Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-12-2005, 10:23 PM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL # 207 Week of June 13 - 19

Good Morning (It's really late Sunday night, but I know I won't get to this tomorrow morning.)

Today was supposed to be my day off from workouts, but dh and I lugged 2 couches out of the basement and two different couches into the basement, so I'm feeling like I did an arm, back and shoulder workout. I thought my arms were just going to come apart several times. At one point, it looked like dh might have to spend the rest of his life in the basement and I'd just throw food down several times a day. We managed to wedge the heaviest of the bunch, an old, old full sized sleeper sofa, into the stairwell. I can't remember how it got down there in the first place

I did well with food and both scheduled and unscheduled workouts this weekend Yay me! Also manage to pick away at the endless "to-do" list a bit, including planting the flats of dessicated marigolds that I bought 2 weeks ago. I hope the poor things survive.

Chest and spinning on Monday

Have a good one, LWL!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:06 AM   #2  

hi Mel and the other LWL,

Mel - Neat trick to beat Ilene to start up the thread !! i hope you'll recover from the couch cardio.

Of to a new week. I have crawled out of my hole for the best part. I keep repeating myself that even though it is all incredibily small steps, in the end it WILL matter.

Yesterday I did 4 km on the treadmill, at a slightly higher speed. I did the run in the afternoon so this morning when I hopped on for my morning run my legs were like lead. Still I did another 4 km, and I think I'll stick to early morning from now on if at all possible.

Have a great week all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:45 AM   #3  

Hi LWL -

Mel - you have taken a whoel new approach to the "Couch Workout". Yikes! Hope you and DH are not feeling it too bad today. That was some off day!

Rabbit - I hear you on getting out of the hole. It is really one foot in front of the other. I am glad you are disciplined and committed and your daily workouts are helping me get to mine. Thank you.

I have not made any firm decsions on my goals. I do know that the weight numbers are not right, but do not know how to change my relationship to them. I feel like I have been told all my life that the weight number is the only acceptable scale to be graded on (sorry, no pun intended) and now finding out that is is not the only one and may not even be the best one. It is a hard thing to let go. I thought I could handle letting it go and move to the body fat % and measurements, but that didn't work too well for me, either. My reading has shown me from a health perspective that body fat % is the most important indicator of health. I do know that I want my overall weight/body fat/ BMI/ etc to be in the "healthy" range. I am happy to be out of "morbidly obese" and "obese" into the "overweight" range, as well as the changes in diabetes, blood pressure, cholesteral. anxiety and depression (seriously) - that is amazing progress. So, indecision it will be for a few days more.

Today is a 30 minute easy run and weights in my regular schedule plus my running assessment this afternoon. I am pretty excited about it and hope they can tell me what to do so my ankles stop hurting for 2 days after a long run.

Have a great day - I am glad this is a new week!
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:01 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Hey gang

I had a decent leg workout today but it was very slow going at first, I am so tired these days and lazy too, I'll blame it on the heat !! Food is ok but not perfect...

Ellen and Rabbit--*You are both doing exceptionally well , if the scale isn't moving right now it will eventually if you keep this healthy lifestyle up... don't you worry it's a dreaded plateau and eventually it breaks.....

MelL -- You are just too for your own good... Just don't hurt yourself
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:03 AM   #5  

hi LWL.

Ilene, Ellenuw- too much compliments to me I am afraid. I have backslided again and fallen with an enormous BOIINNK into the hole. it seems deeper than ever. So today I plan for some mental cardio, to get me out of this so I can continue on plan in the next days.

Ellenuw - depression is serious. Been there, and still breathing deeply

Ilene, as you say somedays it is just about putting the one foot in front of the other.
I hope things are working out well with your dad.

Thanks for the support and have a great day all,
rabbit
Old 06-14-2005, 07:43 AM   #6  

Hi everyone,

I had a very nice weekend wity a nasty tail, On Sunday we celebrated the 50th birthday of a dear (American) friend. Het parents, both in their eighties, had come from Virginia (Lexington) and we had a bbq in their new house (and nice weather).

Downside: I had a mosquito bite that started itching and grew into a 6 inch red hard patch yesterday so I opted to go to my GP instead of gym. I got medication and had a good talk about some other stuff too. I got praise for training and we agreed to combine this with some therapy. We decided against medication (like xenical, which I won't touch anyway) and try this first in combination with sugar and thyroid tests. Small wonder I'm feeling relieved. I have a good relationship with this doctor as she is overweight herself (lost 45 pounds last year too), and knows what she's talking about.

Went to the gym today and met another nice person (she's Mexican) so had a nice chat while biking. GOOOD workout, I'm happy with myself.

4rabbit, you just start over, backslides are there to teach us someting: that we have to stay alert. So they're actually good for you. GO rabbit GO!
I had a bad patch the last few days. Now I'm up and running again (foodwise)

Poor Mel, watch out with carrying this kind of stuff! Why do we have men in the first place? Heavy weights and no brains (I hope DBF does not see this). I prefer to lift heavy weights than couches any day (says somebody who's moved 4 times in 4 years)

Ilene, I am thinking of you

Ellen, way to go on the 10K! Your goals will come to you all of their own. My advice would be to learn as much as you can about yourself and exercise, weights and foodplans. We're also here for any questions...

Scratch scratch scratch, nice day to y'all!

Lieke
Greekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

Rabbit, chin up girl. If you beat on yourself then you make it worse so don't look backwards, look forwards to what you know you are capable of achieving.

Ilene, I feel you on the slow and lazy. Man, we got to shake that off.

Hi rest of the gang.

I am trying to get back on kilter. I had a bad food weekend, coupled with no workouts. Monday's food was okay, but could have been cleaner. Today I was walking into the office with a bag full of good food, two dollars and dreams of Pop-Tarts. I stopped mid-stride, went back to the car and put the money back cause I know I am running REALLY low on willpower today. If I don't workout tonight that will make 7 days with no exercise, which is bad, bad, BAD. I love summertime but HATE the havoc that it wreaks on my schedule. My goals for today are to 1) workout as SOON as I get home from cheer practice, 2) be in the bed by 10:30.

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:51 AM   #8  

Ah, Tiki, I did fall for some small marshmallows in a super mini bag, but combined with 30 min walk during lunchtime, I have a bag full of medicines (some homeopatic) to prove it. So I don't feel too bad about it. Tonight I will be extra good, feeding DBF extra and eating less myself.
DBF wants to gain 25 pounds and cannot, me, I have them extra...

GG
Old 06-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #9  

Ahh, Leike, men are so unfair. My DH eats and eats and never gains. On the other hand, he was getting the 45-spread before we started with personal training, and that is pretty much gone now. And he looks so good ...

Good luck to Tiki and Rabbit for getting back on track - I am reaching my hand out to you guys. Breathe in, breathe out, one step at a time. Showing up every day and being accountable to myself has been the only thing getting me through.

Ilene - *hugs* - remember to take care of yourself.

I think I feel this crap lifting. Did I ever tell you my yoga instructor is married to the ex-body builder who is going to review my food journal and help me set realistic goals? OK, now you know (love a small gym). So, she could tell I was not happy before our session. When I told her the results of my measurements, and the fact that I could not let it go, she freaked (but in that lovely, zen, way, of course). She said there was no way I was 31% and went to get her DH to measure me. So, "Big, Gruff Guy" (the original strong silent type) comes in with calipers and the book. I gotta tell you, this was the first time any one ever did this and it didn't hurt. So "Big, Gruff Guy" is amazingly gentle. Who knew? And my body fat was 28.5%, which would be a 1.5% decline over the quarter, rather than a 1% gain. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it meant the world to me. I wish these numbers didn't get me down so, but 22 years of statistics and project management make me want hard quantifiable measures. Yes, I need to learn to let go ...

Also, yesterday my trainer and I went to a physical therapy studio to have my running assessment done. It was a very thorough and interesting session, and I highly recommend it. The therapist examined my feet, ankles, legs, knees and hips. He had me stand and walk barefoot and again with shoes. Immediately he turned to my trainer and pointed out the problem and why my ankles were hurting so much. I have a severe pronation (sure hope I got that right) in the heel section of my foot, but not mid-foot or front. It is very dramatic. He then took me outside and video taped me walking and jogging on a trail from front, back and side and did the same inside on the treadmill. He said that most people have a different gait on trails vs treadmill, but I, surprisingly, was consistent on both. He also pointed out that I go too vertical in my stride - mostly from the hips. He then gave me and my trainer a list of exercise I could do to combat both issues and walked us both through them. I am so glad I took my trainer with me, as he asked a lot of good questions and worked with the PT to make sure we were doing them correctly. The PT also gave me a list of things to look for in shoes (and I thought gray was just a color). It was well worth he time and money.

Today I went into the gym to do my hill run on the treadmill and realized I was too hot and tired, so I did a hill walk instead and concentrated on things the PT told me - like pushing off from my big toe and engaging the glutes more. I could feel the difference.

So, I am not quite back to myself yet, but I can see I am not as far down as I was. These lows are quite scary - I have still not gotten over the fact that I emotionally understand how women fall into eating disorders, and it scares me. I look forward to my meeting with "Big, Gruff Guy" on Fri. I will say, overall, that food has not been an issue. I really feel I have changed my choices so much that junk is not in the house and not worth going out to get. On the other hand, no clear picture on goals - I will keep gathering information, hopefully, with a clearer head. Thank you all for sticking by me.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:42 PM   #10  

Good going Ellen!
Old 06-14-2005, 04:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Smile Hi All

Hello All you lifters!
Ive finally got the net at my place now, and Ive been consistent on my BFL workouts and eating and have been 'firming' up quickly!
Doing LBW this afternoon...looks like you ladies are keeping busy and committed to your workouts-way to go!
Have a great day!
Karla
wkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:45 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Afternoon, LWL. I'm surfacing after a way-too-long break from working out. Also, from 2 crazy days at work. Our Summer Reading Program begins this week, and yesterday, the first day of registration week, we registered nearly 200 kids - a record for a first day. We typically see ~500 kids registered for the program, so I don't know if we're on the way to a record year, or they were just anxious! (Y'all do know that I'm a Library Director, right?) Anyway, we also had 600+ patrons yesterday. Typical Monday (when we're open til 8) is 350-400. Fortunately no one on my staff went postal and everyone got served. . .

