Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 08:12 AM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Cool Cool Runners #10 - June 13 - 19

G'morning Runners

Thank you so much everyone for the well wishes for my Dad, he is doing very well....

I had a good weekend. It was quiet. I ran Saturday morning 7am to 8am and it was already almost 30c very very ... Sunday I ran on the and it was all good, only 5k though...

MrsD -- Congrats on the improvements, you are on your way!!

Ellen -- on the 10K and your time...

It's still hot here and I am loving our new central AC newly installed this year...

Today will bike to the gym and work legs...
Old 06-13-2005, 09:35 AM   #2  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

hello everyone sorry but I posted this in the old thread so I'll repost here

Hi ellenwu I was excited to hear about the race and it sounds like you've accomplished the run even with it being hot and sticky out which is great Kudos!!

Congrats on the scale victory Leannem83 sounds great!!

Paperclippy thanks so much for the compliment! I have actually been training myself to run since September 2004 so it's an advance but it definitely has not been an extreme advance. I started out with the walk/jog program the 8 week program then it started getting cold outside and I stopped running for a while. Then I started going to the Gym and working out on the treadmill and by the time March and april rolled back around I would experiment with running outside but I didn't get serious about it until May so It's actually been a long complicated journey lol So pace yourself and you'll be there in no time.

Only me congrats on getting out there even when you didn't feel like it! that's a great accomplishment. Also I was wondering about that exacct same issue that you were talking about to allie. I know that I am alot bigger than you guys but when I run afterwards I am very hungry and most times I'm pretty consistent with eating clean but sometimes my appetite is out of control and I am on a serious plateau that will not budge for anything. My hubby on the other hand doesn't have to work out half as much as I do and he loses weight with no problems! I may need to consult my doctor about a balanced diet because I have Hypothyroidism and I wonder if that is what's making it so hard for me to lose this 5 lbs that I've been fighting for a month. I guess I'll find out soon enough after my weigh in next saturday. Well i've decided to up my daily runs/ walks to 2 miles in the morning instead of 1.6 miles. I did pretty good today I ran it in 25:38 so I'm happy. hopefully this will shock my body into losing weight lol. Last week I ran a total of 11 Miles.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Good morning everyone! I think I will be getting longer runs in now that I have switched to running M/W/F and strengthening T/Th instead of trying to do both in one 1-hour workout. 5K this morning in 42:30 -- I'm wondering what is a good goal to set for my time. Ultimately I would like to be able to run 5K in 30 minutes, but that is a really long-term goal (considering I'd have to do better than 10 min/mile, which seems really hard to me). Is it too small of a goal to aim for 40 minutes?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:28 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

MrsD you are doing just so awesome! You should be proud of yourself.

Paperclippy, you'll have to let us know how the new workouts go. 40 min down from 42:30 is more than a 5% improvement--a goal well worth setting.

Ilene, my thoughts are with you and your father.

I had a hard time getting going this morning, so I settled on a short walk 1.5mi, which turned into 2.5mi by the time I was done--I just enjoyed myself. Saw a beautiful red cardinal on my walk this morning. I found out this week that one of my triathlon friends is also pregnant, due a couple months after me, so I'm hoping we can motivate each other to get back to racing after the babies come. Maybe some trade-off sitting so we can do a long run or ride once in a while.

Hope everybody has a great run today.

Anne
Old 06-14-2005, 10:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

HI everyone! Spent a long weekend in the UP and was able to fit in a great couple of runs. It was so quiet up there.

I just promised to run a 10 mile in August with a friend so I need to start training for that if I am going to be ready. I have 10 weeks which is a good amount of time, I think. Does anyone know of a 10 mile training plan? I haven't seen one and am thinking of modifying a 1/2 marathon to fit my schedule but thought I would ask anyway.

Paperclippy-I think 40 mins is a good goal to work for. Big enough to take some time to reach, small enough to be encouraging that it won't take forever.

Anne- I'm glad that you have a Trithlon friend who is pregnant also. It will make getting back into the swing of things more enjoyable. Also you have someone to commiserate with while you are missing your rides and runs.

Ilene- I am so glad to hear your Father is doing well.

SJ
Old 06-14-2005, 11:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Ilene, I've been reading about your heat wave and I'm rather glad that we've been right on the edge of it and it's always cooled down at night. Seems to be over for us now, as it's cool and rainy today and until friday.

Paperclippy, 40 minutes sounds like a good goal for now.

Anne, your friend and you will be out together pushing jogging strollers or pulling bike trailers before you know it.

Skinnyjeans, I'm not how much you're running now. Hal higdon's novice half marathon training is pretty gentle and only goes up to a 10 mile long run, so that might work as a training program for you; it's a 12 week program, which might be too long. Alternately, he does have a 10mile/15k training program on his site too which is only 8 weeks. It's www.halhigdon.com.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:13 PM   #7  
one of my goals!

