Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-13-2005, 09:07 AM   #1  

Default Just starting the process for surgery

Hi, everyone. I am just starting the process for WLS and I am feeling very ify about the whole thing. One minute I am all excited about it and the next I am scared to death. I still have a long way to go. I just started with the testing that the doctor I chose requires. Then there is the nutritional classes and things. Plus my insurance hasn't approved anything yet. I wanted to have the lap band but my dr. says my insurance won't pay for it. They will only pay for the Roux-N-Y surgery. That is what scares me. Actually having my insides replumbed.

I weigh 245 pounds and I am 5' 4". I am 39 years old and have been overweight my entire life. I walk 40 to 55 minutes a day and lift weights and try to watch my food intake but the weight never leaves. I used to be able to loose weight but eventually would gain it all back and more. The last 8 years nothing has worked. It is like my body just refuses to let go of its' extra padding.

My family keeps discourageing me and that adds to my feelings of fear about the surgery. They keep telling me that I am putting my life at risk. How did those of you who had the surgery finally decide to just go ahead with it? did you have doubts?
Moonwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:52 PM   #2  

Default Wls

I know it may sound difficult but I decided to self-pay for the lap band.

My sister and 1 cousin had rny and another had the band. After talking with all of them, I knew the band was for me. My sister was 4'10 and weighed 250 pounds and the cousin who had ryn was similar.

The cousin who had the band had stats similar to ours. I am 5'4 and was 218 when I decided that I wanted the band. If it would not have been available locally, I would have gone to Mexico. The price there is less. But I would have had to go through tests locally to get a fill and those would have cost me. I would have saved about $3000 having it done in Mexico but I'm justifying it with my income tax savings are estimated around $4000.

I did end up re-financing my house. It is adding about 4 years to my payments but those 4 years are nothing compared to how much better I feel. And I am not quite 3 weeks post surgery.

Make the decision for you. The band is less evasive but does cost you money. For some, the potential to get a fill when you start gaining/yoyoing is worth it.

Good luck in your decision.
Road Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:42 AM   #3  

Don't rely on surgery. I had a stapling done 20 years ago.My stomach capacity was very small and I lost 130 pounds but I started eating less food more often and calorie intake rose. Over time my weight crept back up and now I am a perpetual snacker. I would NEVER recommend any surgery.
orchardgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:27 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

sorry to read about your experience, orchard. and unfortunately, 20 years ago, there was so little information about post-op life, that many many people have found yourself in the same situation.

surgery alone will not take care of the weight LONG TERM. but surgery combined with watching what you eat and doing your exercise WILL help you lose the weight AND keep it off.

that's why you keep hearing that this isn't magic. it takes work, time, and attention. BUT, if you look around here, like at MAINTAINER'S, you'll see that after awhile, there's no difference. we have to do the same things that everyone else does. as dawnajoy around here says, surgery levels the playing field for us, so the rules finally work.

unless you're ready, willing, and able to make the necessary changes, and change for life, you'll lose a lot at first, but then regain it.

and that's one of the big reasons that insurance companies want 6 months of supervised weight loss programs. they want to see that you can stick with something, and make some long term changes. a hurdle, of course, but ask yourself, what's 6 months compared with the rest of your life?

it's a big decision, and there are no easy answers. so do your research. ask lots of questions...
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:33 PM   #5  
Lightn'Up

Thumbs up So helpful

I am considering surgery. I find this thread very helpful. It seems to me that surgery forces one to re-learn how to eat. After that you practice what you learn for a year or two and have the reward of weightloss. Finally, you have to decide whether you want to keep it off and keep up with your new habits.
I feel like I have always have a huge stomach ( the organ itself not the belly ) since I was a child. I was always trying to get more food and they would say "aren't you full yet?" NO!!! I feel like I get hungrier faster than other people. A physically smaller stomach might give the chance to follow the weight loss rules I've been trying to follow for years without much success. I know it won't be magic and I will still have to know how to say "no".
Talk2Tiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:23 PM   #6  
Starting over once again

I am considering surgery because I feel like I've tried everything else. I want to but at the same time I get so scared that I back out. A couple at my church had surgery & then a friend had the surgery. Only one of them had any complications. Still... in the back of my mind, there's always thoughts lurking there.

I don't know. I'm looking into it thoroughly before I decide anything.
natenkayliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote