Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-20-2005, 10:30 AM   #1  
Haley

Default I love water, but...

I hate getting up every 20-30 minutes at the office to go to the bathroom! But I guess every time I get up and walk all the way around the office to the bathroom that's just a little bit of walking I get in because most of the day is in my chair.

Also, I'm not good at keeping track of how much water I drink, so I've started getting a styrofoam cup (my office keeps them in the kitchen) and every time I get a cup of water making a little mark at the bottom of the cup so I can keep track. It's a lot easier than running through your head about how much water you've had.

Cheers to water!
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:35 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I know what you mean about the getting up and going so often.

I work in a call centre, and we're supposed to use the washrooms on our breaks/lunches - so I always feel a little guilty getting up and going - but they can't stop me! LOL

I alternate water with drinking crystal light. i use a 500mL bottle. with those crystal light singles, it's perfect. i start with water, then have crystal light, water again and then crystal light and end the day with water again.
lisette831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:11 AM   #3  
Alis Volat Propriis

One way I had heard to keep track of your water consumption at work is to make it a habit to drink one glass of water each hour, on the hour, that you're at work. For most of us, that's 8 glasses right there. No reason you can't continue that at home in the evening too. Or make it two glasses every hour. The point being.... the hourly routine makes it easier to keep track. As for anyone who might have a complaint about frequent bathroom trips, well... ask them to consider the alternative. Messy, messy. LOL
Quite-a-Handful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:01 PM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I totally understand -- I'm a student, and right now it's the summer so I am doing research full time and my bathroom usage is no problem, but when I started drinking all my water last semester, I was running out in the middle of class to use the bathroom! I felt really bad about that, disrupting the class and everything, but I really had to go, even though I had gone right before class too.

As for keeping track of water, my suggestion is to get a Nalgene bottle (or something similar but not name-brand). The Nalgene bottles hold 1L of water, and have volumes marked on the side so you can see how much you've got in there and how much you've drank. Two Nalgenes is a little over 8 cups. I usually fill up my Nalgene when I get in in the morning (around 9) and finish my first one by lunchtime. I refill it, drink some more with lunch, and I am usually done with my second Nalgene around 4pm. If I get really thirsty I'll refill it again, but usually I just wait until I get home, then have more water with dinner.

The first week or so of drinking lots of water I had a lot of trouble with it, and felt gross because I could feel all that water sloshing around in my belly. But now (I guess it's been about 2-3 months) I find that I just keep the bottle on my desk, and it magically vanishes into my mouth without me even thinking about it -- even to the point where every single day I have at least one occasion where I pick up my bottle to take a sip, and nothing comes out, and I think "Oh, I guess I drank it all already." What's funnier is that even though I know it is empty, I will leave it on my desk, and reach for it again three minutes later only to re-realize it's empty! (After I do that a few times, I usually refill it!)
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:05 PM   #5  
Haley

I've never heard of Nalgene. Where can you get one of the Nalgene bottles?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:20 PM   #6  
Haley

I googled Nalgene and found the site then looked for a place locally that carries it and there's a place right around the corner from the office. I'm going to go get one today. Thank you. I haven't gotten to the point where I feel water sloshing around, probably because I go to the bathroom so frequently, but I've felt that before, it's pretty strange.

Very true, Quite-a-Handful, the alternative is definitely a messy one. Eww.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:25 PM   #7  

i too l o v e nalgenes. i set my goal at two nalgenes a day. now, when i'm out at a restaurant (or somewhere drinking water out of a 'non-nalgene' container) i have trouble gauging how much i've had to drink. it's like i've lost the ability to keep track without my trusty nalgene . here's the link i know they sell them at rei or whole earth provisions (for us texans). they're like $10 or less, are durable as heck, and come in a zillion colors. i just got my niece a half-size one for her birthday.
punkrockgrryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I don't use a Nalgene (or any other bottle with markers on the side), but I do keep a 24-ounce water bottle (just an old Dasani water bottle) on my desk and refill it as often as possible. I find if I have a bottle bigger than that, then my water gets warm before I finish it, so I don't drink it all (I'm not a fan of drinking room-temperature water). This way, I refill it like 4-5 times a day, so it's usually colder. Today I've only filled the bottle twice, though, so only 48oz so far. Time to go fill 'er up again!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

Here's a little trick to keep your water ICE cold without cubes. Take a water bottle (any type will do) and fill it 1/3 full of water. Then freeze it. Fill the rest up with regular water and it will be cold for a long long time!

When I go on trips I have a HUGE 64oz bottle that I got at walmart and I use this method to keep my drink cold.
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 01:34 PM   #10  
Haley

Solus--It's so weird that you mentioned that today, yesterday I was thinking about doing that so I'd have cold water all day. Now I'm definitely going to try it. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2005, 02:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

I just use a 1 liter Aquafina bottle. We have a Culligan filter so our water is yummy I try to drink 3-4 bottles a day.

I keep meaning to buy a real water bottle but never remember to look when I'm at the store. I might make a special trip to a sports store sometime soon though. I'd like to use something nicer than an old plastic bottle.
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:10 PM   #12  
Haley

gray eyed girl: That's why I want to buy a good water bottle, all I've been using are cups and Dasani bottles. I have The Container Store near me, which I'm going to go to for a bottle. I think it's worth it to buy whatever you need to help you with your weight loss/being healthy.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:15 PM   #13  

I found if I just drink water I am fine but if I drink a diet pop or some other drink with a sugar substitute I have to make several quick trips to the bathroom. Eating foods with sugar substitute does not seem to have the same results. DM
DaisyMaisy is offline   Reply With Quote