Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-07-2005, 12:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Hurt Knee

What are some exercises that can be done with a hurt knee? (walking, except in short busts is out)
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

what about swimming? That would keep weight off your knees, although I can also see that kicking through the water might hurt.
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #3  

Hi Solus,

I've been swimming a lot recently and my knee's are killing me, but maybe you could do some weights on your upper body until it heals. at least you can be toning while you're recouperating.

All the best

Sarah
Sazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:29 PM   #4  

Maybe you could try going to a gym that has an elliptical trainer? I have one at home, and it's no-impact on one's joints. I have a sore knee, nothing too serious, but bothersome all the same, and the elliptical doesn't bother it at all, though it does give a very good workout.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

There aren't any decent (clean, not over-crowded), near-by places to swim where I live, so that is not an option.

I am def. going to lift weights with my arms. The problem with my knee is that I'm not sure it's going to heal any time soon, so I was hoping for something semi-aerobic to do.

My knee hurts because I am so heavy and I am spending a lot more time on my feet preparing my own meals...and of course all this extra cooking leads to a huge mess in the kitchen which needs to be cleaned, and anyway, it boils down to spending about 3 hours a night on my feet...plus, I moved to a place where I have to climb stairs to get to my bedroom (in retrospect, not a good idea) I was also doing a lot of walking for exercise, but I had to give that up due to the pain.

I am pretty sure I'm not going to get "better" I manage to take some of the pressure off (by losing weight). Last time I hurt my knee like this I spent 2 weeks on crutches and bought better shoes. I don't have the option to do those things this time so I am going to just stay off the knee as much as possible...
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:03 PM   #6  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

this may sound really odd but you can do semi cardio with your arms in a cycling motion.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:05 PM   #7  

I'm in the same boat, Solus. I fell about a year ago, and fractured my kneecap. Not overly fixable, and I'm stuck with a fluid pocket in addition to the fracture.

I've found that seated exercises, such as stationary biking and the like help some. They tend to be a little easier on the knees becuase it's not having to hold up all my weight.

as far as the cooking goes, you might try getting a tall swiveling kitchen stool and using it for most of the cooking. My mother swears by hers, and she is practically wheelchair bound.
dakotamidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:40 PM   #8  

I tore the ACL in my right knee back in college. One of the biggest parts of my physical therapy after recovering from surgery was riding a stationary bike because they are no impact.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:22 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Amen on the swivel chair. My aunt is also in a wheelchair much of the time, and on a walker the rest. Yet she loves her kitchen. One of her kitchen staples is a hardy and sturdy rolling and rotating stool with a lift feature like those that can be found in your doctor's office. So she stays just as active in the kitchen, but no standing required.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:36 PM   #10  

Solus, the stationary bike is an excellent idea. Also, you probably need to strengthen your quad or thigh muscles, which will in turn benefit the knee. There are some simple quad strengthening exercises, but you should check with your doctor first. Ask your doctor to send you to physical or occupational therapy for your painful knees. There, you will get much needed information and help on strengthening your knees so that you can walk without pain.

Good luck, dear.
Gladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:51 AM   #11  
I will do it!

I can related to knee pain. I've had x-rays taken and thankfully I don't need surgery. When I went in January I was told I had early stages of Arthritis. Losing weight would help some. Since then the pain has gotten worse and is now in my right knee. I find that when it is cool and damp it hurts more.

I'm only 35! My knees hurt! AHHHHH!!!
debsturn is offline   Reply With Quote