South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 11:50 PM   #1  

Exclamation Emotional Eating SOS

I'm really trying not to cave in to my old bad habits. I'm an emotional eater, and this week has already been quite a week. A friend of ours is in the hospital and the outlook isn't good at all. I also started my period today. (and that's when those cravings really sneak up on me!) I'm only on my second week of phase 1, by the way.

I can feel those old habits of looking to food for comfort sneaking up on me. I found myself just standing in the kitchen, staring into the cabinets! I haven't gone off the program, and don't plan on it. But what I have done is have that extra sugar free fudgesicle, and extra almonds today. I just want that to be IT. I'm not hungry, and I know myself all to well, that when I'm struggling with something emotionally, I'm likely to turn to food. And I don't want that to happen now...not when it's so important that I make this change for good!

Any support or suggestions y'all can give would be appreciated so much!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:33 AM   #2  

Wow , Kellybelly, You could be my sister... I'm starting my 2nd week and am an emotional eater too. While this is a stressful time for you ..THINK before you reach for that Hoho.. ( Is eating this gonna help my problem? or is it part of my problem? Is it gonna help the other person in the hospital?) If you need to have an emotional release - reach for celery.. That crunch and crackle sound alone helps with anger -or cheese to sooth...or WALK ..WALK... walk .
Staring at the shelves and wondering what can I eat to make the pain go away is not the answer-you know that. As soon as you eat it, you're soothed for that one moment , and then the pain you feel is that much more cuz you cheated, you beat yourself up , and hmm , while you ate that Hoho , and then mentally whip yourself for doing it, ...Notice that that beating also serves another purpose in that you are emotionally unavailable to help or grieve for your friend... You already know you are an emotional eater.. and that self awareness is poweful.. if you must eat..YOU CHOOSE.. dont eat mindlessly..
Hugs
Old 06-02-2005, 10:11 AM   #3  

I'm with you guys. I am sooo an emotional eater. Any time I'm avoiding doing something, I stop for a snack. It's hard, but I'm starting to turn that around. I've had to re-train myself. When I'm in one of those stressed out moods and I'm in the kitchen, not hungry, but searching the cabinets, I say to myself, "Am I hungry."

I once read in a magazine about a lady in a similar place of emotional eating, and she put stickies on her fridge and cabinets that said, "The answer is not here", and another one on the tub that said, "The answer is here". Kinda a take time for yourself and work out what is going on in your head, maybe in the tub, instead of reaching into the cubbords or fridge. So, that thought often times runs through my head when I'm in that place.

My big jetted tub and hot green tea have become very close friends. They're the new comforts in place of the excessive food (chocolate).
Old 06-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #4  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I think many of us are emotional eaters. I have been for almost 28 years !!!

But what I have started doing is emotional (non-alcoholic) drinking! When I want to eat, I reach for a glass of V-8, of Crystal Lite, or of water. Coffee with some SF Kalua syrup (which I am having now), usually tides the cravings too.

I know you/I won't always think to do it, but try drinking something first. Usually, it fills me right up. If not, overeat on celery, not nuts. Grab a small salad with some vinegar on it -- that usually does the trick too.

If you need to eat, we need to make the right choices...
Old 06-02-2005, 10:36 AM   #5  
Unzipping my new self!

Height: 5' 5"

I am also on my 2nd week of phase 1 and consider myself an emotional eater too. I am surprised how strong my will power is this time around....the "stickies" on the fridge sound like a great idea. I will have to try that.

Just know that you are not alone ~ think back as to "why" you started the South Beach eating plan in the first place.....for me...I was a grouch, always in a bad mood, didn't sleep well at night, wanted to be a better spouse to my dear hubby and a better mom to my son! That usually helps me get over the hump when I reach for a candy bar ~ or head to the coke machine here at work.

Good Luck sweetie!

Tracy
Old 06-02-2005, 11:30 AM   #6  

Wow, it sounds like we're all in the same boat!

I do think it's very important that we figure out why we emotionally eat and make a plan not to, in order to stop the cycle. If we never examine why we emotionally eat/choose to eat instead of working through our problems, we will always be fat.

This is definitely my biggest struggle. But, together we WILL beat it!
Old 06-02-2005, 01:05 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Kelly, I know the feeling! Writing that post was the beginning of lots of healthy ways you can learn to cope other than eating. Good going!

Try taking a walk, writing in a journal (the ones here at 3FC are great...and others can read them and support you there too!), taking a bubble bath, talking on the phone or here to a friend to let them know how you feel about what's going on, yelling or screaming (primal scream therapy...good stuff! ), vigorous exercise, escapism through reading a book, watching TV or a movie, or hanging out with a pet. There are lots of things you can do. Just be aware of yourself and keep working on it. After a year of this, I'm starting to learn to not go to food. I'm trying to figure out what my substitute will be. With a super-busy schedule, most of the things above aren't an option. But I do post here, talk to friends, and sometimes fit in a short walk. I journaled over the summer, and that definitely helped.

You can do this girl. Just remind yourself that eating extra doesn't help at all and find something that does.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:37 PM   #8  

Talking

Ladies,
You have been SO helpful! Thank you so much for the support and the words of wisdom! Today has been much better so far...I stayed longer at the gym today after Pilates to do a little cardio, I called a friend on the phone, I found some extra things to do so I wouldn't reach for the food.

Last week I had no problem at all, but this week has been challenging, due to the outside situations. But those will happen, and I need to be prepared! I feel even more prepared with y'all's great advice!

*hugs*
Closed Thread