Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 08:09 PM   #1  
Empress/Queen

Talking Royals: Seventh Month, Now or Later? Challenge

Ok, s, Amarantha be takin' a bit o' the proverbial animal by the horns here and askin' the Towel Boys to open the Great Hall to a new challenge houseparty. Be there or be square.

Our Firecracker Challenge be history and it is the SEVENTH MONTH O' THE YEAR, HERE 'N methinks the time hath come to assess or reassess our fitness/weight management/health/etc. goals for the rest of what's kind o' the "hump" o' the year ... if we're happy w'im ... then let's PROUDLY reiterate 'em. If not, let's come up w' some new ones, whadda say?

Amarantha would like to challenge everyone to state a SEVENTH MONTH goal with a final reporting date of July 31, but a request for regular updates and a FOCUS on the goal!!! What goal will put ya into the right frame o' mind/body to have a wonderful FALL SEASON? What floats ye're fitness/mind/body boodie boatie?

We've been sadly missin' some s in action these recent weeks 'n the Towel Boys are demoralized by this! Let's get some PARTICIPATION, let's get some sis boom 'n bah, let's talk it over and STATE THOSE GOALS!!!

Ok?

Yay.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:51 AM   #2  

Here we go Friday! Here we go!

Thought of the day :

"Quitters never win and winners never quit"

Question of the day :

"Share your memory of your first purchase from a vending machine."
Old 07-08-2005, 07:52 PM   #3  
deleted2

Am I in the right place? There was some talk of canceling this thread on the last one, so I'm wondering.
This one looks perfectly fine though!

Old 07-08-2005, 09:24 PM   #4  
Empress/Queen

E, I had posted the thread but K had an idea and I thought we should go with that one and I tried to delete this one ... but it won't delete ... thought we would just let it die out as Royals are now postin' on both and all is confusion.

Sorta like my life, but that's another story.

Posted on the other thread (or some thread) about things not going well on my beat and am still in process of deciding what to do ... otherwise I had a decent day

Too braindead to post a coherent thought here ... I will be coming up with a challenge goal by Sunday. I find that no matter how bad things get, I don't feel like giving up on gettin' the bod healthy and strong and reaching my weight goal(s) ...
Old 07-09-2005, 08:27 AM   #5  
Empress/Queen

Well, ok, sorry I confused the court with the on-again, off-again talk, so I'M STAYIN' HERE!!! Posted breadcrumbs in previous thread ...

HERE IS MY SEVENTH MONTH CHALLENGE THEN: I will do some form of exercise every single day and I will declutter every single day. I will report on my success here and in my journal and on the diet software. Huzzah.

Gotta run ... walkin' in park.

Still really upset over work situation and need to get rid of that state of mind.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 187/142/137

Height: 5'8"

Question

Hello Everyone,

I have read all of your posts for some time now, and I love the generous, intelligent, thoughtful, funny conversation.

I introduced myself over on the "body for life" thread that Eydie started a while ago. I have, in the past, been a yo-yo dieter. I did better last year than I ever have, but still when I got on the scale two weeks ago, I see that I have gained back 20 of the 35 pounds I lost.

Riddle me this, royals.

Is it really true that that a person can "eat everything in moderation," if she has a history of immoderation in some things. I have been a vegetarian for 30 years, and I eat all the things that are good for me; all the things that will keep me alive until I am 113 garlic, tomatoes, brocolli, onion, kale, collard greens, black beans, and blah, blah, blah... No trans fats, no high fructose corn syrup, you know the routine.

But I love potato chips and cheese and olive oil, and chocolate, and fried green tomatoes. I know that I cannot wipe them out of my life or make them special occasion foods, but can I realistically ever expect to maintain a weight of normal BMI if I don't? Are we being sold a bill of goods with this moderation thing.

I don't really mean for you to tell me whether or not I can do it, but I would love to hear your personal perspective.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2005, 01:50 PM   #7  
Empress/Queen

Hi, avwoolf!!! Glad you've decloaked and put your feet up on the trestle table in the Great Hall. It is great to have a new on the block, though I hear tell ye've been w' us in spirit for awhile.

Mmmm, my perspective on thy musing ... for one thing, it seemeth to me that all the things you say you love are quite reasonable, sane and healthy choices (with the possible except o' potato chips, but in moderation why not have 'em if ya like 'em).

I know for me, I had to get really, really strict for awhile in the sugar bustin' department, now I also am building permission into my life for a bit o' cake now 'n then and for me this has to be very, very sparingly as it's a slippery slope there as far as ME ... but we are all different.

I also know that having downloaded the Fitday PC software has revolutionized my thinking on what I now need to do to maintain a healthy diet. (I need to lay off the saturated fat for one thing, the software has clarified that for me ... I'm eatin' way too much of it, more than when I was eatin' cupcakes all day).

