Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-22-2005, 02:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Curious about "splits"

So when you say you do, for example, triceps on one day, would you do, again for example, all the exercises on fitsite.com ( http://www.fitsite.com/index.cfm?CategoryID=21&do=list ) for triceps at one time?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:09 PM   #2  

Personally, I do upper body one day and lower body the next. Now that I go to Curves which works both upper and lower body in one workout (rather than do dumbbell weights at home like I used to do), I rest from strength training and typically do cardio on alternating days.

I also try to work out a muscle group to "exhaustion" -- sometimes that happens with 3 sets of the same exercise and sometimes I can do 3 sets each of multiple exercises. I can do more bicep exercises before stressing the muscle than I can tricep exercises for example.

I hope this helps to answer your question.
byugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:34 PM   #3  

Usually I do 2 or three exercises per body part, with 3 sets of 10 reps for each. With small muscles like the triceps, there's no way that you could do 7 or 8 different exercises at one time, I don't think.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:07 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Today I worked triceps and chest, they are a good combo because when you work chest it incorporates a lot of the tricep muscle... I usually do 3-4 exercise of each muscle group 4 sets each...working to exhausting or failure I usually add more weight with each exercise ... in my first set I will do 12 reps, second set 10 reps, third set 8 reps and last set 6 reps and this is usually quite heaavy and my muscles are toast when I am done.

Another good combo split is Back and Biceps....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:44 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 8"

Smile Splits

Hi! When I do splits I do 3-5 exercises per muscle area. When I was in better shape I would do:

Close Grip Push up (put your hands so you make a triangle with your forefingers and thumbs)
Overhead Triceps Extension
Lying French Press
Triceps Kickback
Side Lying Push-ups

But I can't even barely do one side lying push-up and the close grip push ups I do if I'm feeling exceptionally pumped up!

So right now I just do the Overhead Triceps Extension with dumbbells, the Lying French Press w/dumbbells or an EZ Bar, and the Triceps Kickback with a dumbbell.

Personally I really wouldn't do more than 5 exercises that target one specific muscle group. I do 3 sets of 8-12reps depending on the weights I'm using.
I usually only do 2-3 for my biceps though as they seem to bulk up really fast. Like a Concentration Curl and a Supinating Curl or I do a Hammer Curl and a Standard Curl.

Oh and one more "me" tip... When I do splits I do each muscle group 2x/week. Oh and if you wanted to do all those exercises you could do Half one day and Half your second workout, or do 1/3 of the exercises 3x a week, so you would be constantly challenging and your workout would be so varied you could probably do it for months without having to change it up. So hope this helps you figure out a workout that's suited for you!
Sun_Flower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 08:34 PM   #6  
Mel

Read this thread from last week: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59969

The last five or six posts discuss splits and several different approaches.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote