Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-30-2005, 07:35 PM   #1  
I CAN do this!

Default Would like to run...not sure where to begin!

I've been exercising for 14 days now, for the first 30 days I am exercising EVERY day to make it a habit, then after that I will probably cut back to 5 days per week.

My daily workout routine has looked like this for the last 2 weeks

Mon: 30 minutes on Elliptical, 30 minutes on treadmill (approx 2.9-3.3 speed)
Tue: 30 minutes on Elliptical, 30 minutes on treadmill (approx 2.9-3.3 speed)
Wed: 30 minutes on Elliptical, 30 minutes on treadmill (approx 2.9-3.3 speed)
Thur: 30 minutes on Elliptical, 30 minutes on treadmill (approx 2.9-3.3 speed)
Fri: 30 minutes on bike (12 mph), 30 minutes on treadmill (approx 2.9-3.3 speed)
Sat: 30 minutes on Elliptical, 30 minutes on treadmill (approx 2.9-3.3 speed) and 30 minutes on the stationary bike
Sun: 30 minutes of cardio w/ video and 30 minute, 2 mile walk with hubby and dog

I'd love to start jogging/running, but every time I push the treadmill over 3.3 speed, my calf muscles ache horribly! Should I just wait on the jogging? I don't want to jog/run outdoors right now because it's 90+* at 10pm, and 110* during the day on average, so WAY too hot!

I've looked at the couch potatoe-5k program (coolrunners.com) and that doesn't seem right for me, at least not at the time... does anyone have any good ideas for how to start jogging/running?
LegallyBrunette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:15 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I say...just start. You've already started, by trying it. You say your calves ache when you go over 3.3. When do they ache...as soon as you go over? 10 minutes later? If you walk 30 min. on the treadmill, you're naturally not going to be able to just up and start running 30 min. on it. You may have to run 5 then walk 10, then run 5 more and on until you can increase your run time...over time.

It may also be your shoes. Are they designed for running. Do they work with your feet? Running's harder on the feet than walking, so you may need to have your feet checked to see if you have the right type of shoes.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:34 PM   #3  

If it hurts to go faster than 3.3, there's no reason you can't jog at a slower speed. You should be going slowly enough that you can talk while you run. Also, at first, just do 1 minute jog intervals during your walk. And heaven is right: make sure you have supportive shoes. Jogging is a high impact activity, even more so with extra weight. So you do need to coddle your feet and joints.

Have fun!
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:19 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I personally feel that if you jog every day to start you will injure yourself. You should go every second day or even every third... Start with a warm up walk of 5 mins. jog 1 min and walk 1 min for 20 mins then cool down 5 minutes then stretch a few minutes... Run to the nearest running store to get fitted for proper runners, don't go to WalMart or Target, your whole body will thank you for well fitting shoes...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:26 AM   #5  
I CAN do this!

Thank you everyone for your opinions I do have good running shoes, I bought them at a local sporting shop, and when I purchsed them I asked about running distances.
LegallyBrunette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 08:20 AM   #6  

I agree with Ilene - mix it up more and give your muscles a chance to recover. Go ahead and do the treadmill one day and the elliptical the next. Try to work up to 45 min on each (on their respective days). Don't just do a straight workout every time, either. Mix the intensity at least one day each week to gain strength and endurance. For example - walk on the treadmill at 3mph for 5 min and push to 3.5 for 30 seconds. Do that 5x and then cool down for 5 min at 2.8 for your 30 min. Another thing you can try is to keep the pace at 3.0 and increase the incline every 5 min for a minute and then back it down. You don't want your muscles to "know" what is coming. You can also change the intensity (resistance) on most ellipticals, too. Listen to your muscles - it is not all about speed - your calves are telling you to work up - keep doing this consistently and they will!

While this is all good cardio, don't forget strength training and flexibility, too. Be sure to stretch after your walks. Keep us posted - you are doing great!
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:43 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
While this is all good cardio, don't forget strength training and flexibility, too.
I definitely second that emotion!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:22 PM   #8  

Just wanted to say that I posted a question last week (scroll down to "Calling all former couch potatoes...") I received a lot of encouragement and advice, including a link to this web site:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

In my first work out, I walked at 3.5 and jogged at 4.5. It honestly was not as bad as I expected - certainly not easy; but not terribly difficult. I did this on Sunday and am VERY sore today, though.

I am leaving in just a few minutes to do my second work out. Good luck!
luvmycurves is offline   Reply With Quote