South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 12:50 PM   #1  
Conquering with SBD

Default Solo Bars

I just read an article in the paper about a new snack bar called a Solo Bar. The article says that they have been released in the US but won't be in Canada until July.

Anyway, the bar is touted to be a sloooow carbphydrate release bar and you do not get a quick rise, then sharp fall in body sugar levels.

If anyone has seen this, can you take a look at the ingredients to see if they are SBD friendly? Just thought this might be a possibility for snacks.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:05 PM   #2  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

in my opinion, they are NOT SB friendly as they have 15-16g of sugar in them:

http://www.solo-gi.com/products.html
Old 06-10-2005, 01:10 PM   #3  
Conquering with SBD

Another one of the 'low-carb' myths.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:18 PM   #4  

http://www.solo-gi.com/products_lowgibar.html has a list of the ingredients for the Lemon bar. It's second ingredient is plum puree that contains corn syrup.

http://www.solo-gi.com/products_302020bar.html has the ingredients for Berry Bliss and Peanut Power. They do look better than most bars but I would still avoid them.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:07 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Thanks for mentioning it, though, Peggy!

Barb, do you think prune puree would have corn syrup like the plum puree? There are a lot of recipes in the Splenda cookbooks I got at the library that have prune puree in them.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:20 PM   #6  

Laurie - Aren't we supposed to avoid prunes because they are high glycemic? I'll have to check my book when I get home but I think I remember that they are high GI. If not, then you should be able to make your own prune puree by just pureeing up some prunes in a food processor and maybe adding some Splenda if they need it. I can't remember ever seeing prune puree in the grocery store but I would still be tempted to make my own. In fact, I have the Ball canning book and at one point was thinking about making some of my own jams and stuff using Splenda but then I started seeing so many Sugar free ones in the store and I didn't feel like spending the time to can my own.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:26 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Barb, I would think the same thing since they are so sweet! But the GFGCG says that prunes, pitted, are good.

Would I need to add some water or something to make them puree, do you think? I've never made puree before! Most of the recipes use 2 Tbsp of the stuff in the whole thing, so even if it is high GI I'm thinking it'd be like the cool whip...a little sugar, but not enough to bother our blood sugar.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:16 PM   #8  

That is great that they are listed as good. I'll have to pick some up since I really like them.

I would think you might need to add some water and soak them in the fridge for a little bit and then try pureeing them. You might need to experiment to get the amount of water correct. You probably would want the puree to be fairly thick. It sounds good. If you get it where it works then please post a recipe.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:34 PM   #9  
I can do this!

Absolutely! Thanks, Barb...you are such a source of reason for me! I love the recipes in these cookbooks...they are Unbelieveable Desserts with Splenda and Fabulous Foods with Splenda.

Cool!
Closed Thread