Personally, I ABSOLUTELY think anyone can realistically expect to maintain a normal weight (although "normal" is a relative thing) and BMI whilst eatin' whatever they wish, if those are foods that work for that individual. It's just a matter of findin' out what works and runnin' with it.

Different foods satisfy different people, to cut out all foods that make us feel good seems like a bad idea to me (although I DID have to cut out the cupcakes, dulce de leche, Carmello bars, Slimfast in cans and other junk I was livin' on before February ... and going back would be lunacy).

Re chocolate ... Westsoy's UNSWEETENED chocolate soymilk is to die for, BTW. Now they have unsweetened vanilla and almond flavors ... no added sugar (just the sugar in the soybeans), no added sweeteners of any kind ... a little bit of an acquired taste but very chocolate. This is heaven to me!
Old 07-09-2005, 06:07 PM   #8  
deleted2

Excellent questions, avwoolf---wish I had some excellent answers. It really is such an individual thing and if you can find the joy in finding your way thru the maze so much the better.

Here's my story: there were some foods that I absolutely couldn't be moderate with, and I had to seriously look at my "addiction" to them and say 'no more'. I my case, I was/am addicted to sugar. When I started I couldn't stop--it would actually be painful for me to just have one cookie. Now that I've stopped eating those things that give me that weird combination of pleasure and pain, I can't tell you how freeing it's been. I can go anywhere, look at the rack of chocolates or the pastry cart, and say 'not for me' and it's okay.
I still eat sweets but they have to be made with my 'approved' sweeteners; maple syrup, rice syrup, barley malt, agave, stevia, fruit concentrate, and very occasionally honey. And when I make any baked goods, I use whole grain flours. This way instead of having eater's remorse afterwards, I feel like I'm really listening to my body and taking care of myself.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:24 PM   #9  
wsw

hi avwoolf. welcome!

amarantha-sorry to hear thy work situation is so distressing now!

so--- for this challenge, i will shoot for around 1200-1500 c/day; continue with daily exercise, including back and tai chi; keep up with de-cluttering; and listen to meditation tapes.

today, 1250 c; exercised; and will listen to meditation tape before bed. hi arabella!, and to all the regal ones, have a good evening.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:32 PM   #10  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Thumbs up

Hey...I'm wending my intoxicated way over here...Arabella I can't handling posting on more than one thread at a time so I'm landing here!

Am doing well. My post surgery follow up was good...although he poked and prodded too much and now I'm swollen again...twit...and he said I could do anything.?!?!?...when I mentioned that I lift 80 lb dogs on the table, groom them and show them...that was OK...typical man...needless to say I questioned my friend the nurse-receptionist in his office....she gave me some exercises to do...since I DO have a pool and encouraged me to start walking again...which I plan to do shortly.

I went grocery shopping today unaccompanied and managed to steer that cart around the store...they are cumbersome... and heavy....

Also have discovered the wonder of frozen wine over frozen berries....kinda Sangria like....so my typing is erratic....helps numb the "Pooch"....a reminant of the surgery...it had better go down....although losing 20 lbs would likely help...sigh...

Anyway...just wanted to check in since it has been a while...I've been lurking though.....

to all.....and Lotsa (((((HUGS))))) for Anagram, You are in my thoughts constantly.

Ceara

Hmmm...need to modify my siggy...you too Empress A...there seems to be a font size default going on.........
Old 07-09-2005, 07:56 PM   #11  
Empress/Queen

SWORD BEARER, thou art here!!!! Thanks be thou art recoverin' and have found the palace again through the confusion o' the paths being a bit crossed through the royal forest highway!!!

The font size in my sig is deliberate, though. At least if you are seeing it smaller than the rest of message ... the weight tracker is weird though, if you you click on it, it only shows a page with an elephant and tells ya to go home ... been that way for awhile.

Wsw, thanks for the kind words ... it helps to receive supportive comments from my compadres here at the palace. I had a good day, though, and it sounds like you did also. Congrats on keepin' up with everything.

Would also like to add hugs to Anagramatic and sending the most healin' vibes possible in thy direction ... thou art in our thoughts always, thou knowest!!!

s, I just saw the most inventive challenge in the land far far away ... I'd thought of something like this but hadn't formulated it ... one of the posters there has vowed NOT TO READ THE NEW HP UNTIL SHE REACHES A CERTAIN GOAL WEIGHT, which is one step on her journey.

I think this is clever, but have not the moral fibre to emulate it.

Sigh.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Some people are so dedicated. Then there's me!
Old 07-09-2005, 09:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 187/142/137

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the welcome wsw.

Thank you all for being so hospitable. I know that you all have been together--so to speak--for a long time, and I am grateful for your willingness to share your collective royal highness with me. (If I knew how to include one of those smiley faces, I would do it here).

Also, thanks for the responses to my query. I know sugar is a big issue for alot of people, but I am not really a sweet gal. I mean, I am sweet, but... Anyway, I don't really have a problem with sugar, and I don't eat things with refined sugar or white flour. Now, I love chocolate, but I can keep a bag of 70% cocoa dark chocolate in the freezer, and only eat one or two 1/2 inch square pieces per week.

