Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-06-2005, 04:09 PM   #1  

Default STUCK!!!!!

I am getting so discouraged. I can't break the 140 mark for the life of me. I'm 5'2" and about 140-141lbs for the last 5 weeks. I've been low carbing and watching fat and cals, sort of like the SB in my own way. I walk every morning, waitress 3 nights a week, work a 40 hour full-time day job(sitting) and I go to night school on Thurs. I don't know what else to do... AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Gitterdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Could you be pregnant? LOL I only ask because 140 is exactly where I was stuck. I ended up reducing my cals to between 1300 and 1400 and upping my exercise to nearly 90 min. per day to break the plateau. I managed to get down to 137 in one month...before finding out I'd been pregnant for 2.

It could be that you need to decrease your cals, up your exercise or both. Or it could be that you're not eating enough cals compared to the amount of exercise you do. Try playing around witih the numbers. Increase the exercise and decrease the cals (but try and stay above 1300) for a couple of weeks. If you don't notice even a slight drop, try increasing your cals a bit for a couple of weeks and see if that has an effect.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/210/175

Honey, all I know is I hope yours isn't plateauing out. Man, I was p.o.'d when mine plateaud last year, that's why my weight got back up in the 190s. I had plateaud between 180-185 and no matter how much time I added to my workout or restricted in my diet, that scale wouldn't have moved if I'd paid it I don't believe. I hope you can figure out whatever's causing it to stall though.
LesnarsTXF5Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

You mention that you are walking every day, and waitressing. Are you doing any sort of strength training? (weights, Pilates, etc?)
Cardio burns a lot of calories and helps you lose weight, (walking, aerobics, jogging, biking, etc.) but strength training really firms and shapes the body and adds muscle. Muscle burns more calories through the day than fat. I would recommend adding strength training a couple times a week to your regime.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:43 AM   #5  

I agree with Aphil. Adding weights to your routine, even if it means cutting out a little time of your cardio schedule, can be a great boost to your metabolism. And, it improves the appearance of your body significantly even if you stay at 140 for months.

With that said, nobody LIKES to plateau but all of us do at some point. Two things have helped me mentally push through when I've gotten stuck.

First, look at the overall picture. Do you plan on giving up healthy eating and exercise once you hit your magic number? If not, then the number on the scale really isn't all that important. Your main goal should be to live out the rest of your life healthily and your weight shouldn't stop you. Keep doing what you have been and the weight will eventually take care of itself.

Second, I remember why I care what the scale says in the first place. Vanity, of course. My health is my number one concern but, make no mistake, I want to look good too. So, when my weight plateaus I have one of two options. Stick it out knowing that eventually I will reach my goal albeit more slowly than I would like or give it all up, undo all of my hard work, and regain every pound. I am not happy with my current weight. But, I'd much rather be stuck at 153 for the rest of my life than ever be 214 pounds again. I don't look as good as I would like to right now but I look a heck of a lot better than I once did.

Don't give up. Try and mix up your food and exercise routine - it might jump start things but if it doesn't at least you won't be bored of doing the same old same old without seeing the results you want. Do your best to focus on something besides the scale - take your measurements, track your body fat percentage, try out some new healthy recipes, or gradually increasing the time and/or intensity of your workouts. Anything that will help keep your program fresh.

Good luck!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote