Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-11-2005, 08:05 AM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Smile LWL # 211 -- July 11 to 17

Good morning Ladies Who Lift

Whassup this week?? I'm not sure of the rest of the week but I do know that today it's chest ... How about everyone else...

I had a pretty relaxing weekend but I sure ate wayyy too much so today it's back to the grindstone... All foods lean and clean...

Well I have a dirty fridge waiting to be cleaned yuk!! But it's gotta be done sooo TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:16 AM   #2  

A busy week for me including dentist this morning (yuck) and urologist tomorrow, but having carpets cleaned on Thurs. Does that make it even out?

Did 3.5 miles this morning as my "easy" run. Somehow I never thought those words would come out of my mouth! This Sat is 14 miles. Chest and biceps this afternoon followed by massage (ahhh). My yoga instructor is out of town, so I will try to do it on my own with a CD Tues and Thurs. Hope to start the NASM course, too.

This is a new week - wishing those who have been down a great week and getting out of the holes - I know how hard it is, but concentrate on just "showing up" this week - it really helps. I have determined that discipline is half the battle. Good luck!
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:31 AM   #3  

A busy week for me including dentist this morning (yuck) and urologist tomorrow, but having carpets cleaned on Thurs. Does that make it even out?

Did 3.5 miles this morning as my "easy" run. Somehow I never thought those words would come out of my mouth! This Sat is 14 miles. Chest and biceps this afternoon followed by massage (ahhh). My yoga instructor is out of town, so I will try to do it on my own with a CD Tues and Thurs. Hope to start the NASM course, too.

This is a new week - wishing those who have been down a great week and getting out of the holes - I know how hard it is, but concentrate on just "showing up" this week - it really helps. I have determined that discipline is half the battle. Good luck!
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

I did chest and tris this morning along with 3 sets each of a bi exercise and shoulder press. Don't know why I threw those two in there, but oh well, there ya go. I've been up since 2:00 AM. DD woke me up, then climbed in my bed and passed out. Since I couldn't sleep, I cleaned and mopped the kitchen, cleaned the living and dining rooms, went grocery shopping, came home, put up the food and then went back out to the gym. I'm sure I'll crash and burn by noon. I also started dinner, so I can go home from cheer practice, throw food at the kids and then dive into bed. Wish me luck on avoiding bad foods. I left all my money in the car, I have healthy food here so that's a step in the right direction.

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:43 AM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

I'm officially back on track too. After a 2 hr workout yesterday morning, I decided to drive out to the soccer field where they have an adult pickup game every Sunday. Well, they were short one person having even sides so I got drafted and played for almost 2 hrs (first time I've played in 10 years) in my workout clothes which are really intended for an AC type enviro. Needless to say, every muscle in my body hurts. For those who have never played soccer, it's an incredible workout - although a little hard on the joints because of all the twisting-turning-changing-direction-on-a-dime you have to do. NSV: I had my dark colored skin tight sports bra type thing on underneath my white t shirt and was not at all ashamed to take off the t shirt when I changed from the white shirted to the dark shirted team. NEVER would have done that 2 months ago. AND I got a wolf whistle from the peanut gallery when I did it.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:15 AM   #6  

You go Julia. Us Tennessee chicks are HOT STUFF!!!!

Tiki.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:29 PM   #7  

Ah, the wearing just your sports bra NSV! WTG, Julia. I remember those days - I want them back
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:30 PM   #8  

'Evening girls,

I had an exhausting weekend, work as said on Saturday, and DBF had cleaned out the garden shed for my garden stuff to stack in when I came back, Then finished me off with a game of badminton (which he loves, but as he has ape-arms that cover the whole field without him having to walk he always wins...). needless to say, I could hardly move. Even on Sunday, when I mowed what by now must be my famously unruly lawn, I had heavy legs. What I actually did on Friday was: SQUAT 1x20 at 40 pounds, 1x12at 90 pounds, 2x6-8 at 130, and another 1x10 at 90 pounds. Felt very proud. Feel free to comment...
One of my sisters saw her relationship going on the rocks, after almost 3 years (of which 7 months living together) so that put a kind of damper on the rest of the weekend. He seemed so nice... But then, don't they all in the beginning?

Julia, here in France we don't have the 4th of July, we use the 14th and any kind of other excuse. DBF thus invited people on the 13th AND 14th for a (thank heaven) small BBQ. Both days he is off and I work...
Never mind, it's going to be fun anyway.

Hey Ilene, I did the same thing, what these §*!0# French do is open a bottle of champagne for every little thing, I guess it's both why I both love and hate living here, too many temptations. I eat healthy on the whole but way too much because it's so tasty. How can I break this habit and just eat a BIT?????? bad thing is, when you are not eating junk, you do not feel bad about eating a bit more... Tiki, how do you cope with this, so seem to be so together on this usually.

Lieke
Greekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:00 PM   #9  

Lieke,

80% of the time, i cope by putting everything in Fitday before I eat so I can see how much I am allowed before I mess all my numbers up by getting in too many carbs or proteins or fats. However there is the 20% of the time when my eating ends up off the charts. What has been bringing me back in line is the crappy, bloated, pregnant whale feeling I get from being overly full on either junk or just WAY too much of something. Tracking is the key for me.

Tiki
Old 07-11-2005, 06:39 PM   #10  

Quote:
SQUAT 1x20 at 40 pounds, 1x12at 90 pounds, 2x6-8 at 130, and another 1x10 at 90 pounds. Felt very proud. Feel free to comment...
I don't know about everyone else but I am suitably impressed. Is July 14 Bastille Day?

I had every intention of getting back to the gym tonight but I only thought that every muscle in my body hurt this morning. Throughout the day I have discovered that there are, in fact, more that can hurt. I took a header straight to the nose at some point so even my face is sore.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:38 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Girls

Glad to see everyone is starting the week on the right foot...

Today I got a lot accomplished in the house, cleaned fridge, front of cupboards full of fingerprints, at least 5 loads of wash, cleaned the kitty liter box *yuk*, dyed DD's friends hair I hope her mom doesn't mind, but it's only a darker brown than what she has...

Tonight for the first time in 20 years I got stuck under a bar while doing a bench press... I was pressing 95# did 4 then got stuck half way up I could not for the life of me rack it up on the hooks... A gym full of pinheads and NOT a ONE came to my rescue!!! Although I didn't yell for help either....So I gently let the 95# down to my chest and had to roll it down my chest and stomach, to my legs then sit up .... then I was ok... When I looked up there was a guy sitting there looking at me ... I guess my arms, and the rest of my body for that matter, was tired because all of my weights went down tonight, I'm also not used to working out at 7pm!!

Well take care all I'm off to bath and shower TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:45 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Hi everyone, I thought I'd just jump into this thread and join in. I've already asked a training question and there is a little of my history in it.
I started to train with weights again on Sunday - I first discovered the joys of strength training two years ago, but then stopped doing it consistently. I've never actually given it up, just not done it with any regularity.

I'm using very light weights - I use kilos but in pounds they are approx 4/7/10 - I should put them onto my scales to get accurate poundage!

Its very hot and humid in the UK at the moment (well hot for us - cool for most readers here !!) and we dont have a/c in our houses and so sleeping is difficult and so is working out if you do it at home, as I do.

Tomorrow morning I plan to go to the gym - it has a/c and will feel wonderful!

I'm not working currently, I gave up my job 4 weeks ago (after 17 years- yikes!) I'm going back to college in September. So I'm taking the summer off, to get my house organized, and for some "me" time before I start up learning again.!

Hope everyone has a great week!
Artemis__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:01 AM   #13  

Murphy's Law for vending machines:

I had a whole dollar to myself today and am really craving pop tarts so I went to the machine, eyed the treats and put in my dollar. Then good sense got the best of me so I selected the small pack of pistachios instead. However, the packaging got caught in the little turnstiles and ended up stuck in the machine. If I had selected the bad stuff, they would have come right to me. Go Figure.

Luckily, I also have a container of strawberries in the fridge here at work so I grabbed 4 of those instead.

Tiki.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #14  

Hi all,

went to the gym this morning and did arms (they feel like lead all day)a and did some biking too. Tomorrow is legs day, I am already hurting...

Tiki, I try to do that too, logging onto fitday, but my Laptop at home is sooo slow that I fall asleep before it's loaded the pages, and at work we only have 1 very popular PC from which to go onto internet (the one i'm using now). I might start logging everything on paper and fill it in later or smt.
Besides, I did the shopping for the 2 (!) BBQ's I have tomorrow and the day after, I've tried to keep it healthy, but it's not fair putting me into temptation like that!!!
Our vending machine keeps getting things stuck too, so then we lift it with a few people and shake it up. Makes me feel like a criminal...

Artemis, welcome!

Julia, 14th of July IS Bastille day, although I had to ask a colleague to be sure.

Ilene, not being able to lift what I usually do was my problem too last week, I felt washed out..

Lieke
Old 07-12-2005, 01:09 PM   #15  

Forgot to tell,

I work in a 5-storey building with about 200 people. There is no more loo-paper in the ladies and it is said that there will not be any untill the end of the week!
So I cut some newspaper in strips and hung it on the wall with a note saying:
Toilet paper, serve yourselves - it's free! Wonder what they'll say tomorrow morning...

I'm really......irritated about this

Lieke