The problem for me is salt and fat, but I think I may be doing what both Amarantha and Eydie suggest, recognition and control. I try to eat the good-for-me fats. In the chippy, crunchy, salty, fried area (which, believe me, is my area. In fact, I have eminent domain. I own the land as far as the eye can see), I like plain chips and crackers, but only if they are free of preservatives and trans fat, and I make my own homemade french fries with canola oil.

So how does this--this weight--keep happening to me? Portion control issues?? I will save that for another day.

Thanks, and best to you all
Old 07-09-2005, 10:02 PM   #13  
Empress/Queen

Talking

avwoolf, I'd say our collective royal highnesses are very lucky to have ya! Thanks for bein' here!!!

Anyone who can only eat a little piece of 70 percent cocoa chocolate per week earns my undying respect!

P.S. Just go to the advanced posting mode and there's a clickable menu for the smilies. Eventually you'll learn the codes for 'em and can just type 'em in, which is faster.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 07-09-2005 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Re smilies
Old 07-10-2005, 09:26 AM   #14  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Wink

Yes I be back...and forth. You'd be a great greeter A, but likely bored too soon.

Welcome to Avwoolf! The sugar struggle is one we all face...but I also like the fat and salt....and it helps when the masters can give us words of encouragement and strategies to deal with ourselves! These ladies are my heroes!

Wsw! Glad to hear you're doing better these days.

Empress A...the size is gynormous. I just took mine off for the nonne. Also if you're not logged in the trackers and siggies don't appear at all....they used to...I guess maybe they are refining the site again?

Anyway...gotta go...stuff to do and a journey to make...

Ceara
Old 07-10-2005, 11:06 AM   #15  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Smile Good morning, good morning!

So nice to see the royal joint jumpin'! I'm having such a nice relaxing weekend -- had a momentary impulse to get some work done yesterday but just waited quietly until it went away! I've mostly stuck to my decision not to work overtime unless there's some extreme need for it. Last week I made it back to tai chi class!

We're planning (well, mostly I'm planning ) my 50th bday party next Saturday. I'm so psyched! There seems to be a consensus among my friends and relatives turning 50 this year that 50 is the POWER year for women. I'm making my peace with getting older.

Felt so unblocked yesterday, so happy (oh -- i still feel good and positive today, but you know what it's like when the sun bursts through!). I thought "I don't have to wait to be slender to be happy, everything in my life does not have to be perfect for me to be happy." I've started putting more emphasis on looking after myself and tending to my needs and I think it's really paying off.

Re: The seventh month challenge, I'm attaching my checklist -- I haven't been actually checking it off, but am starting today (esp. since I already did so many things on it! ) It's a bit on the demanding side, but I'm not expecting perfection. The main thing is that I WILL pay attention and try to do these things and I know my life will be SO much better for it

A big welcome to our newest avwoolf! Thank you for joining us. You're right -- we're FABULOUS, if we do say so ourselves!

As for your diet-related musings -- the most successful weight loss plan I was ever on was, essentially, eating exactly what I wanted at any given time, but only eating if I was hungry and aiming for mostly healthy stuff. I found, although I had permission to eat absolutely anything, that when I'm actually hungry and can eat what I want that I almost invariably want healthy food. The other component of that was to try not to obsess about weight or food, but to try to ensure that my needs were met. I'm trying to get back to that way of life again.

Amarantha, MY DEAR!!! Some people ARE so dedicated -- and count thy royal self foremost among them. Your success in this journey towards health has been positively ASTOUNDING!!! You're a constant inspiration, you are. Psst: tell the universe you need a more worthy job and then keep your eyes and ears open...

Eydie! Congratulations to you and your royal consort! I admire your marriage very much. You two always seem to have such a good partnership and to be so in synch! I'm working on my relationship with my husband, trying to be strong enough in myself that I can appreciate the good parts of it and not let the less positive things overwhelm me.

Anagram -- speaking of royal marriages -- Darling, love to you and yours, peace and strength, always. I hold you in my thoughts

Ceara, thanks so much for that decisive move! Me too -- I do well to post on one thread, mayhap t'other will drift down to the bottom of the threads... Glad you're recovering nicely! Yep, maybe losing 20 pounds would help, but it's always so much easier when one feels healthy and intact, n'est-ce pas?

wsw, so nice to see you! And continuing with the tai chi and meditation, too. Sounds like a lovely visit with the toddler. I love babies, but I positively ADORE toddlers, when they can start letting you know what they think and who they are. Must line up a visit with my own favorite 3-year old!

Ok, all you best and brightest of women -- I must go sit on the deck and drink coffee and read newspapers. I'm resisting starting to say hi to each of you by name for the wholly warranted fear that I'd forget someone. So -- you know who you are, and you know I love you! Let's get out there and spread our royal vibes throughout the universe!

Closed Thread