South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 07:52 AM   #1  

Default Calories?

Hi All, I've been using Fitday.com to log every morsel that crosses my lips (on it's way to my hips). I notice that I really don't consume many calories. Since starting SBD I average around 950 calories a day. What is the range for caloric intake for losing weight? I want to lose weight in a healthy way - but I fear that I am slowing my loss by not eating enough. Interestingly I'm not hungry at all.
Thanks for your insights!
Char
Old 06-14-2005, 08:23 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You definitely should not be going under 1200 calories a day! Be very careful! Your body will go into starvation mode and you will really stall! I believe fitday has a place for calculating what your caloric needs are depending on your lifestyle.
A one or two pound loss per week is safe and healthy. That means cutting your daily calories a bit - it takes a 3500 calorie deficit to lose a pound.
Please take care of yourself.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I thought fitday had a place that did that too but I just checked and couldn't find it.

Here is another site that will help you calculate how many calories you need.
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Take care,
Sarah
Old 06-14-2005, 10:09 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Schatzi, you definitely, as Ruth said, need to be over 1200. How much over is something each person needs to figure out for her or himself. The calculators will give you an idea, but they aren't perfect. Only you know what makes the scale move while keeping you healthy. If you find you need a small amount of calories (like 1400), make every one count by ensuring that you are making healthy choices, okay?
Old 06-14-2005, 12:20 PM   #5  

HOLY SCHNIKIES! According to that BMR Calculator and calculations I should be eating 2,000 calories to maintain my weight... so If I cut 500 off that I should be eating around 1500 calories a day to achieve a 3500 calorie savings to loose a pound. Alrighty then EAT I WILL (healthly foods for sure!)

Sarah - thanks for that site... and Sarah, Beachgal and Ruthie : Thankyou for your concern ..I felt those cyber hugs!
Old 06-14-2005, 03:35 PM   #6  

If my BMR is 1450, how many calories is my max daily to lose one pound a week? 950??

This is way too low..
Old 06-14-2005, 03:42 PM   #7  

MRCE, when you calculate, Did you take your base BMR, and calculate your daily calorie needs based on your activity level using Harris Benedict Equation. If not , go back to that site, and click underneath the BMR calculator to get the info to determine your daily calorie info.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:21 PM   #8  

Thanks for getting me straight on the calculations!
Old 06-15-2005, 07:38 AM   #9  
gotta lose it!

mrce - I don't think it's a good idea to cut all your calories I think you want to combine it with cutting back on your eating & increasing your activities.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:59 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2Bfab
mrce - I don't think it's a good idea to cut all your calories I think you want to combine it with cutting back on your eating & increasing your activities.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I currently cardio 30 minutes/ day 4-5 times a week (elliptical, treadmill, bicycling, jogging, Gazelle) and strength/tone train 3 times a week.

Do you think this is enough?

Here is my FitDay: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...tml?Owner=mrce
Old 06-15-2005, 09:10 AM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

That's one of the problems with these calculators. As Soon suggested, you want to do a combo of eating less calories and exercising more. As you can tell, you can only cut calories so much. Then you need to add exercise. But if you don't eat enough calories to support the work you are doing exercising, you may hurt yourself. So try to find the balance.

The calculators can help you start to figure out the calories that work for you, but eventually, you just have to experiment until you figure it out. Okay? And be aware that as you lose, you'll need to readjust the calories to your new weight. No matter what, stay above 1200 or you'll be dissapointed (and unhealthy!).
Old 06-15-2005, 10:35 AM   #12  
Started SBD 1/26/04

OK does anyone know anything about fat grams and what we should be eating? I know we need to choose low fat items but isn't it just as bad to get to little fat as it is to get to little calories?
Closed Thread