Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-25-2005, 02:04 PM   #1  
2006 - Panda Remix

Default How Many Calories???

Hello folks!

I'd be grateful for any advice or suggestions about this........

I've been a member of my local gym for a month now - I'm doing intensive cardio for 45 mins 4 - 5 days a week, and strength training about 2 - 3 days a week (I'm building it up gradually). Two of my cardio sessions are intermediate 'spinning' classes - they are really high fat burning classes and I have never worked so hard in my life (but I love it!).

My problem is that I would assume that the weight would be flying off, but in this last month I've only lost 2lb. I am certainly gaining muscle and everything is toning up nicely - but I would still expect more weight loss. I weigh 243 at the moment, having lost 24 lb since January. I was wondering how many calories I should be eating - I'm currently on 1600, is that enough considering all the exercise I am doing? My gym calcualtes the calories I am burning according to my weight, and although I know it's never an exact science - after my spinning class it says I've burnt over 1000 cals!

I don't know what to do - should I just wait and see, or should I try increasing or decreasing my cals?

Please help me!

Thanks

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 03:50 PM   #2  
Mel

I don't think 1600 is too low, but I'd try varying your intake from day to day so that 1600 is your daily average over the week. Try 1400 for 2 days, then 1600, then 1800, then repeat. Do you know what your protein/carb/fat ratios are? you might want to play around with those too and see if it makes a difference. What kind of food are you eating and how often? That also makes a difference

Calculating the calories burned is a very inexact science unless you are wearing a personal monitor. Many machines and classes inflate their "burn" claims so that they will be more popular. Some people burn calories slower than other do. Lots of variables!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:17 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

Amanda, is this the first month you've ever lifted weights? Your muscles could be retaining water. It's all necessary and natural, so hang in there another month and see what happens then. When I was on BFL, Week 8 was the magic number for a lot of women that had difficulties with weight loss at the start.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 06:22 PM   #4  
Meg

Amanda - one other thought - I've found that many people frequently underestimate how much they're eating. Clients tell me that they're not losing weight, despite only eating X calories per day. But then I find out they aren't weighing or measuring portions or writing it all down, so it's really just a guess. When I ask them to do the weighing, measuring, and journaling, they are ALWAYS shocked at how much more they're eating than they assumed. Sometimes it's three times as many calories as they thought they were eating.

So if you happen to be a guess-timator when it comes to calories or portions, it might be worthwhile to take a little time and check them for a week or so. To this day, I still weigh and measure and journal because I'd be eating way too much otherwise (I know myself )

Of course, if you're as as I am and already track everything you eat, please disregard the above.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 03:42 PM   #5  
2006 - Panda Remix

Thanks for the advice ladies!

Jennifer - Yes it is the first time I have lifted weights - the last time was about 2 years ago, so maybe there is some water retention. I am also on meds that cause water retention which doesn't help!

Mel - I like your idea of switching my cals around over the week - I keep reading that that is great for weight loss as it means your metabolism doesn't get stuck. I think 'll try that as I do have a sluggish metabolism at the best of times! I don't measure my cal/fat/carb ratio - far too complicated! I am very careful about fat, but can go overboard with my carbs. I only eat wholegrain bread and pasta, BUT my portions tend to be on the large side!

Meg - Yes, I do write everything down and weigh - I tried stopping for a bit but my eating definately crept up and I gained 3lb in the 3 weeks I didn't journal!

Thanks

Love Amanda x

Last edited by Amanda Panda; 06-26-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:21 PM   #6  

hi amanda panda! i'm brand new here and am just browsing aaaalll these wonderful forums (wow!) but have you tried Fitday.com to log in your food intake? it keeps track of your carbs, proteins and fat - you dont have to! its simply wonderful and free!
Karen Getting Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:57 PM   #7  
Meg

Two thumbs up for Fitday here - couldn't live without it.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:59 PM   #8  

Default Love Fitday

Hello!!

Just joined and wanted to jump in and say I love fitday.com!!

Now how do I get a ticker at the bottom??
Missy--Mom of Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy--Mom of Muscle
Hello!!

Just joined and wanted to jump in and say I love fitday.com!!

Now how do I get a ticker at the bottom??
Go to top of page ''Use CP''

Go to edit signature follow instructions
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:40 PM   #10  

Panda,

Congratulations on your weight loss! I imagine you have probably lost more fat than 24 pounds, and gained some muscle at the same time. You are doing great.

1000 calories burned seems like a lot to me. Here is a website that estimates calories burned, and maybe you could use it as a second opinion. http://www.fatburn.com/free_tool_activity_burn.asp Exercise does so much more than burn calories though. It makes us feel fit both mentally and physically. I know I feel like crap when I let excuses keep me away from the gym for a while, like I did recently.

Keep up the good work!
Hey Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:44 PM   #11  
2006 - Panda Remix

Hey Jude (as the song goes!)

I've just checked that calculator and it's come out as pretty much the same!(50 mins = 1203 cals) It is a really vigorous class and I weigh 242lb so I probably use twice the calories of a normal sized person!

Karen/Meg - I've tried Fitday but never really got to grips with it. It is an American site and does not list any of the UK products I use. I know it would be worth my while to spend the time programming everything in by hand, but unfortunately my partner hogs the computer 24/7 so I've never really had the opportunity!

I think something has finally shifted and I'm back in 'weight loss' mode - I've shed another 2lb this week, so hopefully things will start moving from now on!

Love Amanda x
Old 07-13-2005, 11:08 PM   #12  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Jude
1000 calories burned seems like a lot to me. Here is a website that estimates calories burned, and maybe you could use it as a second opinion. http://www.fatburn.com/free_tool_activity_burn.asp
I've seen several post saying that the readings on the machines are not accurate, but surprisingly this website tells me pretty much the same numbers that the machines do.

What gets on my nerves are the discrepancies between different sites - I enter my activities into FitDay and President's Challenge and obviously the activity and the time/distance/speed are exactly the same - but I get two different numbers from the two sites. The numbers are close, so it doesn't matter really, it's just annoying.
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:45 PM   #13  
cashmgrccm

S/C/G: 243/243/165

Height: 5'4"

I do wear a heart monitor and I burn anywhere from 800 to 1100 calories in an hour just spinning alone!
cashmgrccm is offline   Reply With Quote