Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-20-2005, 10:31 PM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Cool Cool Runners #11 - June 20-26

Hey gang -- So sorry for the late start for the running thread...à

Yesterday I ran 9k... felt really good...

MrsD -- Yes, it is totally possible to wear smaller clothing when you are fit and muscular, that is the wonderful thing about muscle, it may weight more but it looks like a LOT less... have a look at my siggie muscle vs. fat...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:09 AM   #2  

Hi,
I thought I 'd join the running thread as well. I am currently running 3 - 5 times per week on the treadmill. I am not very good at it but for the last 3 weeks I have met my personal goal of doing 25 kms or more per week. I hope to get myself in the future to run outside.

Ran 5 kms yesterday, intermittend running/walking.
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:05 AM   #3  

Hi Rabbit - welcome.

I ran 9 miles on Sat and it felt much better than the 6K race did the week before. I went yesterday and got my new runnng shoes. Boy, am I a problem child with my narrow feet, high arches and need for heel stability. I am sure braces and glasses come next. Oh wait, I already have the glasses Anyway, they are Saucony Hurricane 7s and I like them a lot. I was between these and a pair of Mizunis and these won out based on how the arches felt. I will try them today on my hill treadmill run and report back. OUr long run is 10 miles this week and I am really excited by it rather than apprehensive. I know I can do this!
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #4  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Hello, I keep on reading this thread but don't often post. I'm building up my running and enjoying it a surprising amount. This morning for the first time ever I ran 10k on the treadmill in 67 minutes. My previous best was just over 8km, and I was surprised to realise this morning that I might have even been able to carry on had the treadmill let me (after 60 minutes it throws you into a maximum 10 minute cooldown - I managed to keep the speed highish until I got to 10k, but there wasn't much chance of going any further). Something's telling me I'm going to move on to running outside soon if I want to increase my distance any more.

I'm so far ahead of where I expected to be. When I could hardly run 1k earlier this year I entered a 5k race, and hoped to be able to run 5k by then. Maybe 6. It's still 2 weeks away and I can do twice the distance!

Which leads me to the main reason for this post. I'm off on holiday next week and come back the day before the race. While I'm away there will be a gym in the hotel I'm staying at for a few days, and for the rest of the time I will have access to a dog that I'm told would love to go for a run with me as its owners (my sister and her boyfriend) don't run! But should I be trying to wind down my running or keeping up my schedule pretty much as it is at the moment?
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:08 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Hi YP1 welcome and congrats on your running and your first race... I'd say don't push too much the week before a race or you'll be too tired to run well. Do easier workouts no more than 1 to 3 miles the last 3 days, so I guess this would be good when you are on vacation and running with a dog . Get lots of sleep, I don't know how easy that is on vacation though... Eat well not too much unprocessed (read junk food) and have fun the day of your race....you will definitely finish the race because you are doing so well on your running at the moment...

Did a short run today 5.23 km I didn't have much time so I was in and out of the gym in no time...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 06:39 AM   #6  

Hi

I ran 7.2 kms today on the treadmill. i was bored after 30 mins, and then I heeded ilene's advice and threw in some intervals...much LESS boring !! I am actually enjoying this.

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:40 AM   #7  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hello all, it sounds like everyone's getting some good running in! I do think it's hilarious though that some people's "short" runs or "easy" runs are my long hard ones! Here's hoping one day I will be calling 5K short and easy!

You might remember that last week I ran 5K in 42:30, and set a goal of 40 minutes to work toward . . . Well, I guess I must not have been trying too hard last week, because today I ran it in 39:36!! I don't know if it's just that I didn't push myself enough last week, or if the leg strengthening (circuit training class) I've been doing has made a big difference. Anyway, I'm going to set my next goal at 36:00, and I'm guessing it will take me more than a week to reach that one.

In other unrelated news, our weather has finally gotten nice! We had some oppressive heat and humidity a couple weeks ago (record-tying high of 93), then it suddenly got really cold again (highs in the 50's), but now it is just right, in the upper 70's and low 80's.

I was wondering if you all had some suggestions for me about how to schedule my workouts . . . I'm not training for any specific event, and I don't know if I have time to follow any training schedules I find online, but I tried to make up my own:
M - run 5K
T - circuit training (cross-training/strengthening)
W - run intervals (trying to do speed work)
Th - circuit training
F - easy run? I don't really know yet
S or Su - long run (right now about 4 miles)

Does that sound like a good plan? Should I be doing hill reps? I already got thrown off for this week b/c my knees were bugging me Monday, so I just did the bike, and last week I ended up not working out at all on Friday and just doing the long run on Saturday. Anyway, let me know if you have any advice! Thank you so much!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:27 PM   #8  
Made my Goal weight!

Hey everyone

Well, I had started the Novice 10km training program but found I wasnt challenging myself at all, so I have re-thought this and bumped up to the intermediate program and so far so good....I feel like I am really challenging myself and making speed and endurance gains....which thrills me!

No doubt I will be able to run a sub 60 minute race by October...YAY!!

Keep up the good work everyone!

