Old 06-02-2005, 02:35 PM   #1  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Non-food Rewards

Non-food rewards are a great thing. They give you a goal.

Others have mentioned in the "I suck..." thread such non-food rewards as a hair cut or style change, new clothes, etc.

I find, however, that it needs to be something that I wouldn't normally get myself. Books and music are "whim" purchases for me, so they don't do very well for "incentive" things. So what unusual things do you use as non-food rewards when you stay on your plan?

Two of the more elaborate things that I've done in the past:

One year I got a bunch of silver dollars and put them in an ugly box. Each time I did an exercise tape, one dollar went into a pretty crystal candy bowl, where I could see them. When I got $40 in silver dollars in the candy bowl, I treated myself to a show downtown at the National or Warner Theaters. A lot of Broadway touring companies come through Washington, DC, so there's usually something fun to work toward.

I am a tea snob. I have a cupboard full of different teas, and my china cabinet has a bunch of teapots. But I've never been able to justify getting a Yixing teapot. They're small, but elegant, and you brew tea in them completely differently than in a western-style pot. When I was serious about losing last time, I gave myself a 30 lb reward of a teapot. I think of how HARD I worked and how good it felt to succeed every time I use that pot.

Another time, I lost 15 pounds, and convinced Hunter that we could afford hiking boots and a nice walking stick for me. We have some lovely trails around here.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #2  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

well i set myself a goal of buying myself a hand taylored suit when i hit my goal of 210. well in theory its 210 but basically when i got a 6 pack lol. on they way though its things like new xbox games tickets to sports events
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:24 PM   #3  
Losing 1/2 of Myself

S/C/G: 324/195/170

Height: 5'9"

I started my lifestyle change at 312, in January, 2005. I gave myself a reward at 275 to a tanning package (I still have 2 tans left), my next reward is at 240 (in my signature too!) that's gonna be a Hot Stone Massage. I've wanted to get one since I first heard about it, but didn't feel comfortable with haveing to have the poor massuse put rocks between the back rolls! EEEWWWW! After that, at 200 (199) Sam and I are going to the Mall of America for a weekend. I figure I'll be able to fit into most of the clothing stores by then and Minnesota dosen't tax clothing! Then on to my goal weight of 170... a pair of Chocolate brown leather pants... why? because I'll look really good, and I've wanted them since forever and couldn't justify looking like the cow they came from!!!
treefrogtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:32 AM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

manicures
facials at the mall
massage
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Clothes! And MORE clothes! I am getting a summer outfit and shoes when I reach my 15 pound mini goal. I think once I hit my goal weight, I'm gonna get my girls lifted, and possibly "downsized". Hmmm, pain as my goal.. I should rethink that eh?

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:01 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

My problem is that I don't have any money! I would love to have something to look forward to as a reward, but I can't really afford anything. I don't buy new clothes even if I need them half the time because not only do I not have time to shop, but I also don't have the money to spend on them. Things like spa treatments and manicures all sound awesome, but expensive. I also have this problem that if I have any extra $$ at all, I like to spend it on other people (my soon-to-be neice who is 5, my boyfriend, my sister, etc.). I wonder if I actually had some sort of reward planned if I would actually do better...
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:26 AM   #7  
Short and Round

Jill

Not all rewards have to be expensive.. and if you have a goal that is small enough.. yet far enough out.. can you possibly save up for the goal? Meaning 20 lbs will take about two months... and depending on where you go.. (if you like nails) you could get a nice set of falsies for $30. Any chance you could save up $5 a week?

Nails aren't my thing... I would rather save up to go to a Red Wings game if we ever see the NHL again. oooh.. maybe that should be my goal.. to fit comfortably in the seats at the Joe by All Star Break. lol

I will see if I can think up a better reward that is inexpensive for you.
Amanda
ajwings2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
My problem is that I don't have any money! I would love to have something to look forward to as a reward, but I can't really afford anything. I don't buy new clothes even if I need them half the time because not only do I not have time to shop, but I also don't have the money to spend on them. Things like spa treatments and manicures all sound awesome, but expensive. I also have this problem that if I have any extra $$ at all, I like to spend it on other people (my soon-to-be neice who is 5, my boyfriend, my sister, etc.). I wonder if I actually had some sort of reward planned if I would actually do better...
I can relate to the no money too Jill.I always tell myself that I WILL set some aside and use it only on myself when I reach a goal,but something either comes up and I need it,or I just can't seem to spend it on myself.I've been finding some cool little things lately at Kmart that I will get and put away for when I reach a mini goal.Like right now,I have a packet of engergizing foot lotion and some facial and hand masks just waiting for me to get down a few more pounds.When I reach it,I'll take a night when the kids are relaxing(or sleeping already....even better! )and I'll draw a hot bath with some candles lit.Then I'll take the time to pamper myself...and even though I'm the one pampering myself,it still makes me feel good I also do the hot oil treatments for my hair,big candles that I'd normally never buy myself and they aren't alot,body sprays,and anything that I can find for a few bucks.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:24 PM   #9  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

Jilly - I go a dollar store to get things like bubble bath or items for my next planned room redo. Though they are trinkets I enjoy building the total plan, just like I am building a new me. I found jeans on the clearance rack at Walmart for $3, even here in CA !! If your budget can't deal that, and most of us have been there at some point, consider something you would think of as a "permission" for yourself: If I had 3 hours to just pamper myself, I'd __________; the crazy thing I'd really like to do is _________; the thing I miss that I haven't taken the time to do in forever is _____. Or give yourself a silly sleepover (girls' night in) with a friend or sister and do each other's nails, etc.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:26 PM   #10  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

DH is planning a cruise for us at end of year. By then, I should be able to wear a bathing suit without scaring the kiddies! LOL
Interim goal rewards: new clothes, sneakers, and bubblebath!
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:40 PM   #11  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
My problem is that I don't have any money!
Oh, I didn't say I had the money to do those things. But a manicure (your own nails, not the corn-chip nail tips) is only $5 here, $8 if you want them frenched. (don't forget to tip, so $7-$10) Although you are nonstop on the go girl, so I'm not sure when they'd be able to paint them for ya!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:29 PM   #12  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Haha, I have to grow some nails before anyone can paint them! I see some servers in the restaurant with long nails, and I just don't know how they do it! Mine are always breaking and chipping--I just keep them short now. I have also always had a bad habit of picking and peeling my nails (bad Jill!), but Jeff is constantly yelling at me for that, so hopefully that habit will be broken soon.

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions, guys--I LOVE the dollar store! I went there last weekend to buy some generic spices for cooking, actually (oregano, cinnamon, parsley, onion, garlic--the basics that I neve needed before because I didn't live alone ). I always seem to find the coolest things there. I actually found some wall cling things (I would call them stickers, but they are removable) that I bought to put on all my cabinet doors in my kitchen. They are palm trees, and I already had some other palm tree decorations, so this tied everything together Maybe I can consider those as having been my treat for losing my first 10 pounds. Dollar store trips it is (since I don't have time for bubble baths and other pampering--not to mention I'm SO not girly, so I think of that stuff as more work than relaxing ).
The idea of a silly sleepover was good, too--if only I had any close friends here (my high school friends are in CT, my college friends are in PA, my sister is in Va Beach, and here I am about 30 miles outside of DC--if only I would stop moving around! ). Great ideas--thanks guys!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:44 PM   #13  
Crazy Canuck

I don't do the little things - I shoot for the moon!

It always seemed that even when I was short of funds, I could always spare a dollar for a candy bar - which probably helps explain how I got so overweight. So I started off with a shoebox and resolved that every time I craved chocolate, donuts, chips, pizza, etc. I'd go home instead and put the money I would have spent on those things in my shoebox. I started this in June of 2002 when I joined Weight Watchers and over three years I've amassed a tidy little sum! Let's just say I outgrew my shoebox and ended up opening a separate bank account!

Oh sure there's times I could have dipped into that account, but I convinced myself that money would have been eaten up long ago and unavailable, so I just kept adding to it instead of withdrawing (of course there were lapses where I actually DID buy the chocolate bar, but even then I'd toss a buck or two in the box for the 2 additional ones I would have eaten after that first one.)

So, the plan is to withdraw it a year from now, use it to fly to England to visit all the relatives, and also fit in a romantic weekend with G in Paris. Try it - believe me, over the course of three/four years the candy bars and pizzas really add up, much like the weight-loss added up by not eating them in the first place!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I like your idea Jill. I was going to suggest getting one of those piggy banks you can't "break into" and start putting change, a dollar here and there and then when you get to the weight you designated as reward weight, break your bank and see what you have. I would still make a list of things you would like to do/buy and then find one that you have money for.

I've had some rewards in place all along but they obviously aren't motivating me much.
At 250, I started tanning (of course gained a few above that)
225- learn to horseback ride
200--learn to team rope
175--tattoo
150--weekend getaway to an all-inclusive spa (gonna have the family give this to me )
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #15  

Well....I've not done many little rewards, A CD here or there, but not too much.

However, When I reach my final goal weight, I'm going ROCK CLIMBING! I've always been too heavy to try it, and so thats whats my incentive right now.
dakotamidnight is offline   Reply With Quote