Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-30-2005, 09:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145/132/115

Height: 5'2.5

Default Hunger control

I need help but am also asking a question. Several times a week I over eat simply because I am hungry. It's not emotional stress, boredom, tired, nothing like that, I just feel hungry, and lately I can't really control it, I let myself eat. I've noticed the biggest binges usually reach 2500, which isn't an insane amount but nevertheless under these circumstances i will never lose weight. It is not like I starve during the day, I eat pretty regularly and like today I already had 1400 calories and some days up to 1600 or so and still feel that intense hunger where I have to eat later on in the evening.

So I guess my question is, how do you control hunger when you really feel you need to eat? I have tried salads and fruits first, but when I am hungry that doesn't cut it, I will have bread, cheese, cereal and so on.

This is stressful. How do you handle hunger?
cyndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I have a glass or two of water, or if that just doesnt cut it then I may have a bowl of soup, something like tomato or pumpkin...not to calorie heavy but much more substantial than just a glass of water. Apparently hunger can actually sometimes just be that you are thirsty. Having the soup solves both problems for me. My brain is happy because its "eating" and my body is happy because its getting liquid. That way both halves are getting the fix they needed/wanted.

Other than that I just do the usual piece of fruit or salad or even beans can be good, or perhaps a good fresh wholegrain bread roll.

Livi
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:32 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Without knowing your weight and exercise regime, I can't even guess as to whether you may be eating "enough". Perhaps you're getting hungry because you're not getting enough calories those other days.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:59 PM   #4  
1 carton a week!

I have this problem often ... so what I do is make tea because things that are warm usually fill me up and I have that with a bag of 98% fat free popcorn (only 110 cals per bag!) so that usually does the trick ... you have to drown yourself with liquids though ... and for me i know cereal is dangerous because I LOVE cereal and when Im hungry and on a binge I can have up to 4 bowls!!! so I tend to stay away of the foods that I know will just egg me on for more ... good luck and I hope you can find something that works
icecreamjunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:49 AM   #5  

I'm following a low GI plan, and that tends to curb my hunger. Not all calories are equal. If I eat 1400 calories of lowish GI foods I am fine (good carbohydrates, fruit, veggies), 1400 calories of medium to high (white bread, cereals, potatoes), and I am starving!!!

Like Lyria, I turn to soup if I am really hungry. That tends to do it for me. But if I am feeling "hunger" I know for me, that it's usually something else, like stress, boredom, or sadness, and I am so used to using food to medicate myself the hunger feelings are masking my true ones.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:02 AM   #6  

I am also taking a low GI approach, combined with the WW core/no count plan, and that has really helped me to identify foods which make me even more hungry - bread, cereals, potatoes. So I largely avoid these foods. Actually, I never get hungry taking this approach - which doesn't mean I don't suffer from the old emotional eating cravings......although these are also a lot less frequent now....
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:46 AM   #7  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Make sure you are drinking enough water (at least 8 cups per day). I found that the more water I drink, the less hungry I am the rest of the time! Also, like icecreamjunkee said, a nice hot cup of tea does the trick for me a lot of the time.

If you are getting really hungry, my guess is either you aren't drinking enough water or you aren't eating enough during the day. The same number of calories doesn't work for everyone -- maybe you need to be eating 1800/day instead.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndy
I have tried salads and fruits first, but when I am hungry that doesn't cut it, I will have bread, cheese, cereal and so on.
I have found that simple carbohydrates alone make me even hungrier-so if you are eating a slice of bread, or regular cereal-they digest really quickly and you are starving again soon afterwards.
I recommend the following strategies:

~eat a lot of food that is low calorie for the size of it-like fruit and vegetables (I can really mow down and eat 4 cups of watermelon for only 200 calories...and I feel full aftwards because of its high water content.)

~Eat comlex carbs instead of simple carbs-make sure your bread is whole wheat/whole grain (the key word is WHOLE) and that you are eating whole grain cereal (bran flakes, Kashi, shredded wheat, etc.) and not "simple carb cereals" like Special K. Even though Special K is light on calories...it is also light on "fillingness".

~When you are starving in the evening-go for snacks that contain a little protein and/or a little fat for more satisfaction-snacks with protein/fat digest slower than all carb snacks like a slice of bread. Planters has single serving size packets of almonds (in a box of individual serving packets-great for portion control), or have a cup of yogurt, a cut up apple or celery sticks with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter, etc.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:17 AM   #9  

Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you greatly for taking the time to respond so thoroughly. I really appreciate it! Seeing how all of you tackle the hunger monster is enlightening, and I am currently printing out the responses to keep in my binder for easy access when I need ideas.

Lyria - as always, your reply is detailed and right on. Liquids, or liquids with 'flavour' like soup, makes sense. My problem is I don't have that around, but my idea now is to pick up cans of soup broth like Campbell's chicken broth and heat that up for something a little different than water, tea etc.

almostheaven - I am 138 lbs and my exercise regime is not intense at the moment. I probably exercise 4 days a week and that would be about 30-40 mins on treadmill, and I am trying to get into some weight training. I never go below 1200 calories, in fact more like I don't go below 1400!! I need to work on it lol.

icecreamjunkee - You are very right about cereal bringing on a binge, and I could easily eat 4 bowls of it. You mentioned liquids are a big help, and I know you are right there because when I drink 2 glasses of water, I immediately cant eat anymore and I have to remember that before eating the food, especially simple carbohydrates.

kykaree - This low GI plan sounds like common sense from a weight loss stand point - so you are saying to fill up on veggies, fruits, beans and other whole, unprocessed foods? Hey, sounds good to me! When you eat those foods they certainly fill you up faster for way less calories. I think I need to make sure to have that stuff on hand at all times.

artist - Another low GI follower. Staying away from things like cereal, breads and other simple carbs seems to be a big one. I am starting to get this....

paperclippy - water, water, water! Thanks for the reminder. I know I do not drink enough of it. You mentioned perhaps I should be eating 1800 calories a day. Well last week I ate on average 1800 cals/day and I lost 3 lbs...it was totally weird...but at my weight I guess I can get away with eating that much and should take advantage of it.

aphil - Last but not least, Aphil, your strategies make SO much sense. All of them. Thank you, I will be putting them to use. It is like the three things I should remember when reallly wanting to eat at night: "low calorie, complex carbs, some protein." Awesome!

I see a lot of overlapping in the posts which tells me what you all are doing is the way to go because you are all successful at it. Thanks again, it helped immensely.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:28 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

Another thing that may help...

Protien helps trigger that "full" feeling so you may want to make sure you're getting a little in every meal. I have eaten HUGE amounts of fruits and veggies and still felt hungry afterwards. However if I get a little protien, I don't feel hungry. Make a veggie dip from FF or LF Cottage Cheese. Make a fruit and cottage cheese shake. Put some FF cream cheese on a celery stick. Roll a few LF turkey slices around some veggies. This will help a lot. Here are some recipes.

http://www.stumptuous.com/cottage.html

Last edited by Solus; 05-31-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:04 PM   #11  

Height: 5'1"

So much good advice! There are some really savy people here! One extra thing that might help, try to eat about every 3 hours, and try to include something with protein. It will help you keep from getting so hungry and over eating!
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 01:06 PM   #12  

Height: 5'1"

This is a p.s. It takes the brain 1/2 hour to signal that you're "full" so when you get the urge to eat, eat a little something and wait 1/2 hour and if you are still starving eat a little more. Give your brain a chance to send the right signals!
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:18 PM   #13  
Tish Ann

Another easy fix is Lipton Cup o' Soup packets. They are 1 to 2 points each and they will fill you up just enough to make it to the next meal. I have used them many times and they have some good flavors. Keep trying different ideas to see what will work for your body, ggod luck!
Tish Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #14  

Solus - great website, I already used a couple ideas with the cottage cheese!

the slim me and Tish Ann - thanks for the ideas! I will try