Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #1  

Default hair loss?

has anyone who has had the bypass or lapband had a problem with hair loss? I hate how thin my hair is now. you can almost see my scalp on the top of my head. anyone have any good tips on getting my hair to stop falling out? I drink the nasty nutrition shakes like my dr. said to do but I really haven't seen a change in my hair.
ItzTiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:27 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

first of all, congratulations on reaching one-derland!!!!!

second... yes. hair falls out and gets thin. and yes, you're doing a good thing by drinking the protein shakes. BUT, the rapid weight loss leads to major hormonal changes, and THAT'S the main reason our hair falls out.

there IS good news - IT COMES BACK!! and better than before [in most people - i've only seen one person whose hair didn't come all the way back].

so, chin up, tiffy... you're doing ok. it's temporary. short haircuts help hide the thinning, but not everyone wants to do that..
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:13 PM   #3  

I just figured out what "onederland" is.lol I'ts been so long since I have been in "onederland" I'm still in shock that I'm even here lol......
Old 07-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #4  

Congrat's on your weight loss and making it to one-derland!!! I started loosing my hair at about 4 months out from having my surgery. I was so upset about it, and was really worried that it wouldn't grow back. My hairdresser insists that it is because of the anesthesia that is used during surgery. He has been doing hair for 20 years, so I'm inclined to believe him. He says he sees hair loss from almost anyone who has any kind of surgery where you are "put under", and that it's not just from this kind of surgery. I ended up having my long hair cut short, and now have a lot of new growth, and no more hair loss. What my hairdresser says is that there isn't anything that can be done to keep it from falling out because the anesthesia causes a lot of damage to the hair root. You should brush it often, to get the dead stuff out. Consider getting a shorter hair cut so that you have more body, and the thin-ness won't show as much. Your hair will grow back, it's temporary.
My4Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:00 AM   #5  

My hairdresser told me the same thing, and I agree. I have had 2 other surgeries beside wls, and have lost hair after them all, and it does come back.
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:42 PM   #6  

I lost hair with my hysterectomy and with my lapband surgery. It is growing back, so I have unintended bangs. I cut it to my shoulders and that helped how it looked. Someday I hope it will grow all the way back in (to my waist) but I have to have another surgery, so it won't be any time soon. Sigh...

At least I had plenty of hair to start with. I have been using Nioxin shampoo and treatment, too. Not really sure if it helps. I took Biotin for a while and that seemed to help, but it might just coincided with my hair starting to grow back anyway.

I hate the hair loss, but the weight loss is worth it!
Chickita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:21 PM   #7  

I had my surgery over 2 years ago, and my hair never came back. I am trying to get more protien in my diet (something I'm bad about doing). I started taking biotin about a week ago, keeping my fingers crossed that it helps. I was thinking about getting somekind of hair treatment but they are so colstly and it's just not in my budget right now. my hair is really thin at the hairline around my forehead, but everywhere else it's fine, thinner than it use to be but still pretty thick.

Tiffany