Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 07:30 AM   #1  

Default Wednesday Chatter

I tried to go with Diva's Tuesday Talk kind of theme for a name but all I had was Wednesday Whine LOL. Anyway, we're halfway through the week!!
~misty
Old 07-20-2005, 08:31 AM   #2  
Alis volat propiis

S/C/G: 270/See Slider/145-140

Thank God! This seems like the slowest week ever! I've found that, for me, being WW actually makes the weeks seem like they're moving more slowly. Is it because I'm so focused on eating and when I'll eat and how well I do each day -- more time-focused thought in general? Sounds about right. Or maybe I'm just Wedneday whining!
Old 07-20-2005, 08:44 AM   #3  

Good Morning

How is everyone this fine day? I am in such a bright and sunny mood!

Maggie-You crack me up!!! The 21 banana Salute was just too much!

Jill-Hope your paper went smoothly and that you didn't have to stay up too late. I think you will enjoy being a teacher. I miss it terribley, but then somedays I don't. I was a speech therepist for preschool kids. I traveled so it's not like I had my own classroom or anything, but I miss the kids. This past school year would have been my last year to teach anyway, b/c I do not have nor am I able to get my master's degree. My provisional expired in June. I am gald you liked WW. It really helps when you look forward to going.

Hippohips, Jill explained the 10% very well, but I just wanted to add for those of us with a bit mroe to lose it's kind of something to shoot for, so your goal doesn't seem so far away. Sometimes it can be over whelming when you look at that ultimate goal and it's so far far away. So tehy break it down for you and give you little incentives along the wat. If you attend meetings you recieve a 10% key chain, then a little thing to put on it after you've been doing ww 16 week, then after you've reached your goal and when your each lifetime. Last night I got a little cardstock "I lost 5 Pounds award". As you lose 5 pounds you get little star stickers, if you do something well but maybe not such much a loss you get bravo stickers, you also get little things at 10, 50 and 100 pound losses. Can I just say this is my third foray into meetings and I want that darn keychain already!!!

I did something like that for myself though. I bought a charm necklace and charms for reaching my 10%, and a star for losing 25 pounds. I also had a runner to remind me of what I want to be (fit and healthy) and a key to remember hwo I ahev to get there. When I gained back the weight I had lost I took off the 10% and the star. I left on the runner and the key. But my son grabbed the chain and broke it. Then I dropped the 10 in my bathroom and I can't find it anywhere, it was only the size of my pinky nail. But as soon as I get my keychain I am getting another 10. Oh and a new chain LOL.

BTW Hippohips that comment about Tinkerbell was too funny. I have heard alot fo people say thier shoes are now too big after lsoingw eight. I know as you gain weight your feet spread to help bear the weight, I think as the weight comes off they kind of get back to normal. Also as you drink more water there is less swelling due to water retention.

So where are:
Freedom&Light
Izzywas-Out of town, but coming home soon
Izzysgirl-I see you have posted your menus so you're still here. I worried about you since this is week 6. We know you can do this, just stick with it and us!!
Calpurrnia-maybe you are still at Hogwart's?
AmyMCGS-how's the cook book going?
MeRam2
Susiec123
CATOTX
bellarotunda

I want to say WELCOME! to all of you new ladies who haven't posted in the daily threads. Don't be shy, come on join right in! Any of you who are MIA, we're thinking about and hoping all is well. Maybe I will PM you to see if everything is going ok. I like all of you so much and I appreciate all of your support I hate to see you diasappear.

Andrea didn't seem to come along to this board and she's teh one who got us all together.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:34 AM   #4  

I was reading through yesterdays menus and points to get and idea for breakfast. and I noticed Maggie, taht you wrote down for your potential lunch: * Turkey and cheese on a roll with mustard, lettuce, onions, tomatoes -- guessing - 14 (3 slices turkey - 2 each = 6; 2 slices cheese - 2 each = 4; long hard roll -- 4)

But Turkey is 2 points of 2 ounces or 1 slice. I always thuoght they were talking about like Thanksgiving turkey, not deli sliced turkey. B/c if you weigh a slice of deli turkey (I get mine thinly sliced but not wafer) they weigh about 1/2 an ounce. So 2 slices of deli turkey is equal to an ounce, which I translate to mean about 1 point (since 2 ounces equals 2 points). I am I doing this wrong? I eat alot of turkey and I weigh it rather than count slices, but I average about 4 slices in two ounces, which I count as 2 points. So I want to make sure I am doing it right and that I am counting it for what it is supposed to be.