Ellen, once I again I see an advantage to living in a larger population area. I would so love to have someone evaluate my gait (is that the right word?) I'd also love to find a PT who has some certification beyond "I've worked out for years, I can do that." I know it's a trade-off, but I do get tired of some of the drawbacks.

My break from exercise was due in large part to the stupid respiratory crud I had, but I'm also dealing with my DH's depression and insomnia. He's really going through a bad spell and getting really frustrated. Again, the small town thing comes into play. Not many docs to treat this type of illness, and things just aren't getting better with the one he's using. We have to wait til mid-August to get an appt with another one. Meanwhile they've changed his meds yet again. Dealing with him stresses me too, and I feel that I need to spend time with him. He seems a little better this week, and has plans for several days, so I may get to the gym. And whoever said depression was serious, is so right. In many ways, his cancer treatment was easier. At least the results were easier to define!

And eating. What is it with men that their metabolisms let them get away with so much?? Mine is trying to maintain 135, and would love to get to 140!! So would I, just from the other direction. :lol

Ah, not much to say here, just touching base. I do have my gym gear in the car, and will at least show up!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:21 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Pat -- to you and ALL those stresses, good to see that your gym bag is packed and your determination is still there ... I have never known anyone with depression so I cannot imagine what you are going through, I wish you and DH well ...

Ellen -- Good golly I would LOVE to have my running assessed how cool is that?? I too live in a small community and it's a pain to find good Drs and other decently qualified folks... We usually go to Ottawa or Kingston or Brockville which are all over one hour away at least...

Tiki -- Today I was slow but not lazy I made it to the gym tonight at almost 7PM and I rarely go at that time but I had a good run 6.4k and it felt great, I didn't do any weights though... Tomorrow I'll work shoulders...

4rabbit -- How was was your mental cardio day?

GreekGirl -- Nice to see you're posting more, I love your posts...

Well it's getting late, see what late cardio does to me ?? I'm wired for sound and it's past eleven PM... I'm gonna suffer tomorrow ...

TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:55 AM   #14  

hi LWL,

Many many thanks for all your support. The mental cardio went Ok and as a result I am again climbing out of the hole and not sliding back.

Tiki- Way to go with the workouts girl, did you manage to meet up with billy or go to the track yet ? Very good for you to put back the money and remove yourself from a potential difficult situation. I admire using a cunning plan if you cannot brass it out on sheer willpower.

Greekgirl-I hope you are feeling better. Is this doctor going to figure out the thyroid problem?

Ellenuw-Good for you for the BF% AND to get your running analysed. Did you also get advice on what running sho support etc is best with your gait ?

Ilene- good for you to get into the gym again !

Pat - I hear you on the depression issues. I was the one that said depression is serious, having been there and occasionally sliding back. I also found it very difficult to get good professional help. I can imaging that it will be very very long to wait untill mid august for your husband to get to speak to another professional. I myself benefited enormously from bibliotherapy. Being a librarian that might also be a possibility for you and your husband for the coming weeks. The books that I found very helpfull were: David Burns, "Feeling good", and "the feeling good handbook", and Jon Kabat - Zinn "Full catastrophe living". The books by Burns are about the nature of depression and what you can do to lessen it. The book of Kabat-Zinn describes the program that he does at the stress clinic, which basically centers about using meditation and body awareness to prevent your body from going into automatic stress mode ( which then can invoke depressive reactions)

I feel that I am back on track. I ran 7 kms today on the treadmill, and the running continues to feel better.

Have a great day all,
rabbit
Old 06-15-2005, 09:27 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

Ellen, that is WAY cool. You are one lucky chick!

Leike, that is always the case with men. My brother struggled to gain 10 lbs to get in the Army, I had to struggle to get 10 off. Go figure.

Ilene, glad to see that you were NOT lazy. Not so great to be wired that late, but at least you got the workout in and that is what counts.

Hi to all the rest of the gang.

I made it to bed at 10:45 last night and was in the gym at 5:30 for shoulders. Back home for Tae bo and laundry and then to work riding an endorphin wave. I put together my sons weight bench this weekend so tonight I am having him work back and bis - very light weights. He is so excited. Last night he did chest and swore up and down that he was going to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger by the end of summer. I love his enthusiasm but I don't think benching 20 lbs is going to get him to his goal.

Tiki.

Last edited by tikanique; 06-15-2005 at 09:44 AM.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote