Old 07-07-2005, 03:47 PM   #1  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

Default Learning to Cook Veggies...

One of my goals for July was to learn to cook 2 new veggies [and learn to eat them. ]
So... last night I got a spaghetti squash and tried it. I cut it in half, and baked it cut sides down for about 30minutes at 350. I didn`t have marinara sauce so I used this.. tomatoe/spinach sauce that was ok, but not great. I was really surprised by how similar the texture really is to pasta! It didn`t have much taste, which is good since I'm not a fan of squash usually.
Basically, it was ok but I don`t think I prepared it in a way that makes me want to eat that dish again.
Anyone have any ideas?

Also.. I think my next veggie to tackle is the carrot. I like them raw but I've never been able to stomach them cooked. Plus, a lot of places just drench them in butter and that seems like it kind of defeats the purpose. Does anyone have any tips for carrots?
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:34 PM   #2  

I much prefer baby carrots for cooking or eating raw. Either way, I like to boil them in water to which I've added some chops of fresh ginger and/or some chunks of orange peel, along with a little salt. Gives them a lot of flavor and NO fat.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:05 PM   #3  
i luv my dog!

HI Lizzie,
I'm from SC and have lived many years in Colatown. I'm a Gamecock through and through.
Congrats on setting a goal of learning to cook more veggies. Here is some info on different ways to cook spaghetti squash. fabulousfoods.com
and here are some recipes on 3FC (South Beach forum) for ways to cook it: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...92591#poststop

Carrots are so versatile and are called for in many recipes, plus they're economical and a bunch goes a long way. What I've found is that how you cut them really helps in their appeal for certain recipes. It's also a factor to consider for cooking times, if you're cooking them (wink). Since you favor them raw, you could make a carrot slaw, or carrot "chips" for snacking. I like adding them to my stir fry recipes, cut really thin on the diagonal (since their cooking time can be lengthy if too thick). Plus, you could also juice them. I live in Europe and one of my favorite juice drinks is called a multivitamin blend, and one of the main ingredients is carrot juice. Don't forget about carrot cake (for special occaisions, of course) or you could incorporate them into healthy muffins in place of zucchini. My DH adds carrots to his split pea and ham soup recipe as well.

Sorry I'm not offering an actual recipe, but the possibilities are endless with carrots.

So, will you be going to the Irmo Okra Strut and learning about that veggie next?!!!
a broad abroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:00 AM   #4  

I'm a huge fan of roasting vegetables and carrots are one of my favourites. They come out really sweet and a bit carmelised. Roasted butternut is also really good. Also onions roasted are good. You can also add grated (?shredded) carrot to muffins or minced meat.
megsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:51 AM   #5  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

Oooh thanks everyone for the ideas!!!

broad - Cool! Another gamecock on the board!! I am a junior journalism student here.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:50 AM   #6  
it's always something

I like spaghetti squash, but only if it's very well done so it's not crunchy. I seem to recall Bicker saying he would toss it with a little sweetener, cinnamon, and molly mcbutter. I've not tried that, but it sounds good
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:07 PM   #7  
prc
Professional YoYo Dieter

Default Spaghetti Squash can make the perfect lunch

I saute Mushroom and Bell Pepper in Fake - Zero-Calorie Butter Spray (I use "I Can't Believe it's not Butter") and Garlic...
Then, I nuke the spaghetti squash for 10 minutes (after poking in a couple of holes)....

Spoon out the squash, Top with the sauted veggies and some Fat Free Parm and/or Mozz

YUM!!!!

Hope you enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WastedThermos
One of my goals for July was to learn to cook 2 new veggies [and learn to eat them. ]
So... last night I got a spaghetti squash and tried it. I cut it in half, and baked it cut sides down for about 30minutes at 350. I didn`t have marinara sauce so I used this.. tomatoe/spinach sauce that was ok, but not great. I was really surprised by how similar the texture really is to pasta! It didn`t have much taste, which is good since I'm not a fan of squash usually.
Basically, it was ok but I don`t think I prepared it in a way that makes me want to eat that dish again.
Anyone have any ideas?

Also.. I think my next veggie to tackle is the carrot. I like them raw but I've never been able to stomach them cooked. Plus, a lot of places just drench them in butter and that seems like it kind of defeats the purpose. Does anyone have any tips for carrots?
prc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/180/155

Height: 5' 1"

This doesn't have to do with squash, but it does have to do with cooking veggies...

I started buying those bags of broccoli/cauliflower so I wouldn't have to cut it up myself...

I get a bowl and put just a teeny bit of water in it, then I put a serving size of broccoli & cauliflower in it. I cut up a 1/4 inch or so slice of Velveeta (regular or Mexican) and lay the little cut up pieces all over the veggies. I pop it in the microwave for about 1 minute. Then I've got steamed broccoli/cauliflower with cheese!

It helps me get "up" my veggie intake...plus it adds about 7 grams of protein to my diet, which I always need (I had gastric bypass and I have to get in at least 60-75 grams of protein daily).
FluffyGirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:13 PM   #9  
LLV

I don't know if you like eggplant or not, but one of my favorite things to do is make eggplant 'spaghetti'. I got this idea from the FoodTV show, Good Eats.

Peel an eggplant and cut it into slices lengthwise. Thin slices, not big thick ones. Then you 'purge' the eggplant. Lay the slices on a rack, salt both sides of the slices, then let them sit for about 30 minutes. Put paper towels under the rack to catch the moisture that will drain off.

Once the eggplant is purged, cut each slice into 'spaghetti' type strips. Then saute it with whatever you want. I usually saute it with onions first, then dump in a can of diced tomatoes and add a little parmesan cheese.

It's wonderful!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote