South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 04:13 PM   #1  

Default HELP! Love the SBD, but not sure.....

Hello all -

Just found you and loving searching through all the old posts and stickies!

Anyway, I am nursing my second child and trying to get rid of the extra babyfat! I seem to be stuck and would love to do the SBD again, but have read that it isn't appropriate for nursing mothers (at least phase one). I am wondering why - I mean specifically. I was on SBD before I was pregnant and had great success, and would like to do it again, but would really like to DO it - including phase one for 2 weeks as I really believe it was an important part of my success. I have also posted this on the nursing board, but it wasn't very active, so thought I'd post it here as well.

My dd is 8 1/2 mths old, and I'm hoping to wean her by 12 months.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Grace&Bella'sMama; 06-04-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:35 PM   #2  

I'm very new to SB, but I know Atkins real well and the first 2 weeks of each plan are similar. On Atkins, it's ketosis that you have to avoid during pregnancy & breastfeeding. Maybe it's the same thing for SB in the first phase??

Rose
Old 06-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #3  

Well, my babe is 22 months old and I really ate healthy during pregnancy and breastfeeding...I know that when you're prego you're supposed to get 300 extra calories a day, but breastfeeding requires an extra 500 calories a day!!! I wouldn't see why you couldn't do Phase II and just make sure you get at least 2,000 calories a day!!! SBD isn't about calorie counting, but I'd at least make sure you were getting enough, ya know?

Just my thoughts, but what do I know?
Old 06-04-2005, 09:01 PM   #4  

Thanks for the insight....Yeah, I was wondering about the whole ketosis thing, too. Not sure if that's the reason or not - I should probably just accept the fact that I shouldn't do phase one, but I am such an analyzer I just have to keep thinking about it!

I've tried to eat pretty well during nursing, but have failed somewhat. This is my second child, and she is truely just as important and special to me as my first one was, but I just don't seem to be able to make the time to really eat as well as I did when I was pregnant with #1 dd - could it be that 3 year old running around?

I am always sooo hungry! I'm also not a huge nursing fan - I like it, but I don't find that I'm as gung-ho about it as others may be.

Anyone out there found something that really works so nursing mothers can get to their goal weight?
Old 06-04-2005, 10:00 PM   #5  
A Lily from my yard!

Hey there! I'm not sure why it's not P-1 friendly now for nursing Mom's. I thought the reason before was due to no dairy but now you are allowed dairy in P-1. You do not ever go into ketosis with SBD! The purpose of P-1 is to detox your body from all the sugar and toxins in the "junk" food we were eating. Hope to see ya around. Why don't you call your doc and ask if they are familiar with the SBD and ask them what they think.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:18 PM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Bamie is right. You won't go into ketosis on South Beach. (if you do, you're not eating enough good carbs!!)

Here's a quote from Dr.A:

...my daughter is nursing but wants to lose some of her post-pregnancy weight. Is this diet OK for her?

Dr. Agatston: For your daughter, Phase II would be fine during nursing. She should emphasize fish and fish oil (omega-3), which are important to the growing baby's brain and nervous system.

He aslo says you will need to add the consumption of three cups of 1-percent or fat-free milk per day to your meal plan while you are nursing.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:33 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Bella'sMama
I am always sooo hungry! I'm also not a huge nursing fan - I like it, but I don't find that I'm as gung-ho about it as others may be.
OH good gracious, I hated nursing *ducking* but I did it for 6 months and my darling daughter weined herself, thank GOD!!!! I do NOT have ample bosom (sp???) and my milk supply was pretty weak and one day she was like ENOUGH of this hard sucking!!!! I was sooo relieved...I can remember DAYS of sitting there in my chair literally going from one breast to the other breast for 9 hours STRAIGHT and NOT even getting up to pee!!! Ohhhh it was tough!!! O.K. had to laugh at what you wrote and then share my story!!! Whew this baby stuff is a LOT of work, why did our Mother's never tell us????
Old 06-04-2005, 10:35 PM   #8  
A Lily from my yard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carroll
Whew this baby stuff is a LOT of work, why did our Mother's never tell us????
Because if they had they knew they would never have had GRANDCHILDREN!
Old 06-04-2005, 10:42 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiegurl
Because if they had they knew they would never have had GRANDCHILDREN!
HA HA, you are absolutely RIGHT Bamie!!!! That is funny!!!

Off topic, I was deathly DEATHLY ill w/ my little one when pregnant...I lost 25 lbs. (o.k. NO pregnant woman should lose 1 damned pound much less 25!!!) and I couldn't eat for 3 months, NOT one drop passed these lips for 3 months....BUT what was worse I couldn't even get water in me. Yup, had to get IV'S and the whole bit, it was AWFUL. I describe it as the WORST flu nausea times 20 and that is what I had morning/noon/night!!! My brother is a doctor and he said, NOPE don't do it again Carroll!!! Mya (dd name) is a hoot and I love her dearly but she is totally out of her rabbit *** mind so having another one would be out of the question anyway!!!!!

