Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 08:56 AM   #1  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default What do you eat when you're stuck with canned goods?

It's my first day home from vacation, DH had to take my car to work 'cause his is having trouble, and there's very little food in the house to make decent meals with.

OK, there's plenty of canned goods in my stockpile and some frozen meat-- but there's no milk, no fresh fruits, no fresh veggies, no eggs, etc. I think there's some regular bread (not the low points kind I've switched to) out in the freezer in the garage- I guess I'd better go defrost some. Today's meals will be a test of my resolve to get back on program as well as creativity in the kitchen.

I'm thinking soup... either veggie or chicken noodle. (I had some great chicken noodle soup a few weeks ago at Tim Horton's that came out to low points-- I wonder if that recipe is online??) That will get me through lunch and/or supper. Otherwise, I'm going to have to start digging around and then hunt for some recipes. Tonight I'll go to the grocery store and stock up.

What do YOU eat when there isn't much fresh in the house?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:06 AM   #2  
Alis volat propiis

S/C/G: 270/See Slider/145-140

I have to confess, I LOVE canned green beans. I rinse them really well under running water, then nuke them with some Brummel & Brown and black pepper. I can eat a whole can with dinner. The soup idea sounds like a winner. Not much else you can do, really. Good luck getting back OP, Amy!
Old 08-01-2005, 09:35 AM   #3  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Maggie~ I'm the same way with broccoli. I can eat a ton of it just plain with almost any meal.

I also LOVE broccoli cheese soup... maybe I can try to make some with the lowfat velveeta I have in the fridge?! Oh wait, no, I'd need milk, I think. (My normal recipe involves cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and about a million calories.) Hmmm... now you've got me thinking....
Old 08-01-2005, 09:35 AM   #4  

tuna fish -- any time of the day, week or month!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:05 AM   #5  

Welcome Back Am! Yeah soup is a good idea. I like to use all recipes . com they often have nutrional information also there is a website called copy cat (not sure of the exact address, but you can google it) they have recipes from resturants and stuff. Like Olive Garden's spinch artichoke dip YUMMMMO super high points though. Anyway they might have the soup recipe.

Tuna is always a good one. I like green beans, we buy them buy the case! We grow the in the garden and can them ourselves, but we didn't get many this year. I like those with a little 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup. But usually I just eat them plain. If you have corn you can jazz it up with a little dried dill I like to sear it in a frying pan for a few seconds with just a tiny bit of pam. My mother in law always tosses whatever veggies she has in a frying pan with garlic salt and pam. Kind of a quick stirfry sort of thing.

Good luck!! It's hard when the cupboards look bare.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:07 AM   #6  
Alis volat propiis

S/C/G: 270/See Slider/145-140

Mmmm... I love tuna too, but it was hard for me to get used to ff mayo. So i started eating it without any mayo. I love to cut up pickles into it, along with onions, celery seed and black pepper. No mayo needed!

Unfortunately, I ate some tuna last week that I think was bad. It had a real tinny taste. After eating some, I realized it had been sitting in my car in the uber-heat for a few days. Ugh. So I'm kind of off tuna for the time being, but that won't last.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #7  

Do you have any canned tomatoes? Maybe some meat with tomatoes spread onto toast? Depending on the meat, could be high points, though.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #8  
Thin Girl In Hiding

You may think that I am crazy, but I like canned beets. I could eat a whole can myself! I like the diced ones best, they're fun to eat! They're like little squares of candy! Spray some butter spray on them and I am good to go!

YUM!
Old 08-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

For Broccoli Cheddar soup, the recipe that I use doesn't have that much fat in it.

You use a can of Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Condensed Soup, a can of milk instead of a can of water, and then all the veggies. I put in broccoli, a little onion, potatoes, and carrots.

I cant find the nutritional information for the soup, but I don't think the can of soup has that much in fat.

Its really really good, and really easy to make

~Liz
Closed Thread