Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #1  

Default When to do cardio?

Well i am currently trying to maintain my weight but actually trying to build muscle and get lean. i am doing some type of pilates 3 times a week for 20 minutes, and doing some exercises like 30 squats, 30 lunges, modified pushups, bicep and shoulder, and tricep things, and an ab workout and some leg things. i was wondering if that was okay and what other thigns i could do, and also how many calories i should eat and how much cardio to do and when to do it..i really wanna do cardio like biking because i love it.

i am 16, 5'2 100 lbs.
hebert99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:07 PM   #2  

I'm not an expert, but based on the reading I've done this is what I've learned:

Typically it is recommended to do resistance/strength training to actively build muscle. Do the exercises you're doing include weights? Since you're 16, I don't know what is recommended for someone who is still growing.

It also takes protein to build muscle. You might need to increase your protein intake -- perhaps consider some of the protein powders. But you still need to watch your calorie intake vs. calories burned because protein that isn't metabolized will be stored as fat.

Also, you mentioned that you want to maintain your weight. As you add muscle, your scale weight will likely go up. At 100 pounds you probably have a fairly low fat%, so you won't be replacing fat with muscle, but improving the definition of the muscles you have.

Oh, one more thing... cardio isn't the best method of building muscles (except for your heart). It is great for overall health and calorie burning.

Good luck with your efforts.
byugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:21 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

At 16 you should concentrate maybe on just biking and hiking just for the fun of it along with your friends and have some field trips with back packs full of healthy foods and have a picnic along the way...

The pilates sounds really good and remember to change up this workout ''30 squats, 30 lunges, modified pushups, bicep and shoulder, and tricep things, and an ab workout and some leg things'' because soon it will get boring and stagnant... This workout will not give you the muscles you seem to want. Doing some training with weights will though, but at your age, you can't go too heavy it's not good for your bones because they are still growing......
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:22 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Oh silly me, as for your question '' When to do cardio ?? '' anytime you darn well feel like it ... Just have fun with it....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote