Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 06:59 PM   #1  

Question new potatoes

I have a friend that is on the gi diet, glycemic diet, and she told me that new potatoes do not have any carbs in them and they are ok to eat on her diet. Her diet almost seems the same as the south beach diet just rewritten by some one else. Does anyone have any experience with this question? I told her that I did not believe that to be true but she insists.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:07 PM   #2  

They still have carbs, just fewer carbs than russet potatoes. From the PC version of Fitday:

8 oz red/new potatoes: 163 calores, 36g carbs, 4 g fiber
8 oz russet potatoes: 220 calories, 49g carbs, 5 g fiber
Old 12-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXCINDY
I have a friend that is on the gi diet, glycemic diet, and she told me that new potatoes do not have any carbs in them and they are ok to eat on her diet. Her diet almost seems the same as the south beach diet just rewritten by some one else. Does anyone have any experience with this question? I told her that I did not believe that to be true but she insists.
Did she tell you that 2-3 new potatoes is a serving, very small portion and a once in a while thing. It is very much the same diet , but we don't do the phase 1 like SBD.
Chari
Old 12-12-2005, 10:15 AM   #4  
Who needs sleep?

People get funny ideas in their heads about nutrition sometimes that they just cannot be convinced out of. I have an aunt who swears up and down until she is blue in the face that you cannot get vitamin A anywhere but meat (although I did get her to concede that spinach *might* have *some* vitamin A in it). It doesn't matter how much proof you give her - she won't believe it anyway.

All fruits and vegetables have at least some carbohydrates in them - the important things are what kind and how much. As potatoes and other root vegetables (as well as some other veggies like corn or peas) mature, certain nutrients in them convert into starches for long-term energy storage. So the more mature these vegetables are, the more starch is in them. That is why new baby potatoes (not just little potatoes) have a lower GI than mature russets.
Closed Thread