S/C/G: 215/203/150

HAPPY FLAG DAY!!!
Heat index today is about 100 degrees, I am totally stupid for going out for my little walk/jog/run in the middle of the day???????
I am a new runner, sort of. I have come back to it, because it has always proven to be the fastest way for me to lose weight and tone up my legs.
So, here is my issue today, do I go out at 1-2ish, or weight until this evening when it might be 5 degrees cooler?
Also, have I mentioned how much I hate living in the Deep South? No offence to all those Southern Belles, but I was not made for this kind of weather!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for the link OnlyMe. His training schedule looks to be pretty much what I was hoping to do.

SJ
Old 06-14-2005, 04:15 PM   #9  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

hello everyone hey brunette chic 2000 "waving". I think when you run depends solely on what is a better time of day and how it fits into your schedule. 1-2ish may actually be a not so good choice especially if your in the south because usually the hottest time of the day is between 3-5pm so it may start to get a bit hot at that time. My preference is in the Morning because I have children and a husband and I work 8-5 and I'm kinda like a soccer mom(Driving kids to practice and games and going to church) LOL. Plus my whole day runs just a little bit smoother when I run in the mornings. Some people like the evenings because you can wind down and relax and the sun is going down so it's much cooler. It just depends on you and your schedule.

Update I walked my 2 miles this morning at 39:55 so that was cool. I am gaining weight though and I have no idea why!!! Can someone please explain to me how to curb these hunger episodes that I have like 2 hours after I workout or run? It's hard to diet AND run i need help!!
Old 06-14-2005, 05:50 PM   #10  

Brunette - welcome to the gang. I agree with the advice you got from Mrs D - you need to figure out what works best for you. Ase you doing your run inside or outside? That could have a huge impact on what time, especially in "code red" days.

Mrs D - you are doing awesome and are an inspriration to me. Your dedication helps me get my sneaks on. I feel like we are "doing this together".

Anne - friends make all the difference. My "workot buddy" just left for a writer's workshop for 6 weeks and here at "Day 2" I am sorely missing her.

Paperclippy - 40 min was my goal for my first (and only) 5K - I came 9th out of 13th in my category and felt like a million bucks at the end. I started training in Feb and ran it at the end of April, so you should have no problem. If it turns out to be too "easy" of a goal you can cross it off your list and set a lower one. That is the beauty of the goals - did that one, on to the next!

I had a running assessment yesterday at a local physical therapy studio. Here is a "copy and paste" from my post in LWL. All in all, it was a great experience:

... Also, yesterday my trainer and I went to a physical therapy studio to have my running assessment done. It was a very thorough and interesting session, and I highly recommend it. The therapist examined my feet, ankles, legs, knees and hips. He had me stand and walk barefoot and again with shoes. Immediately he turned to my trainer and pointed out the problem and why my ankles were hurting so much. I have a severe pronation (sure hope I got that right) in the heel section of my foot, but not mid-foot or front. It is very dramatic. He then took me outside and video taped me walking and jogging on a trail from front, back and side and did the same inside on the treadmill. He said that most people have a different gait on trails vs treadmill, but I, surprisingly, was consistent on both. He also pointed out that I go too vertical in my stride - mostly from the hips. He then gave me and my trainer a list of exercise I could do to combat both issues and walked us both through them. I am so glad I took my trainer with me, as he asked a lot of good questions and worked with the PT to make sure we were doing them correctly. The PT also gave me a list of things to look for in shoes (and I thought gray was just a color). It was well worth the time and money.

Today I went into the gym to do my hill run on the treadmill and realized I was too hot and tired, so I did a hill walk instead and concentrated on things the PT told me - like pushing off from my big toe and engaging the glutes more.

I could feel the difference.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:31 PM   #11  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will definitely make 40 minutes my goal!

Mrs D - I find that if I have some kind of protein about 30 mins after working out, I don't get as hungry later. Usually I have a yogurt right after I get out of the shower, and that works for me pretty well. I also make sure I eat something with protein and carbs before working out (but if you get cramps, you need to be careful about that), usually cereal and milk, but I know a lot of people recommend eggs (or egg whites or eggbeaters or something). If I skip my post-workout snack, I will be starving all day long!

Brunette - If you run in the middle of the day, make sure to bring a BIG water bottle along! I know what you mean about the weather -- I'm in New England, not the South, but after growing up in the super-dry desert-y heat of Los Angeles, the humidity around here is killing me! I'd rather be parched at 105 degrees than sweating like a pig in humidity at 90 degrees!

Ellen - Wow, that sounds really interesting. Was it really expensive? The closest I've come to having something like that done is that when I bought my running shoes the guy at the store made me run in a few different pairs to find out how much arch support I needed! My whole family has this issue where our arches are really high, so without arch support we roll our feet toward the inside and have this sort of "waddle" . . .
Old 06-14-2005, 11:34 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Gang !!

I ran inside tonight because it is just too hot out 25-30C and humid, yuck !! I ran 6.4K in a little less than 50 minutes so that was good for me I'm no speedy Gonzales...

Yes, Paperclippy, a 40 minute 5k is a very honourable goal!! Go for it...

MrsD -- I eat every 2.5 to 3 hours this keeps my cravings at a minimum, because I am always planning a future meal ''Oh good in 30 mins I can have a salad and salmon or cottage cheese and strawberries or oatmeal and eggwhites... I have a portion of protien and a portion of carbs at each meal... Usually before a run I have 1/3c oatmeal with 1/2c eggwhites the eggwhites either in an omelette or mixed in with the oatmeal (yes, I have weird taste in food) I will often have the same when I come back from a run too but first I drink a lot of water as soon as I walk in the door... Eating often though takes a LOT of planning, but I really like it this way now... When I BBQ for the family I always make enough for leftovers for a few meals so I don't have to think all the time of what to make and just grab what I have...

I ran at 7PM tonight, I really enjoyed it but the downfall is that it's 11:30 and I'm not tired, I'm gonna pay for this tomorrow ...

TTFN
Old 06-15-2005, 02:17 AM   #13  

Hi gang,

Looks like everyone is doing great! I've been hanging in there chipping away at the C25K program -- working on week 5. I'm going to have my first big challenge on Thursday. I'm supposed to run 2 miles without stopping. I'm scared but I'm gonna try my darndest to do it. I should be done with this program by mid to late July depending on if it takes me a little longer to reach some goals. My goal is to enter my first 5k by early to mid August.

I'm finally starting to "feel" like a runner now. When I first started about a month ago, I felt clumsy out there but now I'm starting to get into a rhythm. What a great feeling!
Old 06-15-2005, 08:10 AM   #14  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Hi All, I ran 7k this cool and rainy morning (better than hot and humid!), including 3 hill repeats. But I think the hill was a little shorter than it was supposed to be, so I'll have to find a longer hill that's about the same distance from my house for next week's hills.

Wazzugirl, good luck with week 5 day 3. I did it last summer and I still remember the feeling of accomplishment when I finished it. If you feel like stopping early, take stock. Can you still breathe? Can your legs keep going? Any other physical reason to stop? No? Then don't let your brain stop your body from moving.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:46 AM   #15  

MrsD, I also had trouble controlling my hunger when I stepped up my running. I never found a really great solution to it. It helped somewhat to eat an all-carb no-fiber snack (I have a finicky tummy when I run and if it isn't easily digestible, I'll pay) about 30 min or so before, and have a carb/protein snack IMMEDIATELY after I finished, before showering even. Chocolate milk works great for that, since it helps to rehydrate too. Adding (or just rearranging) a few more calories right around a workout can sometimes help ward off a bigger indiscretion later when you are just starving. Having said that, while I dropped a lot of sizes after I took up running (18W down to a 10/12), it didn't seem like the weight came off as quickly (30 lbs in about 6 months, where I'd been about 10lb/month before). I also felt really sick anytime I ate anything resembling lo-carb, and felt a lot better once I balanced my diet at about 60% carbohydrate, mostly the low glycemic load kind, i.e. lots of fruit, veggies, legumes, and whole grains, except right before and after running where high GL stuff was better. Remember, everybody's physiology is different so what was/is true for me, may not be true for you, but that's what I experienced, in case it's helpful to you.

Ellen, sounds like you had a very cool experience with your PT. You'll have to let us know how it works out long term! Do your shoes fit your running style and help with your pronation issues? Some shoes are better for that than others and can make it easier.

WazzuGirl, I'm so excited for you on your 2 miles. Breaking new barriers always makes a person feel great about herself. I know you can do it!

Ilene, Only Me, humidity is terrible. It may be 100+ here, but at least it's dry and the mornings are great. When I visit my parents in Missouri, I just want to curl up and die. So unpleasant. Take care of yourselves, that can be dangerous!

My goal for the day is about 45 min of step aerobics this evening. I'm starting to bring myself around to the conclusion that I need to get off my butt, even if my chosen activities (run, swim, bike) are out of reach for me now with the pregnancy. Stop moping about it, so when the time comes to start up again, I'm as close to ready as I can be. Funny that I didn't realize I was moping, until I'd been doing it for 3 months!

Run strong, everybody!

Anne
Closed Thread