O.K. sorry for the side-note but just wanted to vent AGAIN!!!!
Old 06-05-2005, 05:52 AM   #10  

I nursed for several years with my son, Brian. Now that dairy is allowed on phase 1, you probably could do it safely while nursing but you would really need to make sure you get a healthy selection of vegetables to make up for the nutrition that you will be losing from not eating fruits. You would need to eat enough legumes to make sure you don't go into ketosis. Taco Bake is a good recipe that uses beans.

If your body is not getting enough nutrition then it might affect your milk supply. You also will be more tired in phase 1 as you detox and that can affect your milk supply. There is also a chance that as you increase the amounts of certain foods that your daughter might start refusing your milk since I have heard that the taste can change when you eat certain foods (such as garlic, and cruciferous vegetables like brocolli). I absolutely would not recommend phase 1 for anyone with a very young baby or anyone whose milk supply was not well established. You would also want to make sure you are taking a good multivitamin but you should be while nursing anyway.

The safest thing would be for you to ask your doctor what he thinks. I guess my feeling is that if you truly eat enough on phase 1 and you eat foods with lots of nutrition - see the Best Vegetable post rather than just eating lots of lettuce, then you could probably do it safely but you risk having your daughter self-wean. I know with my son I wanted to do everything possible to make sure we made it to one year. He still ended up with a few bottles of formula near the end since it wasn't always easy to pump enough while I was working. If you do choose to try phase 1, you could also choose to only do it until your cravings disappear and then switch to phase 2 rather than waiting the entire 2 weeks. Good luck on your decision.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:48 AM   #11  
A Lily from my yard!

Carroll...You are too funny! OMG if I had been that sick I probably would have told them take it all out while they were takin the baby! That sounds aweful! Bless your heart!
Old 06-05-2005, 04:48 PM   #12  

Quote:
Carroll...You are too funny! OMG if I had been that sick I probably would have told them take it all out while they were takin the baby! That sounds aweful! Bless your heart!
hee hee, I'm a silly girl!!!

OMG, that is a good idea, too bad I wasn't thinking of that at the time of birth, huh??? Uhhhh, it was just AWFUL!!! So funny also, because people tell me oh honey you'll forget all about how sick you were....WHAT???? I WILL NEVER forget, trust me on that one people!!! That was one of theeee most annoying things people would say right after giving birth...sometimes!!!!
Old 06-05-2005, 07:33 PM   #13  
A Lily from my yard!

Yeah I didn't forget what it was like tryin to push a watermelon through a keyhole and therefore why I don't have a whole mess of chittlin's runnin around! lol DS weighed 9.51/2 and was 22.5 in. long! That's enough to break ya! lol DD was special delivery someone else did all the work I just get to reep the benifits! tee-hee!
Old 06-06-2005, 12:13 AM   #14  

Quote:
Yeah I didn't forget what it was like tryin to push a watermelon through a keyhole and therefore why I don't have a whole mess of chittlin's runnin around! lol DS weighed 9.51/2 and was 22.5 in. long! That's enough to break ya! lol DD was special delivery someone else did all the work I just get to reep the benifits! tee-hee!
YES, he was a big one for sure!!! Well, believe me when I say this, I'd rather push a watermelon through a keyhole than go through pregnancy again. I was only in labor for 4 hours and didn't have time for an epidural, WHAT??? No time, what the he** does that mean??? Anyway, she was almost 9 lbs. and the labor wasn't bad at all, it was the pregnancy that I'll never forget!!!!! Yikers!!!! Hey, I have a high threshold for pain...what can I say??? But the pregnancy....FORGET IT!!!!!

Oh, one gal actually described the labor to me like this: it's like pushing a watermelon wrapped in barbed wired through something the size of a lemon!! I never forgot it and I still chuckle when I think of it!!!! Thank GOD I didn't experience the barb wire deal!!! OMG, giving birth was a pleasure compared to the pregnant part!!! Do you get that I hated every moment of being pregnant????!!!!!!

O.K. there I went AGAIN, off on a rant!!! I can NOT help myself!!! It's been a pleasure "chatting" with you Bamie!!! You are way cool!!!! I think you and I would get along quite well!!!!
Old 06-06-2005, 01:00 PM   #15  
A Lily from my yard!

It's been a pleasure "chatting" with you Bamie!!! You are way cool!!!! I think you and I would get along quite well!!!! [/QUOTE]

Ditto Carroll!
Closed Thread