Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-07-2005, 01:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

Default Exercise machines - manual setting or one of the programs?

Which does everyone else use? I've been using an elliptical machine and a recumbent bicycle at the gym for about half an hour each. I'd just used the manual setting before yesterday but yesterday I decided to try interval training instead and it felt great! Is there a big difference between the two? Any reason I should not do interval training again today?
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:08 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

While I usually use the manual setting (though on the elliptical I set the level), I have tried the programs. On the treadmill I find that I have to work harder - in intervals of course On the elliptical I haven't found much difference.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:55 PM   #3  
Meg

I always use the manual settings to create my own intervals.

It's perfectly OK to use interval training or a program every time you do cardio.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:46 PM   #4  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

On the elliptical I like to try out the different programs that they have because I've found that I slack off when I just do the manual setting. Also, I don't get bored as quickly because if there is something "hard" coming up then I have a bunch of mini-goals in my mind. I end up going a greater distance and working out at a greater intensity when I'm doing a hill-interval program.

If you continue to push yourself on the manual settings then you`re probably getting the same benefit as you would doing the programs.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

WaterRat, do you change the levels manually? I tried doing that but slacked off.

Meg, I tried that but the workout seemed to drag and it was hard to motivate myself to want to do the intervals. Hopefully it'll get easier to motivate myself as I get more used to exercising.

WastedThermos, that's how I feel too. It goes faster wwith the intervals .
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:34 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

On the elliptical I choose a higher level - manually - and then challenge myself to keep the rate at a certain level. I find that I really need upbeat music. Plus I often close my eyes and try to get into a "zone" where I'm not paying attention to the time.

On the treadmill, I sometimes go for the programs, other times just alternate faster times with somewhat slower, or work my way up the incline and back down.

Basically I just try to play with things to keep it less boring and still get a good workout.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:36 PM   #7  
The Supreme Potato

I hit "quick start" on the elliptical, set the level, and then try to keep the speed gauge at a constant (80 on my life fitness elliptical) for the whole duration of the workout. I do this so I do roughly the exact same amount of work each workout, that way I can look at what my heart rate is doing at various time intervals to see if I'm getting in better (or worse) shape. Anything to keep it interesting...

spud

spud
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:44 PM   #8  

It depends entirely on my mood. I very often do a hill program on both the treadmill and eliptical, as I get bored otherwise. I too listen to music, we have the radio on at the gym, but I take a cd player, as they always play the same station and it's boring. If I am listening to something good I can get into a zone and the time flies.

I play with different programs and mix it up often. I really enjoy my cardio time. I can't believe this time last year the only exercise I ever got was walking to the store for the newspaper, it's such a part of my life now.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:46 PM   #9  

When I was unexperienced gym goer I used Elliptical on X-trainer aerobics - it is nice and says what to do. Currently I find that it is way too easy for me, even on highest level. So I do hill or random with reverse mode on (it does 2 min of reverse after each 5 min) and I often get bored too. I noticed that I can only use equipment for so long and my "long" inside the gym is 30 min. Even best music can not make me do it longer than 30 min, however, I can run for hour or so and bike for 2-5 hours without getting bored, i guess because scenery changes.

In summer I rarely use elliptical as go for bike ride or run or swim...
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:56 PM   #10  
One day at a time...

Well I am an interval person...I let the machine set the program to increace the stride length and resistance every 3 minutes or so...i get on for about 45 minutes. After reading different fitness mags i have found out that periods of hard vigourous exercise followed by short recovery periods is most beneficial.
April_Showers is offline   Reply With Quote