Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-28-2005, 09:47 PM   #1  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

Question Arc trainer question....

I don't see this machine in very many people's work out logs, and I'm not sure if there is an equivalent machine... BUT... I use the Arc trainer by Cybex (i think) and I love it because it really pushes me.

However, the way my feet go into the pedals makes my toes hurt. I did it for over an hour today and my big toes were burning when I got off.

Anyone have any ideas about what I'm doing wrong or any shoe suggestions??
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:40 PM   #2  
One day at a time...

Well, I love the Arc Trainer too! I don't go on any machine more than 40 minutes, my trainer says its good to switch things up..so I'd try switching it up...lol the people at my gym would shoot me if I ever stayed on a machine for an hour. The other day I went on it for about a half hour and burned 377 calories..that machine rocks!
April_Showers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:16 AM   #3  
ZenLizzie

It is great!!
I usually try to do about 35 minutes on it, but today was my double cardio day. And, just so I don't sound like a machine-hog.. I work out at my university's gym and so we have lots of machines (even arc trainers) and there is nobody there when I'm working out.

But I think you`re right, switching it up is probably key!!
Old 06-29-2005, 07:58 AM   #4  
One day at a time...

LOL- we have health nuts up here in DC...we only have 8 of them at my gym and everyone wants it. Its always good to double up the cardio! Good luck to you.
April_Showers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:13 AM   #5  

Wow! 8 arc trainers? My gym is small - we have 2! I had to give it up and use the stairmaster most of the time because they are always in use. I really found that my feet got used to the arc trainer movement. After a week or two I just stopped hurting. Maybe your shoes don't fit right? Just FYI - when I got my heart rate monitor I discovered that the arc trainer was over estimating the calories burned. If it said I burned 50, it was more like 35/40. The heart rate monitor attached to the machine was all over the place and not very consistent for me. It still burns a lot of calories and is a great workout - just not as great as they would like you to think.
sherpamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:50 PM   #6  
ZenLizzie

I figured when it said I burned 1000calories that it was overrestimating! I try not to use what the machines as far as calories burned too often because so many of them are so far off. It just seems like there are a lot of factors in calorie burning and it is so beneficial to the manufacturer to make people believe they are burning a ton. I still feel like I get a good work out on it because it took me so long to like it! When I first started I could barely do 15minutes, even when I could do 45minutes on the elliptical.

I'm surprised that more gyms don't have it. Or maybe all the gyms I'd been to before were just behind on technology.