Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 10:43 AM   #1  
Philippians 4:13

S/C/G: 239/218/139

Height: 5'2.5"

Default ideas for pizza?

Since there are so many great ideas out there I was wondering if anyone had a recipe, idea or something they might use for a non-starchy type pizza crust. I was thinking a long the lines of some sort of veggie or something that is not grain based. I'm not following any specific diet plan. I'm just experimenting with no sugar and no flour right now. Just curious. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:04 AM   #2  
Going all the way!!!

S/C/G: 183/183/130

Height: 5'2"

What about making mini pizzas on whole-grain or veggie (spinach maybe?) tortillas? It would probably crunch up nicely! In fact, I think I'M going to try that one!
Old 07-13-2005, 11:14 AM   #3  

I have one that I've used from time to time. here is a link to it at allrecipes

http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/az/...shPizzCrst.asp
http://vegetarian.allrecipes.com/rev...sp?nprid=18419

It is called Sumemr Squash Pizza Crust. It does use a bit of flour, but I use whole wheat instead of white. I also leave out the cheeses. Make sure you read the reviews as they give you ideas for modifications from real people, not just the recipe submitter. My review is there too, under LindaT of course.

Pita bread also works well too.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:17 PM   #4  
Collie Mommie

You can make mini-pizzas on Portabello caps.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:11 PM   #5  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I use whole wheat pitas as single-serving pizzas. It works well, but I guess that would include some flour, huh?

Good luck and let us know if you find something good!
Old 07-15-2005, 03:11 PM   #6  

Lightbulb

I'm on South Beach, and I just found a recipe for zuccini pizza that is phase-1 okay (no starch!) that I can't wait to try- maybe you'll like it! I found it on the MSN board.

Mock (Zucchini) Pizza - Phase 1

Crusty Part:

3 c grated zucchini (make sure you squeeze out the extra moisture if there is any so it isn't too watery)
1/2 c parmesan or a diff cheese if you like
1 egg or substitute if you like
some garlic powder, salt, pepper or any other spice you like
1 tbsp olive oil

Mix ingredients and spread on a pam sprayed pizza pan and bake for a few mins to make it a bit crispy.

Next add your pizza toppings:

tomato paste..or other tomato type product
onions, peppers, mushrooms, and any other veggies on the allowed list that you like
meat...what every you like from the allowed list
cheese...what ever you like to use

Layer your toppings on your zucchini crust as if you were making a real pizza.

Bake in the oven for 25 mins or until browned.

Enjoy!

And another member's version:

For a crispy zucchini crust, I mix grated zucchini with 2 beaten eggs, mozzarella cheese and spices. Spread on a sprayed pizza pan and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Brush with EVOO after 20 minutes.

Top with whatever you like that's SBD friendly and bake again for about 10 minutes or until any cheese topping is to your liking.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:47 AM   #7  
Trying to ditch the yo-yo

Height: 5'6"

I've made that summer squash pizza crust from Allrecipes and it's pretty good! It has a "doughy" consistancy that reminds me of a thick, chewy, wheat-filled pizza crust. I recommend it!
Old 07-18-2005, 09:39 PM   #8  

I think I might try the squash one tomorrow. I have tons of squash I need to use up. A lovely man at the farmers market gave my little girl a basket that had 6 huge yellow squash in it. This might be the perfect recipe to try! Thanks!!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:51 AM   #9  
Haley

The "pizza" on portobello caps is the best in my opinion! I cut off the stalk and use a spoon to get all those gill things off on the underside, then I put a thin layer of sauce, some cheese and some mushrooms and put it in the toaster oven for a few minutes until the cheese is yummy and bubbly. It's delicious! It's not too entirely filling by itself, so you may want to have two or add some veggies on the side. You could also load it up with meat or veggies or whatever else you may like on pizza.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:58 AM   #10  

I did try the summer squash pizza lastnight, it wasn't half bad. It was a little soggy but that was my fault. I didn't alot of moisture out of the squash like it said to do. I will try it gain.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:31 AM   #11  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Default Good pizza!

My husband came up with the best fake-pizza!

Wholewheat tortilla as the base
Low carb pasta sauce (we were using Carb Options)
diced red onion
can of mushroom pieces
turkey pepperoni
diced low fat ham
shredded reduced fat cheese blend

Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling/brown. They take all of 5 minutes to prepare.

YUM! We make this every now and again, 1 "pizza" usually fills me up. They are so fast to make and cook quick too, plus for me anyway they satisfy my pizza cravings.
Closed Thread