Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-21-2005, 10:40 PM   #1  
YaYa name: Big Butt'd One

Question WATP vs. Firm

Hello all!!! I'm new to this so bare with me... I have a question to ask, has anyone out there used the WATP work out tapes? Have you rec'd any positive results? how about the Firm? I have just started with the WATP about 2 weeks and I love them. I used to do the Firm, but I bulked too fast and didn't drop the weight I needed to...Not wanting to bulk, just wanting to loose the weight, then tone... any suggestions?
sweettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:49 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I love WATP moreso than the Firm. Mainly because I'm so danged uncoordinated that my feet get tangled when I try to follow the fast-paced, not geared toward teaching you the actual moves but expecting you to just jump right in and figure them out at lightspeed, moves of the Firm. WATP doesn't have a learning curve. And I never trip once doing it.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:57 PM   #3  

Thanks a bunch! I am now doing the 3 mile... it's a little bit more intense than the 2 mile. Which of the tapes have you done?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:09 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Here is a link to a video thread on 3FC....
Hope this helps...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...ysprune=&f=178
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:53 PM   #5  
Trying to ditch the yo-yo

Height: 5'6"

I have the 2 mile and 3 mile tapes. Do you use weights with them? I have 2 and 3 pound handweights that I use through the entire workout when I want to burn more calories. You have to modify some of the weight-free moves Leslie is doing, but it's not that difficult. If you don't want to bulk up try using some 1 pound weights during the weight-free portions of the workout, that way you're burning more calories without bulking up.
Xuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:55 AM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

I have the 1, 2 & 3 mile for abs with the walk-away belt, the walk & kick and walk & jog, and the 4 mile super challenge. The 4 mile and walk & jog are the ones I like the best. I will usually either do the 4 mile, or will do the walk & jog and part of the Firm.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:45 AM   #7  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

I'm with almostheaven on the WATP vs. The Firm. I don't want to have to worry about whether I'm doing with my feet what they're doing with their feet! I'd rather concentrate on making sure I'm giving it my all! And my favorite was the 4-mile -- although I'm looking forward to getting the Walk and Jog once I'm feeling up to par!

And don't worry about using 3# hand weights on the WATP workouts -- you are most definitely not going to "bulk up." If you want to be firm to the touch as opposed to squishy, then use the weights. You're not going to build muscle mass, don't worry.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:19 PM   #8  

Default Thanks a bunch!!!

You have all been so helpful! THANK YOU... I just finished the Super Cardio-Sculpt from the Firm and I am completely exhausted! I really like the WATP workout better than the Firm...I guess it's all the moves (as may of you have alreay stated). I pay more attention to getting the moves right than to the actual exercise...OK I am going to stick with WATP and get some of her 4 mile tapes. Thank you so much!!!
I feel like I have met a whole new set of BUDDIES. (I hope this will continue)
Old 06-22-2005, 12:45 PM   #9  

I am a BIG time Leslie fan! I own almost every workout tape Leslie has made. This is the only exercise that I actually stick with and like to do. I also have a hard time with bulking up. I just mentioned this on another board how I feel like I'm getting big in the arms and shoulders since I started using heavier weights in a workout I just started doing so I guess I'll just stick with Leslie workouts and the weighted balls for toning or the stretchie or ab belt. I can not do any of the Firm workouts. My thighs get really big with any step workouts for some reason. I tend to build muscle easily. Plus I'm not very coordinated so I can't follow along and end up not doing a very good workout. I'll just stand there and stare at the TV not knowing what move to do. I need simple steps. Very simple ! One of Leslie's older walks the Two Mile walk is a good one. It moves pretty fast and some of the moves you don't see in her newer walks. I absolutely love the original WATP with the weighted balls workout! And the 4 mile Super Challenge Express is great! I need to get his one on DVD. My VHS is almost worn out I do this one so much !

Last edited by ras8779; 06-22-2005 at 12:48 PM.
ras8779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:45 PM   #10  

Default Thanks for your input

I have to get the 4 mile....so many people have told me about this one. I just recenlty started the 3 mile, so I need to get a few weeks of that under my belt before I advance on to bigger and better things.
Thanks bunches!!!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 10:32 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

What I think needs to be clarified is that the WATP videos are mainly cardio (her walking ones) and The Firm are mostly strength training. If you were doing The Firm as your sole exercise, then you were gaining muscle tone (from strength training) but not losing enough body fat, which cardio helps to do. Cardio and strength training are EQUALLY important, but for the best results you should do both-your best body would come from alternating cardio and strength training, so that you gain lean muscle, and also lose weight/lose body fat from the cardio.

If you find that The Firm videos are too complex, Leslie Sansone (WATP) has strength training videos such as:
~Firm Up Fast Walk
~Walk The Walk Firm (this one is Christian inspired)
~Shortcuts (a 30 minute video each for upper body, abs and lower back, and lower body)

It isn't that The Firm videos were not working for you-they absolutely were-but you have to lose body fat by doing cardio along with your strength training.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 04:59 PM   #12  

Default Thanks Aphil

Thank you. I am going to stick with the WATP until I get some of this unwanted weight off and use small weights to aid in the toning....I know there is a "skinny person" in there somewhere... Looks like your doing a good job of loosing...Keep up the good work and keep inspiring!
Old 06-23-2005, 05:52 PM   #13  

sweettweet,

I'm in the same boat you're in. I need to lose weight before I build muscle but I still like to tone up while I'm losing weight. Another good toning video by Leslie is her 10 minute tone up. Believe it or not this one really does help tone me up and it only takes 10 minutes. Perfect for an add-on after a walk. I also think using the weighted balls helps my arms tone up and doesn't bulk them up so to speak. I really think you'll like the workouts!
ras8779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:23 PM   #14  
Blonde Bimbo

Plus, toning can give the appearance of smaller because it will help the figure to develop and distribute the weight evenly.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:28 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Ladies,

You really want to do strength training/toning exercises WHILE you are losing weight. Kill two birds with one stone here, don't wait until you have lost weight to do this!!!

What I was stating is that doing strength training alone when you have a lot of weight to lose (while wonderful) isn't the best way to go. I was in no way saying to nix the strength training and do cardio alone. For the best results you want to do both.

The benefits of cardio is that it really burns a lot of calories during the workout, and burn fat, so it wil help you lose weight.
On the other hand, strength training builds muscle, and throughout the day when you are doing everyday things such as sleeping, sitting, going to work, and everything else, muscle burns more calories (just being muscle) than fat does. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns through the day. Also, cardio can help you slim down weight wise, but it is strength training that really shapes your body, and can give you the firm abs, nice arms and shoulders, and shapely legs.
What I am suggesting here, is that for best results, do both. Alternate them-do strength training one day, do cardio the next-work a system out for yourself.
If you do all cardio and lose the weight that you want to, you may find all of a sudden that your body doesn't look the way you want it to. The key is to do the strength training now while you are still losing, so that when you lose the body fat, you already have the nicely shaped muscles underneath.
If you do both kinds of exercise, you will get much better results from your hard work.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote