Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-18-2005, 10:48 PM   #1  

Default Wondering if anyone has this problem...

I've tried to get into walking. I do at least a .7 of a mile almost nightly, and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong-or if there's something wrong with me:P I've noticed that after i walk only a few houses length, my right leg really starts to get the burn, while I don't feel it on my left leg until I'm almost all the way home. Anyone else ever had this or have any idea what this could be?
xostephie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:19 AM   #2  

Hi,

I have NO idea why it does that but it does it to me too. When I'm on the treadmill my left leg will burn and my right is fine. My right actually never starts hurting. I don't know if it's the way I walk or what. After about 10 or 15 minutes it seems to go away though. Are you stretching before you walk? I don't know if that will help or not because I'm really bad about doing it myself *smile*

Sorry I can't be more help but it does happen to other people too!
Amber
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:44 AM   #3  

xo, me too! My right leg (bottom half/shin) just burns and burns while my left leg continues on, oblivious! Unfortunately, I have no idea what causes it. Maybe one leg is shorter than the other. I always stretch before and after and then rub lotion on my right leg as well. Does very little. heh Let me know if you figure it out!
hippohips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:56 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I *think* what may be causing this for you girls is that you may have a leg length discrepancy... See an orthopedic doctor and ask for a gait analysis and they will be able to tell if you are walking properly, if not you may need some orthotics. I am such an orthotics pusher since mine have helped me and my DD so much. It could also be that your feet are pronating and you need better shoes too... Get it checked one way or the other...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:03 PM   #5  

Well...I asked my friend who is like mr. fitness guru:P and he said that it could be a length issue as Ilene said, or that it could just be contributed to the fact that one leg is dominant over the other.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:11 AM   #6  

Hmm. Is the dominant leg the one that is suffering or that one that is happy? heh
hippohips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:41 AM   #7  

I would think the dominant leg would be the happy one because it is used to the exercise and the other is just trying to keep up....OR
is it the other way around and the dominant one is burning because it's overcompensating for the non-dominant leg....

I guess that was no help at all *hehe* I just thought the leg that burned was the non-dominant leg because it was my left and I am right handed so I assumed (and everyone knows what happens when you assume) that my right leg would be dominant...of course I don't know why what hand I write with would make any difference but that's how my mind works *smile*....interesting....

Amber
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:01 PM   #8  

I think that way as well Amber! I will say that I'm left handed, and I definetely feel as if my left side is stronger than the right. So I'm guessing that the one that feels the burn quicker is probably not the dominant one:P
Old 07-20-2005, 04:04 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

"Footedness & handedness" aren't necessarily the same for the same person. Whichever leg you would kick a ball or (if you should ever get the urge) start off a cartwheel with is your dominant leg. I'm left handed but right footed. The vast majority of people are right handed & footed. For those that are left handed, most are left footed as well. Makes me an odd bird.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote