South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #1  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Unhappy jealousy rears it's ugly head

I posted this in my journal here on 3FC -- thought if HB found it, it would upset her and I don't want that. But I also thought that others might be feeling the same way (or at least, I hope you are so I am not the only monster out there )

I am officially on Day 5 of South Beach and doing well. But there is something that has been bugging me. I can’t write about it in my online journal because HB may find it and I don’t want to upset her…

She weighs about 135 and has what I deem the perfect body. It’s hard enough being with another woman, but to be with her when she’s trying to GAIN weight when you’re trying to take it off, well, it’s hard.

She’s amazingly supportive of my efforts. Sometimes, she gets absent-minded and doesn’t think that pulling out a tub of Haagen Das sorbet might bother me. I don’t want to be upset with her at all because I have no right to. But at the same time, it does bother me. Only because I am jealous--it’s not even like I like the stuff she eats. It’s just the plain fact that she *can* eat it and I can’t even think about it or else I will gain 10 lbs.

So it’s been rough. I know it’s also rough on her as well. I constantly complain about my body. And although I am doing something about it, and have been for 2 years, it bothers me that *I’m* the one that can’t eat what she wants. I’m the one that has to deprive myself or risk being fat for the rest of my life.

And it’s also distressing to know that I have to eat this way for the rest of my life or face the consequences.......
Old 06-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #2  

Jenn, hugs. I don't really have an answer for you but I know for me, when I get jealous it's usually about something else. Mostly it's about fear. Kind of "don't I deserve to have..." You deserve to be healthy AND have a happy life.

Lydia
Old 06-02-2005, 03:46 PM   #3  

I hate jealousy! I've struggled with it in other areas. Basically, what I've found is that Lydia is right, it does have to do with fear. You just have to figure out what you are afraid of. Of being thinner maybe?
Old 06-02-2005, 03:50 PM   #4  

there is always that fear that now I blame things on my weight: Like why am I not attractive? why doesn't s/he like me? Must be my weight.

So, if that excuse is gone, what else is there aside from it really being me...

Perhaps, who knows?!?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:36 PM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Sending you hugs, Jenn.
Why don't you think of it as a ... not a disease... that's not the right word. I'm being incredibly unclear, here.
Ummm... for instance, my MIL has diabetes, and she just KNOWS she can't have certain things because they'll make her ill.
I take major meds for depression, and I have to limit my alcohol intake because of it.
My DH has high blood pressure, and he watches what he eats because he's concerned about the consequences of eating fatty foods, etc.

Do you know what I mean?
Just look at those foods as being something that "are not for you". And stop looking at food as a drug that gives you a "quick fix".
The jealousy is totally understandable, sweetie. Don't be so hard on yourself, okay?
Old 06-02-2005, 04:49 PM   #6  

Thanks ellis-

I can look at it that way, sure. But it's having the stregth to do it that's sometimes the problem...

(ok, maybe my Day 5 isn't going as well as I once thought it was... )
Old 06-02-2005, 07:50 PM   #7  
Faith in me

"there is always that fear that now I blame things on my weight: Like why am I not attractive? why doesn't s/he like me? Must be my weight."

I SO know what you mean by that....I tend to say that once in a while

do you think guys think the same thing?
Old 06-02-2005, 07:52 PM   #8  

Height: 5'-2"

Probably, Jess.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:50 PM   #9  
A Lily from my yard!

I can totally understand what you mean. My husband eats whatever whenever he wants. He has a huge bowl of icecream almost every night. But Kevin actually acts different towards me depending on my weight. When I was down to 142 he was different and now I'm back up to 150 he said he can't believe I have only gained 8 lbs cause it sure lookes like a whole lot more. He actually told me that he likes me better when I am thinner. Tried to save it by sayin well only because I think you like yourself more! I know you don't seem to have to deal with that part but I can understand the eatin whatever never takin into thought about you or what you can or cannot eat. He buys all kinds of junk food and crap. I thought you liked this or that. HELLO what part of SBD do you not understand. Ok I'm done rantin now! lol Just hang in there that's what I'm tryin to do!
Old 06-03-2005, 07:56 AM   #10  

you hang in there too
Old 06-03-2005, 09:00 AM   #11  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Jenn! Hon, I SO understand what you mean. My DH is incredibly supportive, but like your DF (Jenn...what does HB stand for? The only thing I can think of is 'Hot Babe'... ), he sometimes forgets. And sometimes he asks me if it's okay if he has something in front of me and I feel like it would be rude to say no. He has sacrificed so much to do SBD with me, so how can I say no to a hamburger bun (for him!)?

On the other hand, hon...I do feel differently about the jealousy thing now. I felt very much as you do now until about three years ago. I was really pissed about it! So pissed that I decided " dieting! Why do I have to do it when no one else has to?" and I ate anything and everything I wanted, whenever I wanted, for over three years. I gained about 80 pounds. I was miserable, even though I ate as much as I wanted of everything I wanted. I realized what others thought of my activity, so I often ate alone. I wanted DH to go to bed or go out so I could be alone with my food. Anyone who's done Weigh Down will recognize this behavior...I was actually having an affair with food! It kept me away from DH and it kept me away from friends. It didn't make me feel better...only for the moment, then it was gone, I felt sick, and didn't know what to do, so I ate some more. Eventually, there just wasn't any food that was interesting any more, but I force fed myself my old favorites. It didn't get any better, but I did start to come out of my fog.

I realized that even though people like your DF and my DH can eat a lot of the crap that makes me crazy and binge-ready, in truth, they don't really eat that much. They often make much healthier choices than I would. And they spend lots of time not eating at all. Watch DF closely and I bet you'll see this. For instance, would you or I choose to have Haagen Dazs sorbet when we could have Macadamia Nut Brittle (about 1,000,000 grams of fat, but a personal fave) or something with tons of fat and chocolate? Bet DF didn't eat the whole quart...but if she did (and DH sometimes does), think about the difference in calories and fat to what we would have had. I bet DF doesn't eat this every night. We would. And I bet her daily calories are much less than yours or mine, even on a diet. It does work out to be fair in the end. My DH never gets fries...always asks for coleslaw instead. He'll go an entire day without eating if he's working on a big project. And he doesn't eat to make up for it when he gets home...he just has a small meal and then goes to bed. If it's late enough when he gets home, he goes to bed rather than eating because he's tired. I'd stay up until whenever if it meant eating before bed. You know? There is a difference, but if your DF and my DH ate the way you and I would like to, they would be fat too. It might take them a little longer, but it really would be the same.

BTW, Meg (one of our fabulous maintainers) mentioned a study that she saw presented a while back. Basically this scientist did a study where people (thousands...I think it was five or ten thousand people) lived in a lab for two years. He controlled everything they ate in the sense that they did not have any access to extra food. He found that no matter their size, no matter what they thought their metabolism was, when what they ate was actually controlled, they lost weight. He found that it truly was a case of "calories in/calories out" to lose weight for EVERYONE. In some ways that's discouraging, but in most ways, I find it to be a huge relief. It means that it really is a level playing field. I was pretty pissed for a long time because I felt like it wasn't a level field...some people got great metabolisms and some got bad ones and woe to those in the second group. But this study shows that's not true. Some people eat less than others. Not everyone eats healthy...we all know skinny people who have terrible diets...but according to this study, fat is a direct result of eating too much. Period.

I'm so sorry this is so long winded...but as you can tell, I feel passionately about it. Discovering that I'm not a freak cursed with a bad metabolism but a human being who has developed bad habits with food really gave me so much freedom and released all the bitterness and anger I had. Especially since I now know (and you do, too) that we can change those bad habits to good, healthy ones. If your reactions to sugars aren't as bad as mine, who knows? One day you might be eating sorbet with DF...put your spoon down and let her finish it because you just don't want any more.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:10 AM   #12  

Laurie, interesting about the study. I've always know that calories matter. Somehow they just kept finding a way into my system
Lydia
Old 06-03-2005, 09:44 AM   #13  
We are all Beautiful!!!

Jenn,

I feel the same way about my mom. She is tall 5' 8" and not super skinny but never fat. I'm 5' 4 and have always been (or at least felt) overweight. My DM diets from January 1 to the end of March when we go on vacation for spring break. She loses 18 - 20 pounds and almost all of her body fat and she is done for the rest of the year. Then she eats sugar and carbs and yes Dove bars right in front of me every night. She always says "well you definitely have your Grandma ________'s body because it didn't come from my side of the family. Oh and my personal favorite statement is "I can't lose too much weight because I'm not buying a whole new wardrobe." Bite me skinny lady. Or "You know if you would get down to your ideal weight you could have your pick of any single man out there."

I think Ellis is correct in dealing with this as not necessarily a disease but something like it. It has taken me 40 years to figure out that I will never look like my mother no matter how hard I try. I've even learned her passive aggressive sabatoge tricks. The latest? Two for one chocolate chip cookies from the bakery. We now have a freezer full of them. One of my biggest weaknesses is cookies. I used to love to have a cookie or two and coffee every morning. But I'll be dam**d if I'm going to eat one.

My DSIL had pancreatitis so bad she almost died. Funny thing is she doesn't even drink! However, anyone who works in a hospital knows there are always treats brought in. She's worked in one for 20 years. She just says - I'm diabetic - I can't have any of those and people leave her alone. She has an insulin problem but is not diabetic. However it is just easier to say she's diabetic than try to explain everything to everyone.

When I go to starbucks - I bring my own low carb milk. If anyone gives me a hassle I just say - I'm lactose intolerant and they don't have a problem using my milk. Most of them don't know what lactose is.

My point is - we are all different. We need to learn to love who we are on the inside and accept who we are on the outside. From there if you want to make changes to your personal appearance do it for you! Because it makes you happy - not because anyone else would or wouldn't be happy. My answer to DM when she says "if you could get to your ideal weight.....etc" I say I don't want a man who just wants me beacause of how I look - I want a man who loves me for who I am regardless.

Good luck and hugs!
Old 06-03-2005, 09:54 AM   #14  

Laurie-

HB is Honey Bunny. LOL What is DF??

She does skip meals as, unlike me, she doesn't think about food 24/7. So I understand that. But, when she does eat, she eats crap. Take the other day. At work she got a egg, sausage and cheese on a bagel for breakfast, had an Indian chicken wrap thing with mango sauce on it for lunch, dinner ate with me and had 2 Hostess cupcakes, a whole pint of the Haagen Das Sorbet and Chex Mix as well.

She went down a pound.

It's just frustrating is all. I know that I have to do this for me. Being healthy and weighing less is important to me. More important than eating whatever I want (and ballooning back up!).

She walks a bit more than me since I drive into work. So, tomorrow, much to her shagrin I am sure, I think I am going to hit the gym.

I don't show a loss when I start going. Laurie, I don't eat any more and I even drink more water. It's muscle. That was when I weighed in every week though (as opposed to what I am doing now -- every day!). So maybe it will be beneficial for me not to weigh in until Sunday, then each Sunday in June.

If I can control myself.

Thanks for all the support girls!
Old 06-03-2005, 09:56 AM   #15  

Thanks for sharing too Amy
Closed Thread