Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-25-2005, 09:38 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Cool Runners #16, July 25-31

Morning Runners,

I got out today and waddled 1.5 mi. 30 min. Not so bad for a 7 month preggo. Tour de France is over now, so I have to get my exercise somehow.

I saw a bird nesting in a cactus and a huge jackrabbit the size of a small dog. It was kind of on the hot side by the time I got back, but I'm glad I went.

How are you all doing?

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:45 AM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

5k this morning, didn't time myself. It felt good though, especially considering that my bf had to literally drag me out of bed to get me to the gym!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Today is my day off. Nice easy start to the week. I'll probably walk the dog this evening though.
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:21 AM   #4  
Running Babe

I did 13K with a heart rate of 122bpm so needless to say I was out for a long time yesterday but stayed in my zone 1. Today is an off day but I might work out my upperbody... depends how I feel, I get a mammogram and an ultrasound this afternoon (found a lump, my doc thinks it's benign, but wants to double check).

Anyhoo, it was five years ago today I walked into WW at 243.4 (not my heaviest weight but close). I am right now 15lbs above my WW goal (18lbs above my personal) so I have gone back to WW. I am embarrassed by smacking on weight while I have been super consistent with exercise. Ah well, I am back on track and that in itself has made me feel better. I figure though by dropping 18lbs I should see some nice improvements.

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:05 AM   #5  

Hope you don't mind me joining My name is Celeste (hence the username ) and I have been running since April. I run 2-3 miles 5 times a week.

My goal is to run the Run for the Cure here in Dallas in October.

Today I ran 2.5 miles!
Celeste0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:41 PM   #6  
Natty Dread Runner

Hey ladies,
Welcome Celeste.

today if my off day, bf and I are going cycling about 5pm today. I can't wait to run tomorrow, cp35k wk3 d2 for me!
sugarbianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:10 PM   #7  
Made my Goal weight!

Hey ladies

Well today I did a 6 miler...(9.6 km) and it went GREAT...I felt great running and I went a good pace and didnt want to die after I was done = good run for me...

Glad to hear everyone is keeping up the pace and running through the heat!

CHeers

Leanne
LeanneM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 194/175.2/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone! I'd like to join, if that's ok! Well, I bought everything I need to run, and I start tomorrow. I'm so excited! I can't believe I'm excited, because I don't like exercise that much. I'm going to start off slow, so we'll see how things go tomorrow.
josie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:47 PM   #9  

Hi Josie!! :wavey:

OK, question for all you veteran runners...When I was finishing my 3rd mile, I felt like I was going to PUKE. Any thoughts? Was I too dehydrated?

I took a day off today, tomorrow, I'm going to do my 3 miles.
Celeste0722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I did intervals today. 6x800m. The last two were tough to finish at the right pace, but I managed it. And jogged very, very slowly for my 2k cooldown.

I'm going to register for the 1/2 at the end of August tomorrow. Dh wants me to register him for the 10k the same day. He has an interesting training plan. He's lucky to be a naturally decent runner despite not running for 12 years until a couple of weeks ago 2 days before a 5k race. He can already run 5-6k at a pretty quick pace (around 5 min/km). His plan is to run 2x per week, adding around 1k distance or 5 minutes time each week. He finishes every run he does totally exhausted though. Like, lay down at the bottom of the stairs exhausted for a minute before climbing up stairs. His objection to slowing down: "I do feel like I'm going slowly; it doesn't feel like I'm going very fast when I start out."

Anne, glad to hear you got out for a walk/waddle (if you're anything like me at 7 months). Sounds beautiful too.

Ali, why were you keeping your heart rate so low? I've considered getting a heart rate monitor in the fall and doing all my runs at less than 70% max over the fall/early winter, but even then I think I'd have a heart rate higher than that. And I think you're a bit younger than I am.

Leanne, glad to hear your program is going well.

Jo, good luck getting started!

Celeste, I've never experienced anything like that on a normal run. I did feel a bit ill by the end of my intervals today, but I was really pushing myself by the end. Were you well hydrated? Too well hydrated (full, sloshing stomach)? Had you eaten too soon before running (or, not recently enough). Were you pushing yourself too hard? (You should be able to speak.) Was it really hot/humid/sunny? Any of those might cause you to feel sick.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:18 PM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

Celeste, feeling like you want to puke is a sign of pushing too hard for too long. What constitutes too hard and too long can vary from day to day, depending on what you ate, how hot it is, etc etc.

Only Me, good going on the 800s. Those kind of intervals always made me want to puke!

Welcome Jo! Hi paperclippy, skinnyjeans, Ali, and Leanne!

Where's Ilene?

I waddled two days in a row. Fell asleep at 6:30 last night, and slept until 4. Couldn't sleep any more after that, so just went for a very early walk. Good thing I went so early because it was already hot. Geez.

Hope everyone is running hard, or enjoying your rest days!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:13 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

I'm here , thanks for asking Anne, I love to see pregnant women waddle, it's really cute, honest!!

I had a good long run on Saturday, but I haven't run since... On Sunday I did a good leg workout at the gym so no run but a good 28k bike ride... Yesterday I only had time for a chest workout in the AM no cardio or run, before going for my dad's treatments... Today, lazyness took over but it felt good to have a day off... Tomorrow my brother takes my dad for the treatments so I will get to the gym for some a back workout and a run either on the treadmill or outside depending on the weather. I'll get up early to get a run in...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:51 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Anne p.s.: Thanks for starting Cool Runners !!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:07 AM   #14  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Good morning everyone! I did intervals this morning, but not as longs as Only Me's! I'm not sure I'm doing them right either . . . I run fast 200m, then jog slowly (really slowly) 200m, etc. I did 10 today (4k total). Are you supposed to jog a recovery lap, or are you supposed to just stop and rest before running fast the next time? I'm so clueless about this stuff.

This week has been a good running week for me so far -- I did my full 5k on Monday (lately I've been getting tired at 4k), and today I did 2 more intervals than usual and felt great. Circuit training yesterday was good, I'm barely sore at all, and I'm hoping tomorrow's class won't make my legs too sore, because I want to do a timed mile on Friday. I've kind of fallen off the bandwagon on weekend long runs though since it's been so hot out (I always want to sleep in on the weekend), I've just been taking both days as rest days.

Anne - wow, already hot at 4am? Ugh. I'm glad my gym has an indoor track!

Only Me - LOL about your husband! I'm always jealous of my bf, he can run way faster than me easily and doesn't get nearly as tired. It's a combination of him being way taller and more muscular than me, and the fact that he's been working out regularly since he was a teenager, whereas I only started in January!

Ilene - I'm sure you deserve the rest days!

Sounds like everyone else is doing great! Stay safe in all this heat, ladies!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:24 AM   #15  

Hi guys! You may be seeing more of my shortly with a bunch of questions too. I signed up for the PF Changs / Rock n' Roll / Half Marathon in Phoenix through Team in Training last night. I am still in a bit of shock that I did it.

I just started running about 10 days ago. I have been fairly consistent with exercise though for the last year so I'm doing okay. This morning I ran for a full hour on the treadmill, 3.63 miles at a 16:30 pace. I'd like to up the pace a little.

Any recommendations on shoes, socks, shorts? I have birthday money to spend and have been waiting to get running stuff!
sherpamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote