than you thought

Laura- What are you studying? Funny how free time can seem overwhelming at first.

Ellen- Oh boy, you hit one of my major rants, too. I'm usually early for everything and being late drives me crazy. About half of my clients are habitually late, which makes me furious. I can't understand why they would care less than I do.

Shoulders and cardio done today. Tomorrow is legday, but I'm having "issues" with my medial glute (lol, my butt!) attachment at the top of my hip. It hurts I probably shouldn't be squatting, lunging or deadlifting, but....I never know when to stop.

Gotta go,
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:01 PM   #13  

Call the dogs back, I survived. Great workout - including a modified version of Ilene's good mornings. I used a curl bar because it was the lightest one I could find (less chance of bodily harm) and held it straight out in front of me instead of balancing it on my neck/shoulders. Is there a name for that? Also did all of my standing up type lifts on the ball. Loved it. Made everything more fun. Two thumbs up.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:28 AM   #14  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I have discovered I can do 10 squat thrusts! It must be the squatting! I used to seriously HATE them! With a passion! But yesterday we did them at kickboxing and I thought, "Hey! These are OK!"

Sending slave out AGAIN today to buy weights! Yesterday he went to Nottingham for the day, just on the spur of the moment. So no weights, no washing up done and washing all over the floor!

I like the look of those good mornings, don't they wreak havoc with your back? I think I might wait till my back's a bit stronger before starting any form of them!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:40 AM   #15  

Quick drive-by post - thank you all for validating my feelings. It makes me feel a lot better - fighting a cold - going the Zicam and fluids route - am giving myself the 'afternoon off' and heading down for a nap - more later in the week - keep up with those workouts!! *yawn* *cough*
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote