Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-01-2005, 04:11 PM   #1  

Default how long do plateaus in weight loss last?

Hi.....I am very upset. I am 11 months today, had a drs. appt and I have only lost 22 lbs since Feb. Am I on a plateau? Is that even the right word for it? How do I get out of it? All I did was cry on the way home, even though the dr was pleased, I am not. I know I have lost alot since I started, but I still have such a long way to go that this is very discouraging. I am exercising, I am still weighing out my food, what else can I do? I have an appt. with my surgeon at the end of this month (my appt today was with the cardio doc). The only thing good that happened was that I was able to be weighed today on a regular scale! But even that isn't helping me get over the fact that I have only lost 22 lbs since Feb. I feel like a failure. Sorry if this is a downer, but I really have no one to talk to about this. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

I joined weight watchers last August.I have lost 20 pounds and that is all.I haven't lost anything since Jan.It is frustrating to be stuck,next week weigh in will be better.I have to believe that or I will fail.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:02 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

misty... there's a lot that could be happening... after a certain point - and that's different for everyone - it becomes real work. take a hard look at what you're eating and when. at 11 months, you should be pretty much at 3 meals plus one snack.

as for the exercise, the sad fact is that our bodies get used to a routine. it might be time to consult with a trainer. have you been weight training? building muscle this way helps you lose weight. as meg always says, a pound of muscle burns 42 calories - in a reduced obese body - and fat burns exactly 0.

and, some of us join WW after awhile, with quite good results. but frankly, take a good look at the details of what you're doing, and let's see if we can shake things up a bit.

please don't be hard on yourself. what's happening to you is something we all go through. the real test - the real hard work - starts now, with keeping the weight loss going as far as possible and on maintaining whatever we've lost.

congratulations on all your success. you've really done wonderfully, and i'm real proud of you.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/210/175

I agree with jiffypop - don't be hard on yourself. I started out at 315, and when I got to 185 last year, it lasted from about June til February of this year. Then I kinda became frustrated like you guys and I started binge eating. As of yesterday, I was at 197 and it sucks feeling like you have to backtrack. Just stick with your plan and you'll do it

Last edited by LesnarsTXF5Diva; 06-01-2005 at 11:38 PM.
LesnarsTXF5Diva is offline   Reply With Quote