Old 01-07-2005, 09:46 AM   #1  

Default Mushroom Medley with Spinach

Mushrooms can help make dishes like casseroles, stews and chiles more healthful. Simply cut back on the meat and add mushrooms, which provide a “meaty” texture and rich flavor.

Ingredients:
2 tsp. sesame oil
20 oz. assorted mushrooms (shiitake,button, etc.), stems trimmed, caps sliced
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1/2-1 Tbsp. minced garlic, or to taste
1 package (10 oz.) ready-to-use spinach leaves, stems removed
6 green onions, cut into thin strips
1 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions:

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat until hot. Add all mushrooms and sauté until brown and almost tender, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes.

Add bell pepper, ginger and garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add spinach and green onions and stir until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes. Stir in soy sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.

Nutritional Information:
Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: 44 calories, 1 g. total fat (0 g. saturated fat), 6 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. protein, 1 g. dietary fiber, 111 mg. sodium.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:00 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Barb, does it really take 10 minutes over high heat for the mushrooms to be tender?
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:34 PM   #3  

You know, Laurie, I don't think I have ever watched the time that closely. I just watch for it to be the right level of tenderness. I would bet that it takes less time. I haven't made this in a few weeks. Maybe I'll plan it for next week and time it. It does taste REALLY good. I LOVE all these veggies.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #4  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Thumbs up I made this last evening

It is absolutely wonderful! My husband, boobalah, flipped over it. It serves 8 so I divided by 4. I rehydrated some shiitaki and wood ear mushrooms as well as including some crimini (fresh). Now he wants to take it in other directions to suit other types of food that we prepare.

Thanks for the post. Oh, if you use the dehydrated mushrooms, it will take a bit for all this to cook. I did a slow saute and it did take almost 10 minutes.

cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote