Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-21-2005, 01:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

Default What's a good exercize for bad day blues?

I'm in one heck of a funk today...and instead of taking it out on some chocolate I'm going to vent myself at the gym. Are there any types of exercizes that boost you up more than others?
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #2  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Thumbs up

I'd say some intense cardio! Get those endorphins going!! You don't say what you normally do or what your current fitness level is -- but I know that HIIT (high intensity interval training) intervals always did it for me!! So, for example, get on the stationary cycle or the elliptical or the treadmill and every 4-6 minutes give the intensity a burst and go as fast as you can for a minute or two, then go back down to a strong but manageable pace for a few minutes and then do it again. It does wonders for energizing you and keeping you engaged, and it releases all those "feel good" endorphins! (It also happens to be the best thing ever for weight-loss targeted cardio!)

Great job avoiding the choco and doing something healthy for yourself!! VERY healthy response, girl!!! Hope you feel better. Do those intervals and you're sure to!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:45 PM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I agree with Sarah, cardio cardio cardio! Running/jogging is my drug of choice, but the elliptical is also great. I prefer anything but the stationary bike, which makes me feel like a bum because I'm sitting down! And make sure it's something you can do for more than a few minutes (I can only do the Stairmaster for 10!), or it probably won't be as good.

AND, if you're not just feeling generally crappy, but are angry about something, I'd suggest some weight lifting (or if you gym has a punching bag, some punching!). I find that weight training helps me get out my anger!

Great job deciding to go to the gym instead of eating! I should have thought of that yesterday when I was having a bad day . . . at least I managed to eat yogurt instead of a brownie!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:04 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I think any and all types of exercise will help... When I get to the gym and it's cardio day and I don't feel like it, I warm up very slowly and eventually I feel like it... Same with weights I start easy and work myself up and within 20 minutes I'm in the mood to workout and in a better mood all around...

Good for you for not taking it out on chocolate...

So what did you end up doing anyways?? Let us know...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:29 AM   #5  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

It depends what sort of bad day it is! If it's a violent, angry sort of bad day then cardio is good. For an "I really don't want to exercise" bad day I usually swim. I find that it's far easier to persuade myself to do that because I enjoy it and it doesn't get me as tired or sweaty.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:38 AM   #6  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile

So what did you end up doing, Solus? Inquiring minds want to know!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:42 AM   #7  
Princess Kittyfluff

I'd go for kickboxing or something. I can't count how many times I wished there were somewhere I could go after work and just beat the fluff out of something. Or martial arts... nothing like getting to kick hard and yell at the same time.

Alas. Night-shift workers get the short end of things, unless you happen to be able to afford 24-Hour Fitness (which I can't), and don't mind the fact that most of them are just pick-up clubs.
lunameow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

I am afraid to say that I got in a wreck on the way to the gym. I'm ok, it was just a fender bender, but that shattered the last of what little resolve I had and I never ended up going to the gym.
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote