Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 01:57 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Eggplant parmesan

I have a very pretty eggplant in the fridge. What do you think about making a Core dish from it?

If I were to coat it in egg, then cornmeal, then panfry in olive oil, then top with spaghetti sauce and FF mozzarella, and bake ... wouldn't that make a good meal? And wouldn't it be totally Core?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:13 PM   #2  

Looks Core to me. Yummy, as well. I make something similar and sometimes put ricotta or cottage cheese between the layers of eggplant.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:17 PM   #3  

Do you have a written recipe or just wing it? I'm not sure what to do, but since I have to go get some FF mozzarella I could get the other ingredients.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:28 PM   #4  

I just wing it. Generally I broil the eggplant slices with just a little oil, but pan-frying them with the cornmeal sounds good. Sometimes I also mix a little chopped spinach or fresh basil into the cheese filling.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:32 PM   #5  

Yummm ... okay, this sounds like a plan!
Old 06-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #6  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

OHMYGOD - I love eggplant parmesan - or eggplant anything - actually I used to make "eggplant pizzas" and this sounds so similar: would slice eggplant, dip in egg and then breadcrumbs w/garlic, oregano and herbs mixed in (substitute the cornmeal here), then top w/tomato sauce, veggies and cheese (ff I guess). Pan fry the eggplant, then arrange on baking sheet w/toppings and broil until cheese melts and bubbles!

It is so yummy - and I bet w/some brown rice on the side it would be delish - CAN YOU TELL I'M AT WORK AND I'M STARVING!!! Bring on the eggplant!

Salivating Froufie

P.S. okay just called dh to tell him to add eggplant to the grocery list - like he probably does not even know what it looks like! ha ha ha

Last edited by Froufy; 06-08-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:10 PM   #7  

Oooh, that sounds so good! I could even put sliced onions or mushrooms or bell pepper strips on top before broiling!
Old 06-08-2005, 04:45 PM   #8  
Melissa

I have never eaten eggplant but what you all are describing sure sounds good. Maybe I should try it! Getting DH to try it will probably be another story...
Old 06-08-2005, 04:47 PM   #9  
Southside White Sox Fan

I'm with Melissa. Never had it but it sounds good. You could check out barbos diet kitchen to see if there are any recipes.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:17 PM   #10  

I have never tried eggplant so not sure if I like it but I saw it on Food Network this weekend on the show Weighing In.. it's the guys that cuts calories..it sounded so good and I am thinking about trying it...Here is the receipe that I got from the show:

Eggplant Parmesan Recipe courtesy Juan-Carlos Cruz

Recipe SummaryDifficulty: Easy Prep Time: 15 minutes Inactive Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes Yield: 6 servings User Rating:

1 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup egg substitute
1 medium eggplant, sliced into 6 (1/2-inch) rounds
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion,
sliced 3 cloves garlic, crushed and then minced
1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
2 (15-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place bread crumbs on a shallow plate. Pour egg substitute onto another shallow plate. Place a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet. Take a round of eggplant, dip it into the egg substitute until fully covered, and then drag through the bread crumbs until completely coated; transfer to a wire rack. Repeat for each round of eggplant and then bake in oven for 15 minutes. While eggplant is baking, heat olive oil in a 5-quart nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add the chili flakes and stir to incorporate. Add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and stir to blend completely. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the basil, and remove from heat. Remove eggplant from oven and leave oven at 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a medium-sized casserole dish (about 13 by 11 inches) with the eggplant rounds. Pour the tomato sauce over the eggplant. Top with the cheeses. Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is soft and bubbly. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Nutrition Information
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 245
Total fat 10 grams Saturated fat 4 grams
Carbohydrates 26 grams Fiber 5 grams
Old 06-09-2005, 08:21 PM   #11  
Southside White Sox Fan

Sounds great. I guess we could substitute cornmeal for breadcrumbs and FF mozarella for part-skim so the recipe could be Core.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:00 PM   #12  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I made eggplant pizzas for dinner tonight and there were excellent - I ate too many. I may have used too much oil tho - I forgot how much oil the eggplant absorbs.

The cornmeal worked well - w/garlic, italian herbs, salt, pepper....

...and some for lunch tomorrow too of course!

Frouf
Old 06-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #13  

I am hoping my eggplant lives until Saturday, when I plan on making it and having with WW spaghetti (plus garlic, tomatoes, and shrimp). Here's my recipe, thanks to Froufy.

Eggplant Pizza

Slice the eggplant, dip in beaten egg and then in cornmeal mixed with garlic salt (and whatever other spices). Panfry slices in olive oil, blot with papertowels, then arrange them on a baking sheet. Top with sliced onions, bell peppers, mushrooms and FF mozzarella; broil until cheese is melted and bubbles.

YUMMM! I can't wait!
Closed Thread