Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-29-2005, 07:51 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default Anyone have an opinion on EGGS?

I posted something similar on the nutrition thread, but I thought the laydees over here would have more specific knowledge, because of the shear protein goodness of the little things! Bless 'em!

Right, turns out, yesterday I ate 4 eggs! Count 'em! 4!

I've read previously that there's limits about how many eggs you should eat and blah blah blah, because of the cholesterol, but I've also read that the cholesterol in eggs doesn't raise your blood cholesterol, so not to worry.

What's the deal? And do you ladies eat 4 eggs a day?!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:10 AM   #2  
Meg

I eat one whole egg a day - sometimes two if I mix one in with tuna - and a ton of egg whites. Never had four whole eggs in a day though! The cholesterol is in the yolk, so I don't pay attention to how many whites I eat. But my overall cholesterol levels are ridiculously low, so eggs aren't a problem for me.

I've heard conflicting advice about how many are OK to eat per week and my guess is that it's a 'your mileage may vary' situation. My advice would be just to keep an eye on your cholesterol levels and see if your egg consumption affects them.

Little devils sure are good, aren't they?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:16 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

Hmmm I have no idea what my cholesterol is... I'm changing Docs soon so I should maybe ask! Always wondered about it though!

I think it was a bit of a fluke that I had 4, cos that was all I had in to eat!
Old 07-29-2005, 10:50 AM   #4  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that it is saturated fat which raises our cholesterol, not dietary cholesterol. I limit my whole egg consumption because of the fat content. I'll usually mix one whole egg with 3-4 egg whites, but I don't sweat it if I have a 2-egg omelette on occasion, since my overall fat consumption is pretty low. I'm pretty sure the most current studies have debunked the great eggs-will-give-you-heart-disease scare. But moderation, you know?

So go to the market, already!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:00 AM   #5  
I climb mountains!

Ok, I was curious, so I went to the American Heart Association, and here is a snippet of what they say about dietary cholesterol:

Quote:
American Heart Association recommends that you limit your average daily cholesterol intake to less than 300 milligrams. If you have heart disease, limit your daily intake to less than 200 milligrams. Still, everyone should remember that by keeping their dietary intake of saturated fats low, they can significantly lower their dietary cholesterol intake. Foods high in saturated fat generally contain substantial amounts of dietary cholesterol.
So there we are! For the record, 4 large eggs contain 304 calories, 20.47 grams of fat (6.33 of them saturated) and 868.3 grams of cholesterol. Yikes! Thank God for egg whites, that's all I have to say.

Thanks for this opportunity to learn.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:14 PM   #6  
Mel

I eat an average of 6-8 whites a day and maybe 2-3 yolks a week. My overall cholesterol is quite low, but the yolks just have too much darn FAT in them. I don't miss them at all.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:43 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

I ate 3 hard boiled egg whites (I don't like the yolks) for breakfast today - first time I've had eggs in a long time actually so it's good to see the info. Anyone know the nutritional info in just the whites?

Edit: Answered my own question, according to Hormel's (?) web site one large egg white has 17 cal/4g protein/0 Cholesterol. Not bad at all.

Last edited by JuliaTN; 07-29-2005 at 09:48 PM.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:55 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

I love eggwhites, took me a long time to get used to them without the yolk but now I rarely have a whole egg, not even one/week...I even put e-whites in my oatmeal ... I buy the liquid egg whites and use 4oz at a time, usually a couple of times/day...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 04:56 AM   #9  

I saw an article somewhere that said the advice for whole egg consumption per week was raised from 2-3 per week to 1 a day. That said, there is no limit on egg-whites.
When I was younger and stupid(er) I did an egg diet once which meant as many whole boiled eggs as you could eat for two weeks, and my cholesterol levels went sky-high. BOYS AND GIRSL? DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME..
Greekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:18 AM   #10  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

We could factor in constipation but we all eat so much fibre (f&v, porage/oatmeal, etc, etc) that we may as well factor it out straightaway.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 01:52 PM   #11  
aka Superwoman!

OKay, so maybe I won't eat 4 eggs ina day again!

Had one for breakfast with bacon and sausage - my Sunday treat! Not doing too bad today to say I'm taking a "rest day" from both food and exercise! I've found I don't really want stuff like doughnuts and muffins and all the rest of it! Yay for me!
Old 08-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #12  
I climb mountains!

FYI: I read this over in the Nutrition forum, and thought I'd share it here. Suzanne (3FC Goddess Extraordinaire) responded to this same question there, saying:

Quote:
A study published by the Harvard School of Public Health found no relationship between egg consumption and cardiovascular disease in a group of over 117,000 nurses and health professionals that were followed for eight to fourteen years. There was no difference in heart disease relative risk between those who consumed less than one egg a week and those who ate more than one egg a day. Saturated fats, on the other hand, are much more likely to increase blood cholesterol levels than consuming cholesterol itself.