View Poll Results: Do you suck it in?
Nope 11 28.21%
Yes, but on purpose 19 48.72%
Yes, subconciously 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2005, 11:45 PM   #1  

Default Sucking it in?

I just wonder how many people suck their guts in anytime they go someplace. I do it all the time and the scary thing is I don't think about it at all. I just sub-conciously do it every time I stand up and don't even have to think about it, I guess because I've been doing it for so long. So I just wonder who else has experienced this phenomena?
Rtael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:21 AM   #2  

I've ticked the yes on purpose, but only because I do it as part of my abs excercises. Pulling your tummy in and holding it is good exercise, true!!!! I never suck it in out of shame or anything. Now my boobs stick further out than my tummy there is no need!!!!! LOL!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 04:38 AM   #3  
Determined to Lose!!!

I've never sucked my stomach in. It's too much hardwork. I have friends that do it all the time and I just don't get it. I have more important things to concentrate on.
There have been times where I wished I could be bothered with it... say to wear a certain outfit that looks better with my belly sucked in
BIGGIRL27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 09:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

I won't vote but I don't... BUT I'm Pregnant AND I CAN'T

Seriously though, when not pregnant, I didn't unless I was being in a picture or something!
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:27 AM   #5  
Losing 1/2 of Myself

S/C/G: 324/195/170

Height: 5'9"

I do it ALL the time, it's second nature to me after all these years! Hold in the tummy and squeeze the butt in... just makes me feel like I look better.
treefrogtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 03:31 PM   #6  
2006 - Panda Remix

I try to do it when I remember - it's good for your stomach muscles as Kykaree says. I am just at the stage of being able to feel my stomach muscles again which is a novelty!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 299/ticker/150

Height: 5' 2"

I can for a moment, but I'm still all stretched out from my pregnancy last year. I need to; it would help strenghten my abs and back muscles, but it is SOOOO HARD!!!! But when I do, boy my belly does go in, which tells me my muscles are really stretched out.
Lynne
tchrnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:34 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I do it all the time, but subconsciously. I never did it on purpose--it's really more of a posture thing than an appearance thing. When I stand up straight, I automatically pull my stomach towards my back...keeps me standing tall (which is also a way to look thinner, but I always just did it cuz my mom yelled at me to stand up straight all the time! ). I could suck it in even more, but like I said, I don't do it on purpose, so I don't pay attention to how much I'm sucking in--does that all make any sense?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:56 AM   #9  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I do it on purpose, whenever I think about it. Like Jill, my mam used to encourage me not to slouch, but my posture went all to pot after I left home and started piling on the weight. I think I hunched a little in the hope that it would hide my increasing size (like that works!), and it became a habit that is quite difficult to break. I can't keep sucking in for long periods because my stomach muscles are shot, but I keep practising in the hope that one day they'll return. Standing tall just feels--and looks--so much better.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I too tend to do it subconsciously. I wonder why my belly hurts at the end of the day until I remember I've been sucking in.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 07:51 PM   #11  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

It's second-nature to me, too - I was admonished to stand up straight and take smaller steps. Shoot, mom, I have long legs!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:17 PM   #12  
Wife to 1 Mother of 4

Yes I suck my belly in it just looks better. I have no boobs so if I'm not careful I could look like a popsicle
Reaferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:18 PM   #13  
Live for the Moment!

I do it too, and I totally do it subconciously... and don't even notice, except occasionally when I fully relax and notice it looks much bigger
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:22 PM   #14  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Whenever I stand, I do it just as a matter of course. After 9 years of ballet and so much posture awareness, it's just part of standing up straight for me! The only time I think I just let it all hang out is when my tummy is bothering me.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:21 AM   #15  
Laura

I used to be a sucker-inner, back in the old days. But now, after two babies and two c-sections - I'm constantly hauling two little kiddos around, it just all hangs out - I'm not sure I could suck it in if I tried!

I'm not good about standing up straight either - I'm tall (5'9") and I've always been a bit self-conscious, I never wanted to make myself look <gasp> TALLER!
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote