South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 08:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 216/203.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Talking Already a success!!!

Hello everyone,

I am new to the boards and new to the SBD. SBD was recommended to me by my doctor after going in for my annual cholestrol check showed my total cholestrol dropped from 223pts to 201pts in the last year. I think most of my success was due to regular exercise (which is now much easier for me) and eating less fatty, bad carb-rich foods (still a hurdle). My doctor wants me to continue working on my cholestrol and my weight and told me to give SBD a try. I told her of my lack of success on Atkins (I actually broke out in hives) but she assured me that after Phase One, I could reintroduce good carbs back into my diet. That I could live with.

So I'm beginning my 2 week Phase One on 6/27/05 along with doing the Ultimate New York Body Plan (by David Kirsch) which is an intensive 2 week body bootcamp style program. I just came off a week of lackluster workouts and chaotic eating so I'd thought of combining the SBD and UNYBP to give me a boost.

Compare last year when I wore a size 18/20 clothes and my cholestrol was getting way out of control, I do feel like I'm already a success. I haven't lost much weight this past year but I've lost a dress size and I'm getting my health back which is much more important to me than a number on a scale.

Laters,

DJ
Old 06-21-2005, 09:29 PM   #2  
Started SBD 1/26/04

Welcome to the Beach DJ. Make sure you check out the receipes here there are some really good ones to help you get through P1.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:43 AM   #3  

Welcome Nubiennelady! Sounds like you're on the right track!!!
Good Luck2 U
Old 06-23-2005, 08:46 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

DJ, welcome to the Beach! I'm sure you'll have great success here... sounds as though you're already on your way!
Old 06-23-2005, 09:41 AM   #5  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Welcome!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 11:05 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Nubienne, welcome, and congrats on the changes in your life and your cholesterol drop. That's great work!

Hon, may I suggest that you might want to do the boot camp during your first two weeks of Phase 2? In Phase 1, especially during your detox, you can feel really poorly...almost like you have the flu. It's difficult to exercise in those conditions, even for someone who did it regularly before SBD. By the second week of P1, you are feeling better, but it would still be hard to do a boot camp program with such a low amout of carbs. I think you might find more success if you start the boot camp with P2 or after. Just my $0.02!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:38 PM   #7  
Unzipping my new self!

Height: 5' 5"

Hi DJ and welcome to the beach! I agree ~ the recipe section was super duper helpful for me during phase 1. :good luck:
Old 06-25-2005, 04:39 PM   #8  

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

Laurie, big thanks for the suggestion. I have modified the UNYBP program by reducing the intensity and amount of cardio but if I don't feel well after doing 2-3 days while starting SBD, I will wait until Phase 2 like you suggest.

Donna
Old 06-25-2005, 06:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi there!
I'm also concerned about the tough workout during P1. I regularly lift fairly light weights - 3, 5 ,8 pounds, but during P1 I cant do that workout.I'm just so fatigued that any strength training is a no-no

I see you are ready to modify the workout if necessary - and wholeheartedly agree. Dont give up either SBD or the workout if you find P1 TOUGH - just go easy on yourself for the first two weeks.

Let us know how you progress!
Old 06-27-2005, 05:58 PM   #10  
i luv my dog!

Yes, Nubiennelady, you have gotten some good starter points here. Please let us know how you are progressing. We have a "daily chat" where you can always jump in and give us an update. Everyone gets great inspiration from hearing the stories of others. Please be sure to come back and post again.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:50 PM   #11  

WElcome
Old 06-29-2005, 12:18 PM   #12  

Hi all,

So far, so good. I'm actually feeling great even with the intense workouts. I did have a couple of days of constipation but I made some adjustments (more vegetables, 1/2 cup beans to my salads and some Metamucil for good measure) and my system is back to normal.

I haven't had any outrageous carb cravings which is great and I'm enjoying the meals from the cookbook (made the Big Easy Shrimp last night and my BF asked for seconds). Now I wish I could become more creative with breakfast b/c egg substitute (I have elevated cholestrol so I don't eat regular egg yolks) is going to get old very quickly.

Thanks for checking in on me....

Donna
Old 06-29-2005, 12:28 PM   #13  

I forgot to formally introduce myself. My name is Donna and I am a 32 y/o woman temporarily living in Ohio while I finish writing my dissertation for my Ph.D. in education. I also have a full time job as a grant administrator for a university. I live with my boyfriend and we have no children.

Thanks for popping into my thread.

Donna
Old 06-29-2005, 01:22 PM   #14  
Started SBD 1/26/04

Donna if you have time you should really check out the P1 receipes on here. There are a lot of receipes for breakfast that do not have eggs in them. I like eggs but can't eat them every day without my stomach getting upset.

One of the best things I have finally figured out is that it is OK to have dinner for breakfast. Last night we made the garlic soy pork chops in the SBD cookbook and I just made extra so there would be left overs and had it and some spinach for breakfast.

Another thing I do for breakfast is several turkey slices (Oscar Mayer has a good one that is very thinly sliced), one cucumber cut up into slices, a cheese stick and a small V8 juice. It usually is to much for breakfast for me now but I just use whatever is left over for my morning snack.

Hope this gives you some "food" for thought and sparks your own ideas. Good luck on the beach.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:28 AM   #15  

Thanks Karla,

I actually tried the Mock French Toast this morning and it was delicious. I'm so glad I have an alternative to eggs. And I'm doing the Taco Casserole tonight and I might have it for breakfast tomorrow.

I'm know I shouldn't have looked but this is day 4 and I'm down 2.5lbs. I'm so excited because the diet is working. My workouts have always been challenging but my weightloss was next to nothing b/c I didn't have the diet down. I think with the combination of good eating and intense exercise, I'm going to do well on Phase 2 and beyond. I don't feel hungry at all which surprised me. I thought without starchy carbs I was going to die. But as long as I can have snacks (almonds and celery with laughing cows or cucumber and tomato slices with hummus), I think I'll do fine.

Donna
Closed Thread