Leanne

CW 119.....yay!!
LeanneM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Been out of touch recently. Began my training for the 10mi at the end of August. That will actually be the longest I have ever done. I am so excited about it. I am doing a beginners program for that but like you Leanne am finding it easy. At least for right now! Sounds like everyone is having a good week

Paperclippy-Congrats on breaking 40:00 min. Also in regards to your schedule. Looks pretty good the way you are alternating days. I am assuming you usually take off Sat or Sun which ever day you don't run? Make sure you are taking one day a week off so you get enough rest to stay healthy. Also consider adding a little stretching or yoga one day, maybe the day after your long run?

YP1: Your first race? Exciting. I would agree with Ilene's advice of some easy runs and lots of rest. Oh and don't forget to take a bathroom break before the race starts. As soon as the gun goes off, I always get that "gotta go" feeling. Ha Ha.

SJ
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:14 PM   #10  

Thanks Everyone who replied to my question regarding my training schedule. I really appreciate all of the feedback you provided. Since I don't have a race planned I think I am just going to keep repeating the training week until I can do it just as it states. I am finding that I still have to walk for a few minutes in the middle of my 20 minute runs and I tend to take a longer walk break between my 5 minute sprints. I am also going to do this with any additional weeks that I have trouble doing. Maybe by the time I am able to complete the training plan as written it will be time for the "Race for a Cure" 5k in September!
NillaWafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I ran about 7 or 8k yesterday with hill repeats thrown in the middle. Hills are my friends. (I keep telling myself this, but I'm not sure I believe it). I was scheduled for 8k this morning, but with the combination of my 16 month old waking up every 30 minutes or so from 2am onward and me catching the cold/sore throat that was causing her to wake up, I just could not get out of bed early.

YPI, I agree with the others, take your holiday as a chance to cut back a bit on running so that your legs will be fresh for the race.

Ellen, good luck with 10 miles this weekend!

Leanne, Good that you found a schedule that challenges you a bit. I'm sure you'll be able to go sub-60 by the fall.

Papperclippy, nothing like a good day to help you meet your running goals! 36:00 sounds sufficiently challenging but still within reach. Your workout schedule looks fine to me and an easy run Friday would fit in well.

Nillawafer, your plan to repeat weeks as you need to sounds perfect and you'll be ready for the 5k by September if you stick with it.

Skinnyjeans, I'm sure your program will ramp up in difficulty soon. Most programs seem to start out really easy for the first 2-4 weeks, but they build up milage quickly.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:01 AM   #12  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Good morning everyone!

Leanne - Sounds like you're doing great! I'm sure running it in under 60 minutes will be easy for you by then.

Skinnyjeans - Yes, I plan on taking one day completely off. I usually do a good bit of stretching after my workouts (about 15 mins, give or take), but I have been considering adding yoga. Do you have a preference for which type of yoga is best? Also, I love your advice about the bathroom break! I heard that when P. Diddy ran a marathon recently, he had to go but there wasn't time before the race started, so he had his personal assistant get him a ziplock bag to pee in!

Nillawafer - I know nothing about training plans, but your plan sounds good to me!

Only Me - I hope you feel better soon and can get some sleep tonight!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 11:52 AM   #13  
Running Babe

As for training programs. My half-marathon clinic starts off really slow, since I am also doubling as a group leader for a 10K clinic I am still getting some tough workouts in. We did 4 hill repeats last night, but it didn't go too well, my lungs got tired or something. At least I did them right? Tonight I have a 3.5K steady run for my half-marathon group. I think their Sudnay run is 7K right now, while we're doing 10K in the 10K clinic. I am also preparing for a 15K so I am throwing in a 16K run tomorrow and then tapering for the next two weeks. I have ice ready incase my knee needs it, but due to building up all this strength over the past year I am relatively pain free (knock on wood). Saturday will be my off day (it is usually Friday). I am also doing a race on Canada Day in Kanata, should be an easy 10K (it's 2 5K loops).

I realized something though, since I always run slow, I have no clue what my race pace is right now.

Cheers Ladies!!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 12:32 PM   #14  
Made my Goal weight!

Hey Everyone...

Well, I must say this Intermediate training program is PERFECT...today is the first time in several weeks that I actually feel my muscles fatigued, which is wonderful because no pain no gain, and it shows I am pushing myself out of my "running comfort zone"...YAY! AND I also love love love that I do not have to run for time, but distance which makes me feel great also and actually ENJOY my run WHILE I am running!
Hubby is now into high gear training for his Ironman in Sept....he was chosen to represent this army base in the "mountain man" competition in Edmonton in August...I am SOO proud of him....when we lived in Edmonton in 2002, he only made it like 1/16 of the way through the mountain man race....

Good Thursday to everyone....

Leanne
cw 119.....yeah baby!
LeanneM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:06 PM   #15  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

Hey guys. Checking in and WOW it sounds like everyone is doing great. I need to put some intervals into my training as well but how do you do that when you run by yourself. I did this morning's run in about 26 minutes for a 2.0 miler. I have some steep hills in this route that i run so I am definitely getting a good workout in. Oh yeah and guess what I went to the store to buy a new pair of capris because I've been wearing the same pair of stretch size 22 jeans for 2 years and guess what? I fit into a size 18 wooohooo. And this accomplishment is being made WITH TOM hanging around LOL. I am not getting on a scale for a long time I am measuring myself with clothing and right now I am comfortably in an 18. That was my goal for the summer to be able to fit back into my size 18 clothes and I made it. Thank you Jesus!!!!
MrsDawsondn is offline   Reply With Quote