Also I have been buying these hoagie rolls from the bakery department of the grocery store. They do not have nutrion information. So I was thinking 4 points, but then I looked it up in my book and it had a hard roll that weighed 2 ounces as 3 points. So I weighed my rolls and they were 2 ounces, they were about 6 inches long. So I counted them as three points. But you think it should have been 4?

HMMMMM

After all this I still haven't decided what to haev for breakfast LMAO!!
~misty
Old 07-20-2005, 09:39 AM   #5  
Alis volat propiis

Misty, you're probably right. When I don't have my scale, I tend to overestimate, which I guess is better than underestimating.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #6  

That's true it's better to be over than under. I was just afraid that I had been eating all these extra points and not counting them. Like I bought two packs of english muffins not realizing one wasn't light. I ate two of the before I realized the difference. SO I had to go back through and fix my points for two days to add in the extra two points those muffins were. I ended up feeding the rest to the kids LOL.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:55 AM   #7  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

A wonderful Wednesday to everyone!!

I wasn't online yesterday-- worked all day (I only work two days a week) and just didn't get time to come online and post.

I've got the cookbook all put together and I'm finding it very useful. I'm printing out recipes to try, points lists (fast food, etc) and putting it all in a binder.

We all slept in late today so I've got to get moving-- but I had to share, when I weighed myself this morning I'd lost two more pounds!!!! I am so happy- and surprised after the weekend's feast--- only one more pound this week and I will have hit my short-term goal!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:05 AM   #8  
Thin Girl In Hiding

Talking

Here I am , here I am! I'm right here!
I'm sorry, I have been very busy cleaning my house the last few days. My parents will be here on Friday from Arizona. I have not seen them since Christmas! I am so excited!

This has forced me into doing the spring cleaning that I never did this year! LOL
Week six has been going VERY well! I am very excited about week 7 and 8, and 9 and 10... I am so pumped

I think this time it is all for real!

I'll keep posting my food as much as I can and pop in where I can, as is it will be very busy while my parents are here. They are VERY supportive of me, and have told me that they weill eat what ever I cook! YAY!

Okay, I gotta scoot.

Love you guys!!!

Izzy
( Lisa )
Old 07-20-2005, 10:18 AM   #9  
Alis volat propiis

So good to hear from you, Lisa! And I'm so glad you're doing OK on dreaded Week 6! It'll be over soon. Have a wonderful time with your parents. And think of all the exercise you're getting with the cleaning!

YAY, AMY! On the weight loss. One thing that I love about WW is that it's surprisingly forgiving. I think you have to mess up really big time to have a gain, or be retaining water. And even when you do, it's usually fairly easy to get back on track. Even when you're not ready to do it, you at least have a very clear-cut and simple plan of action that works and that you know is there waiting for you when you're ready.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:50 AM   #10  
Proud Slimmin' Sista!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistySeptember
Calpurrnia-maybe you are still at Hogwart's?

Oh wow! That's hilarious. I think part of me still is at Hogwart's.

*sigh* Actually, there's a reason I've been so absent lately. I've got these exams in October called comprehensive exams (comps for short, most likely what you'll hear me whining about in the very near future). For my comps I have a 67-book reading list, which is actually about half the size of the average reading list for graduate students in my program (basically...I rock ). So, for the past several days I've been trying desperately to diligently read for my comps. The summer days are flowing away, which makes me nervous, because it finally dawned on me the other day just how crazy and hectic this coming Fall semester is going to be. So I'm trying to read all the long stuff now.

So after spending so many hours reading, I get very tired, and kind of depressed. I have this strange habit of falling into a sort of post-partum depression when I finish books and plays (especially Shakespeare's), regardless if the book or play is actually depressing. I really do think it's akin to PPD because I get so enthralled with the text that once it's over, I feel like I've lost some very dear friends. It's so strange. But once I kind of get in my little funk, I don't like to drag other people into it because most of the people I talk to simply have never felt the same way, and I end up looking crazier than I actually am.

I have, however and to get this post back on-topic somewhat, been writing everything down and keeping strict track of my points. I am proud to say that I've been OP all week long! Even last night, after a WRETCHED graduate student concil meeting (about parking of all things *groan*), I had a glass of wine with some friends, and it was so SPLENDID. And only 2 points! I was so excited. So the wine last night took the place of my usual nightly ice cream. Oh, by the way, it was Yellow-Tail Shiaz Cabarnet (the purple label). Soooo yummy. Not too dry, not too sharp of a bite. Just very smooth and very tasty. And I'm very picky about my wines. I think I'm just going to have to go to the store sometime soon and pick up a bottle of my very own.

