South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 04:34 PM   #1  

Default Where do I buy TAHINI?

I found some hummus I LOVE (Spicy Three pepper) YUMMMMMMMM....Today I found a recipe online for this but it calls for Tahini? Where can I buy this at? Does Walmart possibly carry it? If so, where would it be at in the store?

Thanks
Debbie
Old 05-26-2005, 04:40 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Debbie, tahini is a paste made from sesame seeds. I found some in my grocery store...I think it may have been in the health food section, though. Unless you have a large ethnic population in your area that uses tahini regularly, you are unlikely to find it at Wal*Mart. Try ethnic markets in your area, health food stores, or call around to see who might have it.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:36 PM   #3  
No Day But Today

S/C/G: 275/267/175

Height: 5'5"

Found it at my regular grocery store with the Peanut Butter (toward the bottom, near Almond butter etc.)

Hummus has Tahini in it? I found some roasted red pepper Hummus at Costco and LOVE IT!!!!!

Share the recipe!
Old 05-27-2005, 12:18 AM   #4  
5yrs later/70 lbs thinner

How much tahini are you looking to use? If it's only a little bit you could probably sub peanut oil. Tahini is really nothing more than ground sesame seeds. If you buy them in bulk you could toss them in a coffee grinder.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I had always heard you can substitute peanut butter for tahini. Because it has about the same consistancy. But in hummus, I don't know if it would work Most of my recipes that call for tahini only needs about 1 tablespoon and each recipes mentions that you can substitute peanut butter. Doesn't hummus need about 1/4 cup or more depending on the recipe?

Honey-Texas, Have you tried substituting peanut oil when it calls for tahini in a recipe? I'm curious to see if it worked.

Sarah
Old 05-27-2005, 09:15 AM   #6  
Michael Ann 1973

STOP STOP STOP...Drop the Peanut oil and Peanut butter!

It will make your hummus taste weird. I tried it once and was very disappointed.

I found tahini in my Kroger, but prior to that I ordered some on line for about 4.99. Do a search and you will find it online if you can't find it at the store. Sometimes in the store they put it with the Jewish foods.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Sometimes grocery stores have an ethnic section where they stock basic cooking ingredients from other cultures.

You may need to check the phone book for a asian market somewhere.

I didn't think that peanut butter would work in hummus. I think it would be too sweet or too peanutty. Like I said, usually my recipes will say if you can substitute.

I can never get mine to taste like the store bought kind. Mine tastes too beany/lemony and it's too course. I can't get the creamy texture. The flavors don't meld well.

Sarah
Old 05-27-2005, 01:52 PM   #8  
i luv my dog!

Blessed, I make my hummus without tahini and (to me) it tastes great. It uses sesame oil and yogurt as a substitution.

You could probably experiment a little to get your spicey pepper flavor. Here is the link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...70799#poststop
Closed Thread