Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #1  

Default tummy tuck anyone

Hi

I am going to see a surgeon today for a tummy tuck and lipo? Have any of you been through this? I am also considering a breast lift. Any info from you if you have been though this would be appreciated.
Deelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Have you checked out this thread in Maintainers?

Weight Loss & Skin FAQ
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:54 PM   #3  
sfmarbury

I had tummy tuck w/lipo. Compared to Gastric - piece of cake. Seriously, it was done out patient - I was in the hospital overnight, but only 23 hours total, so it cost less. I've even had a baby since my tummy tuck and I'm still flat!

Good luck!
sfmarbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #4  

Thank you for your replies. Mrs.Jim I looked up that thread and asked a lot of the questions when I seen the surgeon yesterday. Sonni I have not talked to anyone that has had a tummy tuck and lipo. Do you mind me asking what weight you were when you had it? If you want pm me. How long ago did you have it and how are your scars? It is the scars that scare me. When I seen the surgeon he said that it is done in their clinic and I will go home the same day. Any tips that you have would greatly be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:48 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelite
Thank you for your replies. Mrs.Jim I looked up that thread and asked a lot of the questions when I seen the surgeon yesterday. Sonni I have not talked to anyone that has had a tummy tuck and lipo. Do you mind me asking what weight you were when you had it? If you want pm me. How long ago did you have it and how are your scars? It is the scars that scare me. When I seen the surgeon he said that it is done in their clinic and I will go home the same day. Any tips that you have would greatly be appreciated.
Well, it's been over a year and a half since my FTT and over two years since my lipo so I think that (even though I'm not Sonni) I can give you my response.

I was 152 lb when I had both surgeries (best guess there - that was my average weight at the time). My PS took out 5,000 cc's of fat from my thigh/hip/buttock area. (that's generally the max safe limit). I had a few tiny scars where the cannula was inserted but they're pretty much gone now - if I SEARCH for them I can find them, but I have to search.

In retrospect, today I probably would pass on the lipo and have had a thigh lift instead since I have some loose skin in that area. I'm not sure what part of your body you're planning on having lipo done but if it's the thigh area, and you've lost a LOT of weight - you might want to ask your surgeon about having a thigh lift rather than lipo, otherwise you might not be happy with the results (I'm okay with mine but one of these days - when I win the lotto I want to go all the way and have the thighs lifted, but I was fortunate in that I didn't have nearly as much loose skin as many people I've seen on the internet, etc.)

My FTT was in early Dec 2003 - I still have a scar, but it doesn't bother me as it's under the 'bikini line' so it's not like anyone sees it - besides I can tell it's growing fainter with time (also I used silicone sheeting as soon as the stitches were out and I was healed up to help hasten the scar fading process - I'd personally advise against ointments and gels such as Mederma as they need to be reapplied frequently throughout the day and tend to get messy). I'm VERY happy with the results of my tummy tuck

Final advise - do a TON of research, spend as much time as you need finding an ethical doctor that you can TRUST and who answers your questions (keep in mind that a lot of plastic surgeons will not operate unless you have maintained a stable weight - not necessarily a 'goal weight' - for a certain amount of time - usually at least six months to a year), and did I mention research??
Old 07-20-2005, 11:37 AM   #6  

Thanks Mrs Jim. I did not realize that you also had surgery. Your info was informative. I have maintained my weight of 145 for 3 years. I will have lipo on my stomach area. My stomach skin is stretched from pregnacies. It has like that for 20 years so it is time to get it fixed. My surgeon was recommended to me from my family doctor. he is suppose to be one of the best in the city. I am going to check into that silicone sheeting. I don't think that we have it in Canada. How long did you use the sheeting? The surgeon mentioned something about sylicone but I think that it is an oinment.
Thanks again for the info. I feel more comfortable knowing that some has gone through the same thing and has seen good results.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:06 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Thanks Mrs Jim. I did not realize that you also had surgery. Your info was informative. I have maintained my weight of 145 for 3 years. I will have lipo on my stomach area. My stomach skin is stretched from pregnacies. It has like that for 20 years so it is time to get it fixed. My surgeon was recommended to me from my family doctor. he is suppose to be one of the best in the city. I am going to check into that silicone sheeting. I don't think that we have it in Canada. How long did you use the sheeting? The surgeon mentioned something about sylicone but I think that it is an oinment.
Thanks again for the info. I feel more comfortable knowing that some has gone through the same thing and has seen good results.
I didn't have WLS but did have PS.

About the sheeting - you should be able to find some scar reduction products at your pharmacy. Neosporin makes one (although you will probably need more than one box!), also Band-Aid makes one too. I did use the ointment for a bit, but it was SO messy and had to be reapplied throughout the day. My surgeon recommended BioDermis strips.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:49 PM   #8  

Mrs Jim excuse my ignorance but I don't know what it PS. I understand that WLS must stand for weight loss surgery, correct? I lost 30 pounds, but had stomach damage from my pregnancies almost 20 years ago. Thanks for the info on scar reduction products I will check it out. I clicked on your picture, you look marvelous. I am sure that you muct feel great.

Thanks again, Dee
Old 07-21-2005, 07:29 PM   #9  
Shannon

I too wanted to have something done. my lower abs have always been big even when i was 110 lbs. i want that gone and the pockets by your hips. also wouldn't mind a breast lift but would most likely have to have implants as well as i don't think a lift will do.

how long were you laid up and how much did it cost, if i'm not being too nosey...
omyomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:53 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Mrs Jim excuse my ignorance but I don't know what it PS. I understand that WLS must stand for weight loss surgery, correct? I lost 30 pounds, but had stomach damage from my pregnancies almost 20 years ago. Thanks for the info on scar reduction products I will check it out. I clicked on your picture, you look marvelous. I am sure that you muct feel great.

Thanks again, Dee
PS = plastic surgery
WLS = weight loss surgery

thanks Yup and I do feel awesome!
Old 07-21-2005, 07:57 PM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omyomy
I too wanted to have something done. my lower abs have always been big even when i was 110 lbs. i want that gone and the pockets by your hips. also wouldn't mind a breast lift but would most likely have to have implants as well as i don't think a lift will do.

how long were you laid up and how much did it cost, if i'm not being too nosey...
For my TT, I took 3 weeks off work, but I was up and around in a few days (not really 'up and around' as I had to deal with drains for a week afterwards and my surgeon said no working out for 5 weeks following surgery, but I could drive). I was off my pain meds within a week following surgery.

Cost differs depending on the surgeon and where you live - I happen to live in a high-cost area - the Midwest would probably be less expensive than California or NY. My TT cost me $7k for the surgery plus I had to pay the surgery center separately for the anesthesia and OR.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:55 AM   #12  
Shannon

how do they determine if you need a TT or lipo? my lower abs extend about 1 inch so would i need a TT or lipo do you think. and unfortunately i'm in ca so it'll cost more.
omyomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #13  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omyomy
how do they determine if you need a TT or lipo? my lower abs extend about 1 inch so would i need a TT or lipo do you think. and unfortunately i'm in ca so it'll cost more.
You would probably need to consult with a plastic surgeon initially.

If you have stretch marks in the belly area, it's probably safe to say that you're looking at a TT - if the surgeon only does lipo, then you'll end up with loose, saggy skin.

SoCal has TONS of PS's, so you shouldn't have any problem finding one that you're comfortable with
Old 07-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #14  
sfmarbury

Sorry about my delay in replying - been out of work with a sick little girl. Let's see - I weight 176lb. when I had the surgery (sounds heavy, but actually a really good weight for me). I had it done in 1998 - a little over a year after surgery. Scars are so slight - all in my bikini line and a super little because the lipo made it so there was no stretching pressure on the scar line. Hope that helps!
sfmarbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:07 PM   #15  

I had a tummy tuck almost 2 years ago. I can't imagine being sent home the first day! I was in alot of pain.... I did go home the following afternoon but if it didn't cost additional I really would have stayed another night......
I found the first 3 days terrible and thought that it wouldn't have been more painful than my C-section, but it was.
Would I do it again? Absolutely!!
I was about 145lbs when I got it done, I had lipo in my hips which I wouldn't do again I find it kind of made them look bumpy?? I should have just kept exercising and eating right and get there on my own, by my stomach was beyond excersize to repair.
The scar is low and sure it doesn't look great but it beats the blubber that hung there and in clothes it looks good. I loved wearing jeans with a belt again!!
alaskagirl is offline   Reply With Quote