Well...this was very long...I hope it wasn't too boring to read.

On today's agenda for comps reading: Shakespeare's Richard II and Hamlet. Gah. Talk about depressing! Fortunately, though, one of my friends is coming over and we're reading aloud to each other. Should help curb that PPD.

Hope everyone is doing well! I'm so sorry for my absence! You guys are wonderful!!

Have a great day!
~Amanda

Last edited by Calpurrnia; 07-20-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:11 PM   #11  

So tired! *yawn* I wanted to spend all day packing, but I still have not been able to get boxes. The only place that will give me any is the grocery store under my building, but they have only had two and both tiny ones. Someone from freecycle -might- be able to bring some by tonight but I am not sure how that will work since I will not be here.

My husband went to work today but he still seems pretty sick. I am worried that I might be getting sick because I am just so tired, but I did only have about 4 hours of sleep. I need need need a nap, but I am a bad sleeper and might just sleep right through until 3 if I lay down now. bah.

I was sooo scared to step on the scale today. I do not know why. I was really hoping for a loss, and expecting the same as yesterday, and of course fearing a gain. I was just shaking and shaking! Then I brushed my teeth and thought oh no! I swallowed some of the water-that has to weigh! Was just so paranoid and such. Turned out to be even, so it was no big deal, but gee. Anyway, I had better get a nap. Am not going to get anything done while this tired anyway. Will read over posts later, but I hope everyone is doing okay!
Old 07-20-2005, 01:11 PM   #12  
Proud Slimmin' Sista!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippohips
I was sooo scared to step on the scale today. I do not know why. I was really hoping for a loss, and expecting the same as yesterday, and of course fearing a gain. I was just shaking and shaking! Then I brushed my teeth and thought oh no! I swallowed some of the water-that has to weigh! Was just so paranoid and such.
Oh man...that's EXACTLY how I was feeling last week before my weigh-in. I kind of had a breakdown Friday night and just kept thinking to myself, "Oh God, oh God...I drank too much water this week. I should have done more cardio. I shouldn't drink any water before going to bed. Last week's loss was just a fluke. It'll never happen again." Things like that.

I really wish we women wouldn't do that to ourselves, you know? It just makes weighing in a little more traumatic than it needs to be! But I'm glad you were able to hop on the scale!

I hope you and your husband feel better soon! Get some rest!

~Amanda

P.S. About the boxes...I'm not sure just how regional Wal-Mart is, but I know that in my area, if you go there around midnight (I know...super late), they tend to have freshly emptied boxes from that day's stock. If you haven't already, you might consider calling them and asking if they could supply you with some boxes. Good luck with all that!
Old 07-20-2005, 01:25 PM   #13  

Hello all! OH I am sooo glad to see some of our friends back!!!

cb: AMY FABULOUS JOB ON THE LOSS!!

Izzy-Your parents sound wonderful. I hope you enjoy having them. UGHHH! You reminded me that I too have to do my spring cleaning. My son's first b-day is next month and I ahve to clean before we have guests. My family will want to see what we have done with the kids' bedroom, and my upstairs is trashed!!! I see my family often but I usually drive to them.

Amanda-I hope you are able to get all that reading done. That's insane...maybe I don't want to get my master's LOL.

Hippohips-hope the search for boxes goes well. Amanda's idea is great. That's where my friends got there boxes when they moved. Get some rest!

Well off to read an incredibley dull and predictable romance novel...I've started it though so now I can't not finish it.
~misty
Old 07-20-2005, 03:41 PM   #14  

Hello Ladies,
Lizzy I so appreciate your enthusiasm. It is wonderful you have supportive parents enjoy your visit and you are correct this time we will succeed!
Old 07-20-2005, 03:56 PM   #15  

Am I the only one who will be embarrassed by the 10 percent keychain because then everyone at weight watchers will know how much I weighed? Where I go the people are not that much overweight or at least in comparison to me and that is making me nervous. Also when I get to that point it will be 30 pounds which is the number I dread it seems like so often I have hit that weight loss and then gone down the dumper to regain the same 30 pounds yet again.
Closed Thread