Old 06-20-2005, 05:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 328/292/135

Height: 5' 1"

Talking Exercise "Mis"adventures

We all work so hard to lose weight, and get so intent on the struggle that we forget to laugh sometimes. And if we can’t laugh at ourselves who can we laugh at? Soooo….I thought it might be fun to share some of our more “interesting” exercise stories. Here’s one that some of you may remember from a few years ago, but I think is new to most.

My favorite story happened a few years ago when I had a YMCA membership. I had begun taking step aerobics to lose weight and was feeling self conscious because I was (of course) the biggest person in the class. Also, I’m not the most graceful person in the world by far, so the fine dynamics of step, kick, cross, kick were a little foreign to me. Anyway, about the middle of class I was doing okay and feeling rather proud of myself. “Look at me go”, I thought. Well, about that time I stepped wrong, causing me to fall backward on my south end and the step to FLY up and right into the back of the head of the woman in front of me. Luckily, it didn’t hit her very hard. She had more of a shocked expression when she turned around and found me lying on a heap on the floor. What could I do? I looked up at her with a stupid grin on my face and said “Duck!”

Coming next week – the adventure of Bonnieangel, Tae Bo and the potted plant!

Hugs!

M’Chelle
bonnieangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Lol that is too funny. I'm going to have to try and remember one of mine.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

too much..
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Wow - I'm a serious clutz - I have a couple but will narrow it down to two:

1. In a double-step class the instructor gently asked me to move away from the rest of the class so I wouldn't mix anyone else up!

2. While WALKING on the treadmill I lost my footing & fell - silly me I held ON & everyone could hear the skin rubbing off my knees until I finally let go & slid on my belly off the back of the treadmill. Lucky me the machines were all lined up in two lines facing each other so EVERYONE could see me. Kind of like the waterskiier who falls & doesn't let go - just without the water!

This is a GREAT topic!!! I can't wait to read more!!!!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:50 PM   #5  
...toward a better me!

I threw up my arms/hands into a moving ceiling fan in the middle of an aerobics tape. It was one of those moves where they instruct you to yell, "WOO!" with enthusiasm and throw your arms in the air mid-hop. My yell was much more "colorful"...
cecilyisworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:12 AM   #6  
undeniably moby

Hah! I love this thread.

I'm a huge klutz, so mixing me with any form of exercise is just asking for trouble.

I have repeatedly punched myself in the face while doing the speed bag portion of a Tae Bo workout. See, I have not-so-good depth perception. Couple that with punching the air frantically while sweating and in a state of delirium and...well, you do the math.

I've also had many water aerobics misadventures, including floating into the lap lane of the pool a time or two during crunches. Oh, I didn't mention that there were people SWIMMING in the lap lane at the time? Yeesh.

Also, it's a very bad idea to have an kind of tankini situation going on while you're water aerobicizing, whether or not the tag on the actual suit says "great for water aerobics!". Heed my warning: Two piece anything + jumping around = just very not good. Because -- and not that I'd know this from experience or anything -- but hypothetically you might be doing the rocking horse exercise and working up all this momentum and really kicking butt and thinking you're the sh...uhm, thinking you're hot stuff (because we're all weightless in water, you know)?

Well hang on there, Pam Anderson. Your boobs may be as big as hers, but yours are real and they MOVE. With that said, your top just might fly up at one time or another, and next thing you know you're showing the girls to the entire class, the instructor, the whole YMCA community, and most directly the cute young lifeguard sitting right in front of you who most likely is shielding himself with his arm and screaming "NOOOO! My eyes! My eyes!". But you wouldn't see or hear that, of course, because you're blinded and deafened by your own liberated breasts which just happen to be smacking you about the face and head.

You know. So I've heard.
satylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:37 AM   #7  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Now THAT is funny Satylite.....you have a great way with words!!!!!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:43 AM   #8  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satylite
But you wouldn't see or hear that, of course, because you're blinded and deafened by your own liberated breasts which just happen to be smacking you about the face and head.

You know. So I've heard.

Laughing so hard, DH is sure to be worried about me.
Welcome to the group, BTW!
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:55 AM   #9  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

I'm glad I'm not the only klutz!

I can't remember any specific incidences at the moment (though I KNOW there are some, and I'll post when I can recall them), but I am a disaster waiting to happen, usually. I'll set the scene, and anything you can predict will probably happen:

1. I live in a small upstairs apartment with slightly uneven floors.
2. I am chronically disorganized, ie- clutter everywhere.
3. My knees sound like castanets if I move them fast enough
4. Out of concern for my self-consciousness (and just his own plain silliness), my husband wears a paper bag over his head when he walks through the room where I'm exercising to a video.

No catastrophes yet, but can't you just see it coming?
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 328/292/135

Height: 5' 1"

You ladies are too much - Satylite, images of my own liberation in pools gone by come to mind...like the time I slid down a slide into the pool at the water park. Enough velocity and those puppies will pop free for the world to see!

Hugs!

M'Chelle
bonnieangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:59 AM   #11  

Oh, several of you brought back memories..probably not happy memories but some good laughs to start our days. I will have to remember the water exercise class with the 2 piece... hadn't thought of that.

My favorite is the Jazzercise years..you know..the skinny minnies in sports bra's and bike shorts doing their thing...and me..a lump in the very back of the class trying to look smaller and kewl. Now for Jazzercise..you have to have new shoes...don't want doggy do-do on those puppies....well, I bought a pair..but for some reason..shoe laces where the thing..they had to be 10 feet long. SO I am gracefully as I know how trying to keep up and doing the chain, ball chain and grapevine like only I knew how...everyone went left..everyone went right..I tripped over my shoe laces, fall on the floor, slide across it in perfect time only to pick myself off the floor....and jump right back in. I would of gotten away with it but the instructor..stopped the music to make sure I was ok..drawing attention to my bleeding arm..and bruised knee...but the biggest bruise was my ego! FOr some reason..Jazzercise never appealed to me again.

The other day, my daughter and I set out on a great bike ride. You know how you swing your leg over, hit the kickstand to make it go up and petal away..well..umm...lets say..I swang over..hit the kickstand but didn't petal anywhere..and my awkward moment was when the bike hit me between the legs.... being a girl and all..you wouldn't of thought that would hurt..but DH says..that hurts me just looking at you.

THen the same day..didn't learn my lesson..was on bike..went to go up driveway which is a horrible slant...because of the gutters...I decided to test my brakes and the bike goes up like a horse rearing up..bucking me off. Dh got another good laugh.

Then there was the fun at the hot springs on the water slide..I slide so much the butt of my bathing suit started to rip.... I didn't feel the cool air...until it was a blow out..finally my daughter told me...she was 3..WOW..what fun!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We won't talk about Richard SImmons in the basement but my now 5 year old daughter who tells me any mistake I make in the video and says..mommy..they are not watering like you.

Lisa
Wyoming
Lisa_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:27 PM   #12  

Satylite - I am so glad I am at work by myself. I have not laughed that hard in a long time. I am coughing!!! Thanks I needed that.

So years ago I did taekwondo.....

Once we were were doing exercise going from one side of the room to the other using our arms in a blocking motion. Well I went to block and knocked my glasses off my face and all the way across the room. Then I had to go run after them before someone stepped on them.
momX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:12 PM   #13  
2006 - Panda Remix

What a great thread - your misadventures have made me smile today! Thanks everyone!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:44 PM   #14  

Oh my goodness, thank you for the giggles. I am also happy that I am not the only one who has had some "mis" adventures. I have always been very body conscious, self-conscious is probably more the word for it. This incident happened in my full body self-conscious teen days many moons ago. It was a day where it was 100 degrees in the shade. My friend and I decided that we needed to hit the beach to cool off. I agreed, but very reluctantly. I donned my two piece tankini with a t-shirt over top. We arrived at the fully crowded waterfront. I spread out my beach blanket and sat down. It took a great deal of courage for me to disrobe. My friend, bless her heart, headed out into the water and motioned me to hurry up. I took off my t-shirt and sat on the blanket for a few minutes working up the courage to get up and go to the water. My friend started waving frantically and pointing to me. I, of course, looked behind me, beside me and finally down at myself. Ooops. I neglected to put on the upper portion of my bathing suit. On went the t-shirt and into the water went I.

I also tae bo'ed myself through my basement rech room onto the side love seat. Ended up in a complete puddle. My shoe got caught on the area rug. All I remember was flying through the air and landing with my two little wide-eyed girls staring on. My youngest was 3 at the time and said "Mommy, wee - that was fun!". I moved the rug and all has been well ever since! I could go on with the bike in the boulevard experience, the dumb bell on my toe and numerous others but I better stop. Hmm...maybe I better rethink kayaking given my history of "sporting" injuries!
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:56 PM   #15  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by satylite
But you wouldn't see or hear that, of course, because you're blinded and deafened by your own liberated breasts which just happen to be smacking you about the face and head.

You know. So I've heard.

Oh man, you're FUNNY!!
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote