Old 06-01-2005, 07:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Anyone else have/had 200 lbs or more to lose?

I can't wait to "only" have 100 lbs to lose. This is my last ditch effort before pursuing weight loss surgery. I've been trying to give up white flour and sugar almost entirely (it's hard when they're in almost everything). I've noticed that I'm not as prone to uncontrolled binges on a moderately low carb (whole grains whenever possible) diet, and my pain and fatigue from my fibromyalgia are much reduced. You would think it would be easier to stick to a diet that makes me feel this much better, but old habits are difficult to control. Yet if I had a deadly nut allergy, you would bet I would be able to give up peanuts rather than eat that pbj and have to be rushed to the hospital. It seems just as illogical for me to eat dessert two days in a row, knowing I will feel really sick the third day, but I've done it. Back on track now, but this is ridiculous.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:49 PM   #2  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

My hubby, Howie6267 here, has lost 202 so far. His original goal is to lose 245lbs and then take it from there.

Instead of giving up flour, you're doing well to switch to whole wheat products. Carbs are not bad in and of themselves, for our bodies need them. The thing is to eat the right kind (unprocessed ones) as much as possible, like whole grain pasta, brown rice, bread, veggies, potatoes.

I bet Howie'll be along here before too long. He and I sometimes wish we were allergic to pizza. I hear ya!

Last edited by Gardenwife; 06-01-2005 at 07:52 PM.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:02 PM   #3  
Losing 1/2 of Myself

S/C/G: 324/195/170

Height: 5'9"

I have 142 to lose to be at the high end of my ideal height/weight range. I've lost 57 pounds so far, since Jan of this year. It's no joke when you hear 'lifestyle change', rather than diet. You really need to change your thinking long term. There are many inspirational people on here and we're here to help! Good luck on your journey!!!
treefrogtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

I have more than 200lbs to lose. It's hard to be happy about the 16lbs I've already lost when I have so far to go.

I have also cut back refined carbs and sugars. I have not entirely eliminated sugars, but I am trying to stick to natural sugars like what is in fruit and veggies. I also go for whole grain type products. The less refinement the better.

It really is a lifestyle change. My main goal is to be healthy, and fortunately the desire to lose weight coincides with that goal.

PS. even though it will be a small victory, I will be glad when I have "only" 200lbs to lose.
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:18 PM   #5  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

It is hard when you are looking at the big picture. I broke mine into 10% segments and tried losing 10% at a time. It worked a lot better that way and the pounds added up really quick. Just keep at it you can do this. Before you know it you will be at a 200 lb loss.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:28 PM   #6  

It's good to hear from those in the same boat. I started at 393 and am at 368 now. I've been on the super low carb diets, and they're insane, and I don't buy the premise. Come on, no one ever got fat on carrots. I eat any fruit or vegetable I want, try to keep protein in normal portion amounts. If I get hungry between meals, I try to eat fruit, veggies, yogurt. If I get a "hunger" headache, I make sure there's at least a little carb in the snack, but otherwise eat no more than one serving of carb per meal (starchy veggie or grain - preferably whole grain).

So far it's been working really great for me. now I just need to start making sure I get more than one day of exercise in per week.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:57 PM   #7  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Yeh the exercise is a hard one to get going. I still strugle with doing that. Sounds like you have good plan in place and are doing great. Keep up the good work.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:00 PM   #8  

I am off to a good start, I think. Keeping it going is going to be the trick!
Old 06-01-2005, 11:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Not here, but I wanted to pop in and wish you good luck on your weight loss journey! Tell us some more about yourself
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:41 PM   #10  

Smile Good Luck to You!

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I am wishing you good luck with your journey. These boards are a great place to help us put our "problems" into perspective. At 300 pounds, I am the heaviest peson at my place of employment, the heaviest person in my family and usually the heaviest person around wherever I am. It is good for me to see posts from people who have more weight to lose than me who are handling their own sitations with grace and dignity. I usually handle mine with a lot of whining and complaining. There isn't a doubt in my mind that I could weigh 400 pounds or more, it just hasn't happened to me yet. (I remember the good old days when I would think to myself "I'll never go over 200 pounds!") I am, for once, trying to set a modest, attainable goal for myself...4 ounces. I want to lose 4 ounces today. 365 days of losing 4 ounces a day is about 90 pounds. I can live with that. Pam
ArmyGirl1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:29 AM   #11  
Jo
Catatonic

Default Me too!

I started out at over 350, got down to about 215, now I'm back up to 284 I'm starting over again . . . seems like this has been a pattern my whole life. I have seriously considered weight loss surgery because a) I've never been able to get down to a normal weight and b) I've never been able to maintain a loss for any amount of time. My brother is getting married next June and I'm going to be one of the bridesmaids. I would really, *really*, like to be under 200 by then. Anyway, I can totally relate to your struggle.
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:58 AM   #12  

I hit my all time high of 340 last June. I was down to around 300 when I got pregnant and still hanging at around 305-310. Hopefully once this baby gets evicted I can continue to lose and get down into Twoterville again But in answer to your question I don't have 200 to lose but at least 170 to get to a desirable weight. Good luck and stop in often.
Inca's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:46 PM   #13  

Hi, Kaplods!

I started out at 374 and have managed my way down to 276 (as of this morning). Two more pounds and I've knocked off the first hundred. I've done Optifast before (3 times) and always gained the weight back. Now I'm working out ~5 times a week (alternating upper and lower body for 8-10 exercises), walking 3-5 miles a day, and going low carb. I plan to shift the diet soon -- go from Atkins, transition with South Beach, then go back to low fat/balanced diet (still probably a little heavy on protein because I want to rebuild the muscle I lost from Opti). I've been working on this for a little over two years so it hasn't been an amazing weight loss story but I'm more confident that this is the last time I'll be doing this.

So I still have ~136 lbs to go. At the end of the journey, I hope to have lost 234 lbs. This is doable.

Last edited by Keillynsmom; 06-03-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 02:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

At my Weight Watchers meeting where I used to live, there was a woman who had lost 254 lbs. the last time I saw her, and she had about 80 more to go. Losing all that weight changed her life significantly. Even just the "little" things like being able to walk a few feet without oxygen was a major triumph. She had numerous health problems, obviously, and after losing so much weight, she started college and was on her way to a career in the medical field. She was quite an inspiration to everyone.

You CAN do it!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Hi and welcome. When I started out I had about 145 to lose. Still have over 100 to go. I too had to start breaking it down from the big picture over well over 100 pounds to lose to concentrating on even 1-2 pounds at a time.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote