Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-28-2005, 03:25 PM   #1  

Default Calling all former couch potatoes who are now runners!

Helloooo??? Anyone out there?

Were any of you seriously out of shape couch potatoes in the past who now run on a regular basis??? Not former atheletes who packed on some pounds for a few years, then got back into the swing of things.... I'm talking life-long couch potatoes, here.

I played basketball in high school; but, TRUST ME, the only reason they let me on the team was because of my height, LOL!!! Other that that, I've always pretty much been a sloth.

I am looking for some inspiration here. Currently, I can walk 2 miles in 30 minutes if I REALLY push myself.

Exactly how did you make the transformation?

Thanks!
luvmycurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:48 PM   #2  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Oh yes, a 260lb couch potato no less

I picked it up slowly. VERY slowly. But after a while you just feel your legs getting stronger, and you start to enjoy it.

The couch to 5k programme gets a lot of recommendations on here, so might be a good place to start. I didn't use it myself, although did something fairly similar, increasing my distance slowly but on a regular basis. It's amazing how quickly you pick it up really. I used to feel like I was about to die after about 2 minutes of what I would now consider a very slow jog. I can now run for an hour a lot faster than I could do those 2 minutes when I first started.

I never thought I'd be able to run, and really surprised myself. I bet you'd do the same!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #3  

I'm one!! I've always HATED running with a passion. I started the couch to 5k program and I love it. I started at 206 lbs and have lost about 50 lbs.

Now, I run about 2 to 3 miles 5 times a week! I NEVER thought in a million years that I would be doing that. My suggestion is to start SLOWLY.

Here's the program:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Also, get some GOOD running shoes. I made the mistake of just going to a department store and just getting any old pair of running shoes. IMO, go to a specialty running store becuase they know how to fit you with the right pair by watching you walk. My old shoes were causing knee and hip pain.
Celeste0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #4  

I started with the Couch to 5 k too, and the 60 seconds of running that I had to do the first time were hard!!! Not to mention the 20 minutes of running without walking that I had to do after a few weeks on the program... Now on the other hand, I run 3-4 mornings a week, and I'm training for my second marathon. I never thought I could do it, but once I started I discovered that I love running. And this is the girl who used to cry whenever she had to run in high school! Just start, find a program that starts slowly, and take your time. If I can do it, then anybody can do it!

Here is the link to the program by the way, have a look at it and see if you like it. I loved it, but I thought it progressed a bit too fast (ref the 20 min run I mentioned) http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Anine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:30 PM   #5  
Natty Dread Runner

Me, Me, ME....

All my life I was below 130 until I got pregnant, I over ate during pregnancy and during my maternity leave, so I ended up 170. I played a bit of Basketball a few months before I got pregnant, but that was it, the most exercise i got was walking to the bus stop and back to get to work or where ever, then i got a car so that ended.

So this spring I started walking then a friend suggested running, but she was more advanced than me and I ended up tired after 1 minute and injured cause i keep going for an hour (stopping every so often) and had cheap shoes, so I took a 2 week break and started the couch potato to 5K plan, I'm just finished wk 3 and I never thought I would get that far.

So my advice to you is Get good shoes like the otehr posters suggested and take is slow, follow the program at the link they provided, it works. (Although I'm dreading the 20 min run annie spoke of).

You could also visit the newbie thread at the coolrunning discussion forum.
sugarbianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:32 AM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Yup. I was over 250 pounds for years. The last activity I'd had in life was in high school, nearly 20 years earlier. I'd NEVER been a runner. But when I wanted to start exercising, walking bored me. I wanted an exercise that would push the heart rate up and fast. And running would do that.

However, I quickly discovered it also left me out of breath within just a short distance. I never measured it, but it was kinda like a jog of 50 feet or less as a guess, and I'd be panting and have to walk again. I'd get a stitch in my side, be out of breath, and ended up with callouses and blisters.

But I kept at it, kept trying different shoes, and bought the moisture wicking socks. The callouses and blisters went away, my running distances grew. As my problem knee began to give me trouble, I began wearing a knee support and that took care of that.

I've been in two 5K races and was running about 3 miles daily up until I was 1 month pregnant. Now I'm back to walking for the time being. But this from starting at a 1 mile a day walk.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:04 AM   #7  

I'll just say "me too". I started this "journey" at 230 pounds . I walked for a year (and lifted weights). Then decided to "push it to the next level" and asked my trainer to design a program to teach me how to run. I also registered for a 5K to keep me focused and gave myself close to 3 months to get there. I found the "Couch to 5K" program a bit too complex. My program started with walking for 3 min and jogging for 1 for 20 min. Eventually (very slowly - no more than a 10% increase per week) I got to jogging 3 min and walking 1 with a goal of completing the 5K in under 40 min. My time was 38:28.

After that I decidedto start training for a marathon. Silly, I know, but the planets just aligned and that marathon was perfect timing and place for me. I am now at 4:1s (4 min jogging : 1 min walking) for my long (10 miles +) runs and 5:1s for my shorter. i will probably go to all 5:1s the week after next (as next week is 16 miles - just want to finish )

You can do this - find a program that makes sense to you, modify as necessary and keep your eyes on the goal - to finish! That joy I felt after my 5K is something I will remember and cherish for the rest of my life!
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:32 AM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Me too! I posted on the Success Stories forum a while back, but here is my story again. I have failed (or gotten a D-) every single running fitness test I ever took in my life, starting from the first one in 7th grade. During my first year of high school, they made us run twice a week, and I never seemed to get any better, I was always terrible, so I thought it was impossible for me to get any better. The idea of running a mile without walking was something totally impossible.

I hated running because it was so hard for me, so whenever I attempted to exercise after I stopped taking PE classes (which was not very often at all, let me tell you), I would do the elliptical or something, which I found much easier.

I never make new year's resolutions, but this year my bf talked me into it, so I made it my goal to be able to run a mile without walking. I started out being able to slowly jog 1/8 mile (one lap on our gym's indoor track) before I felt like I was going to collapse. Well, I kept at it, and that 1/8 mile gradually became 1/4 mile . . . I added half a lap at a time. When I finally managed to run a mile without stopping (after maybe two months) I think it took me about 16-17 minutes.

Well, this morning I set a new personal record for running a mile -- 10:40. I can run five miles without stopping now, and I LOVE IT. If I can do it, so can you!! I didn't use any set training program, I just tried to run a little further each time. Some of it involved tricking myself into it ("just one more lap, just one more lap" until I ran 4 more laps). But whatever works! It's possible!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:49 AM   #9  

Thanks for posting the link for couch to 5K. I printed it out for my DH who wants to start running. I have been doing speed intervals as part of my treadmill workout rotation. It is 5 min of walking followed by time jogging, and repeating the series a few times. Right now I am up to 2 min. jogs. I'd like to be able to go running in the fall when the weather outside is a little more agreeable.
jjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Me! My heighest was 197 pounds, I still don't walk very fast-about a 18 min mile and I run about a 15 min mile. I'm running 4x a week now, 2x with a group and 2x by myself. It's only about 2-3 miles for the longest runs. I feel so good when I'm done and my brain isn't foggy.

I read a great book that gave me the inspiration to start running,
"No Need for Speed : A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running" by John "the penguin" Bingham. He was such an inspiration for me to get off my fat butt and start doing something. He said that his first running was down to the end of the driveway and back before he collapsed. He talks about how the you've won by having the courage to start exercising. I had a hard time doing the running by myself, I always found reasons not to do or I'd hurt myself.

I joined a running club that had some beginning running programs and a "back of the pack" group -slower runners, more then 13 min miles. They even have races where they keep half the good food hidden for the "back of the pack" group. Joining the running club and going to the runs has given me great accountabiltiy. I have to run on my own during the week or I won't be able to keep up with the others.

Do you live in an area with a running club?

Some running shoe stores have fun runs that leave from their stores on certain mornings or evenings each week, then they also usually have snacks for after the run. Here's an example: http://www.fleetfeet.com/events/
My local fleetfeet has several runs each week. It's a great marketing thing for them.

Can you get together a group of women who might be interested in doing the Couch to 5K training, maybe post a note in your community paper or something?

It's important to have good shoes to prevent injury. Don't go to Walmart or Payless. For your first pair, go to a running store and let them show you how they fit them to your feet. They actually watch you walk with and without shoes, then let you try on several pairs and tell you to go run in them. I found that I've been getting my shoes too narrow. I didn't realize that the little toe jutting out of my shoe was bad. He kept getting me wider and wider shoes until we found one that actually supported the entire foot. It was amazing the difference. Once I learned the differences and what to look for, I keep an eye at on the sales at the different stores. One pair of $90 was enough for me-did I mention I'm frugal?

have fun!
Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:10 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

I'd just like to thank luvmycurves for starting this thread. I'm really wanting to run, but as I have enough troubles walking a mile right now, I feel like being able to run is far off for me.

Everyones replies has given me the inspiration to know that it CAN be done - I just need to keep at it!
Artemis__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:31 PM   #12  
diamondgeog

I am not a runner, but I came across this and I thought anyone reading this would dig it.

http://www.naturalovens.com/lib/cont...petesstory.pdf
Old 07-29-2005, 02:51 PM   #13  

WOW!!! Thank you so much! I'm so inspired that I'm getting a little teary-eyed. I really want to do this!

I'm going to take your suggestions into consideration and go for it!!!

Imagine fat, waddling, me jogging down the road one day. Huh!
luvmycurves is offline   Reply With Quote