Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-23-2005, 03:51 AM   #1  
Melanie

Thumbs up Breast reduction anyone?

Hello Ladies,

I am a 25 y/o female, happily married for 4 years with a beautiful baby boy who's a year and a half.

I am extremely big chested, even when I was at my thinnest in high school (130 lbs) I was a 34 DDD. Now I am a 38 G/H. I have had lifelong back issues because of it, not to mention the way I was labeled by men through out my life. One of my biggest motivations for losing weight right now is getting a breast reduction. If I am down to a normal weight, my insurance company will pay for almost the whole reduction, again BIG motivation!

Has anyone here had a breast reduction? If so, would you do it again knowing what you know now? Were you pleased? What was the recovery like? I'd love to hear your story!

Melanie
Meldiggety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:35 AM   #2  

I am planning on getting a reduction myself (along with skin removal). I have to lose about 50 more lbs though. I remember being in a d cup by the time I was in 7th grade. I have been in a dd since highschool. I would love to have perky c cups! I'm only 4'10" so the boobs take up half my body! lol.....
ItzTiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #3  
Mindi

I had the surgery about 6 years ago. I've gained weight since then and even at that they aren't as big as they used to be! I weighed about 170 when I had my surgery done and they took 4 pounds off of the right side and 3 pounds off of the left. I can't tell you what a relief that was for my back and neck. I had been in a car accident and had problems with my hands going numb, the surgery totally ended my numb hands! Even now, at nearly 270 I'm only a 44 C. Before my surgery I was a 42 E and even then I stuffed myself into the cups! I was 43 when I had mine done and I wish I had done it at 23! My daughter did it at 19 because she was so athletic and so large chested it was hard for her to run. We were both ecstatic and how much better we looked and felt after the surgery was done. Good luck!
MindiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 04:10 AM   #4  
Melanie

Pookie- thanks for your reply and the info you provided, along with the support - you seem like a real gem Hopefully my husband and I will not have moved by the time I get my breast reduction because as of now we live close to my family and most likely my mom could help with the baby during my recovery time.

Tiffy - I feel your pain! I am not too tall myself.... 5'3 to be exact and my boobs take up such a large portion of my upper body, it's just crazy. I bet I'd lose near 8 - 10 lbs just from a reduction! I have to special order bras online - they don't come in my size in the stores anymore - such a pain!

Mindi- Thanks for sharing your story. There has not been one person I have talked to yet who's had the surgery and regreted it. Everyone seems to be so much happier afterwards! I am glad your daughter was pleased with her decision as well, especially being athletic! I remember cheerleading in high school was difficult - LOL!
Old 07-24-2005, 09:33 PM   #5  

my boobs are so heavy that my bras last no time at all. I guess that my boobs alone weigh 20lbs or more. The surgery looks painful, but I know it will be well worth it in the long run. I'm just hoping that they can do my arms or tummy at the same time just to get things over with..
ItzTiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:22 PM   #6  

I had a breast reduction about 8 years ago. I am barely 5' tall and I was a 34 DDD at the time, I'm now a C. My back and shoulders hurt, my skin hurt so badly I had to wear a bra all the time. It has been the best thing ever!!! The thing I noticed more than anything else was the summer... it seemed so much cooler. My recovery was very easy. I think I was so excited about the surgery that I didn't have *much* pain after. I only took extra strength Tylenol. The biggest pain- to me- was the sports bra I had to wear for a few weeks... I wanted those suckers to be free!

Abbey
Mrs_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:41 PM   #7  
Melanie

Hi Abbey,

Thanks for sharing, that is very encouraging. I am looking forward to no back pain, buying bras that fit, buying blouses that fit, exercising without my chest bouncing in my face (lol), and having better posture so I don't turn into a hunch back Also looking forward to men actually looking me in the eye when they talk to me! Also, I don't know about everyone else who is big chested, but my boobs weigh so much that they actually push my stomach down and it makes my stomach look shorter and fatter - know what I mean?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:24 PM   #8  
sfmarbury

Hi there! I had a breast reduction and lift in 1990. It was when I was still heavy - pre-gastric bypass. My chest has never changed size at any weight. Next to the GB it is the surgery I am happiest I've done. I would recommend it to anyone - they key is to have the procedure done with the surgeon leaving the nipple attached to the nerves if at all possible.

Good luck!
sfmarbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:13 PM   #9  
Melanie

Hello Sonni

I have heard about some Dr.'s removing the nipple completely and people having no sensation afterwards - Yikes! That is good advice to find a Dr. who can do the surgery without doing that!

Thanks for your input!
Melanie
Old 08-02-2005, 06:08 PM   #10  

Meldiggety - Your story is the same as mine. I went to see my doctor about my plantar fasciitis and she told me if I can get down to 175 my insurance will pay for the whole thing. Before I talked to her I had planned on paying for it myself but hey if the want to help me out well... When I talked to her on June 17 I was 249 I am now 227. This is my motivation right now.
momX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:33 AM   #11  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Hi there, Melanie! I had a breast reduction, and wrote about my experience here.

I'd absolutely do it again. I wouldn't hesitate to do it if I were you! Feel free to PM me or post here if you have any questions that I can help with. I'll try to remember to check back here, just in case.

Go for it, girl! Seriously.

Great pic, by the way! Take care.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:28 AM   #12  
Melanie

Momx3 - Sounds like we have a lot in common! We will have to share stories after we have the procedure!

Sarah - Thanks so much for posting! I read your story and it was very informative! How are you doing, by the way? You seem like an amazing woman who's been through a lot! PM me if you get a chance