Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-15-2005, 12:14 PM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default Music?

Hello there!

I was wondering what kind of music you ladies and gents listen to whilst weight lifting...?

I'm just filling up my new Zen Micro for a trip to the gym! I usually listen to fast dance music while I'm in the gym, but I'm trying to go slow and heavy with my weights (so that I'm tired after 10), so I guess I should listen to Norah Jones or something...?
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 04:47 AM   #2  

For me, Norah Jones would not get me weightlifting, just relaxed. Try to find music with a slow beat but lively, anything will do, rock, hip-hop, R&B, as long as the rythm keeps you fresh. For example, I like listening to Beyonce, Anastacia, Evanescence, hip-hop, Destiny's Child, Prince, rock etc etc.

Greekgirl
Greekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 07:52 AM   #3  

Hey frus, for weights I like rock, sometimes I listen to instrumental rock like Yngwie Malmsteem, sometimes Metallica, also some of the British music around at the moment like Kasabian, Franz Ferdinand and Kaiser Chiefs are great too, nice an uplifting up not too fast! I don't like the boppy dancey stuff for weights, but I do for cardio!

I need an MP3 player, sick of cds!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 06:28 PM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I tell you what really got me motivated the other day, I was doing lat pulldowns on 35kg which I tend to struggle to do 2 sets of 10, well that Etta James, I just wanna make love to you came on my MP3 and it really motivated me and I got through my 2 sets with gritted teeth!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 06:53 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Too funny - I like to listen to audiobooks while I'm lifting, and switch to music for cardio. And Kykeree, I love my (fairly) new MP3 player, so much more convenient than CD player, plus you can have exactly the music you want.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I am going to get myself an iPod for my birthday so I can stop stealing my sons. He and I have close to the same taste in music (hip hop, rap, R&B) but I would like to have my own so when he is gone, I am not listening to the gyms music. The gyms music isn't bad, 50s, 60s music, but I like my own better.

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

For me it depends on the exercises I am doing. For yoga and stretching I prefer something laid back-Enya, etc.

For cardio of any sort-I am an 80's FIEND. Especially 80's alternative and 80's punk. Give me loads of Billy Idol, OLD B-52's and The Talking Heads and I can go for hours! (It was my generation!) I am also a huge Prince fan...and loved his brother group, The Time. Old school rap is another favorite-Digitial Underground, etc. I prefer the old school rap "beats" to the newer stuff, it was just more "fun". I also love funky dance alternative such as Edwin Collins and Dee-Lite.

For strength training I prefer something more pressing and darker-Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, Type O Negative, etc.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:13 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Okay, I know I'm really on the other side here - but I am a country music fan and find many songs with a good fast, motivating beat that I use to exercise. I also like lots of OLD R&R song (being a child of the 60's).

I recently finished John Sandford's latest book "Broken Prey" in which all through the book the characters are talking about a list of the 100 best R&R songs - and they print the list at the end! How great is that? I'd forgotten about a lot of them - and never knew a lot of the 80's ones. I've copied off the list and will start looking for some of them for addition to my exercise play list.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:39 PM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey you guys - check out Overstock.com - I was there yesterday and they have some super deals on refurbished Rio MP3 players (including the one I have - the Rio Cali 256MB which Overstock has listed for $60).

I have all sorts of tunes on mine - we have a subscription to Napster (I'm planning my next MP3 player purchase to be "Napster to Go" compatible so I can load as many tunes as I want without having to pay for them) so I get a lot of variety. Current faves are remixed versions of old hits - such as the Motown Remixed collection (which you can listen to at www.motownremixed.com - it ROCKS!), the Curtis Mayfield remixes, etc.

Napster also has songs/albums organized by Billboard chart listings - a great way to browse through and hear a cool song you forgot about! Napster is also a great way to find songs that you can't find elsewhere. HIGHLY recommended. (I don't care for iTunes as they don't have a 'listening' option - it's buy or bye-bye).
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 07:27 PM   #10  
WW Moderator

MrsJim - can you load in Napster songs for free as long as they stay in your mp3 player?
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:32 PM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC
MrsJim - can you load in Napster songs for free as long as they stay in your mp3 player?
You have to be a "Napster 2 Go" subscriber, and also have a player that's N2G compatible. ==> http://www.playsforsure.com/SearchRe...riptionEnabled

Actually...today we just signed up for the new Yahoo Music Unlimited - which is only $60 a year if you pay in advance ($7 a month otherwise) and it comes with the subscription technology as well for that price. And if you want to buy a song to burn onto a CD or rip onto your MP3 player it's only 79 cents a song We'll see how it works out - so far pretty darn good
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:13 AM   #12  
one fat penguin.

Late in replying but...

For cardio I listen to rap/hip hop type stuff. 50 cent, eminem stuff like that. For weight lifting I love rock. Metallica, System of a down, my chemical romance stuff like that.
penguinbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #13  

Height: 5'4"

FYI, after reading MrsJim's post I signed up for Yahoo music and bought a compatible MP3 player (Dell DJ 30GB) and so far, I'm loving it too. I've got 50 hrs of music on it and it's only about 10% full. It's very easy to set up playlists on your PC and then sync them with the MP3 player as well.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote