Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 06:10 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #52

G'day all,

Karen Have you always been this crafty? I cannot remember you talking about it before. Sounds like you keeping yourself busy. Sprout sounds a bit like one of the dogs I used to have (some would call pappilions rats ) If I took her for a walk which was a bit too much for her, she would just sit and not move any further

Not much going on here, the weather is finally getting a little cooler but I am still sitting here with a T shirt on but do not have the airconditioner going.
I am desperately trying to get some order in the many images I have stored, over 10 000 I don't like to delete any, I am bound to need the one I delete but to try and remember what is where is almost impossible.

I am looking forward to our friends arriving here on Saturday.

Have a great day all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-25-2005, 03:09 PM   #2  

Maria thank you for starting a new thread. I had to go back and look see what Karen is doing. What I know about Jakarta is from the movie Romancing the Stone-I think. Which is basically nothing. That does sound like a long time to be there. Too bad they don't want to send you to Canada and the States. Then it would be a business trip. Suggest it.

Karen you are a busy bee with the painting. It sounds like you are branching out from the one stroke. Wish you lived close cause I have tons of paint and a gazillion painting books you could use.

My learning experience today was going to Sam's and figuring out how to use the digital picture machine. I couldn't figure out how to get the little thingy in. After I got help it was easy. Now I have scanned a few pictures to the computer and have to figure out how to email them. I hate to be so dumb sometimes.

It is so chilly here. I can't believe that it is almost June.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:22 PM   #3  

I have always enjoyed doing crafty things but never really had the time before. Now I have lots of time and need to fill it with something so I can see where the time goes. Does that make sense? Peggy I would love to be able to see all your books. But the lady who runs the crafts here in the park has tons and more . Her husband is into wood working and does the most beautiful things. Wish I knew what to call it but it is beautiful. He also is making the boards that I am going to paint for the GS's . Today I finished putting the varnish on the box I painted for my Mom . It has different shades lavender violets on it . I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Maria 10000 pictures??? I would not know where to begin to get them in order. Good luck!

It has been a long day so I am going to go watch Ken Jennings on Jeopardy.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:41 PM   #4  

G'day all,

On yet another sunny day here in Sydney. The drought is really effecting our farmers badly. Of course in due course it will effect us as well when their produce, the little they can grow, will increases in price.
There was an article in the paper telling us how much water is used to make for instance orange juice as in washing the oranges, the machines etc. etc. It was quite incredible.

Peggy we certainly always keep an ear out for what is going on in the states and canada. Lucent just recently won a very large contract in Canada and my dh did put his name forward but alas he is in reserve It is much more economical for the company to employ local people then having to pay accommodation etc. for people like us.
It doesn't stop us from trying though!
If you need any help emailing your pictures email me and I will help if I can.
It is like it is with everything, very easy once you know.

I know Karen it is absolutely ridiculous to have so many images and it sure is difficult to get some order.
I think I may have to do some culling!
Any crafty things are always very satisfying to do. Wished I liked excercise as much

I spent the day yesterday doing a website for my grand daughter. I told my d-i-l that if she doesn't like it, I will pull it off the net again.
Before I might get those instructions you may like to have a quick look...

http://www.users.bigpond.com/amscholz/

I rather like it but not sure if my d-i-l will, they do have quite different taste.
I had fun making it and I really wanted to experiment with the display of photos.

Have a good day all,
Cheers
Maria
Old 05-26-2005, 12:36 AM   #5  
Super Surfer

Default Hi everyone..

We got home yesterday. I turned on my computer and thought I would up-date my Norton before doing anything else. After 3 updates, I had to re-boot and then my pc froze... big time. I couldn't shut down or do anything. My SIL tried to help me over the phone, but it was useless so I took it over to their place this evening. He had to un-install Norton and the re-install. It seems to be okay now. We have no idea what happened. Ann you were saying you had a problem with Norton too. Hummmm.
We had a very nice time on our little jaunt. It is always nice to come home to our comfy mattress though. We take our own pillows, too bad we can't do the same with the mattress. I had quite a sore back.
Maria Your sweet Mattie is so beautiful. Loved her pictures, and you do look good with her. I tried her web site, but the pictures were so tiny and I don't think they were a full shot. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Our new grand-baby will be born end of Dec .... very close to the birthday. Everything is going to happen at once.
Slavika My DH and I are absolute opposites too. We never see anything the same way. Of course, I am the optimist. You are right about "curve balls". A couple from my Church had a sad story. She had complete kidney failure, went on dialysis, had a kidney transplant that rejected, and she went back on dialysis. Her husband was her rock. One day he went fishing alone at their cottage. She stayed home. No one knows what happened out on the lake, but people did hear someone calling for help. His body washed up on the beach in the morning. She lived on without him for 3 more years and then she just gave up. It was so sad. We never know what is going to happen to us from one day to the next.

Well, it is late and I have to get up early tomorrow. I am having a root canal tomorrow.... and The tooth is sore so I know it is necessary. If I survive... I will see you tomorrow... bye bye
Old 05-26-2005, 09:03 AM   #6  

Maria I went to see the new web site for mattie but just like Trudy The pictures were too small to see???

Trudy glad you had a good time on your little vacation. Hope the root canal goes ok. Not really musch fun tho is it?

Got my supper inthe crock pot and am headed out for the vegetable market and to Publix to get some Turkey Cutlets. I'm trying a new recipe tomorrrow. Been using the Turnaround Cook Book from Weight Watchers several of the recipes are delish!

Have to run I'll check back later.

Karen
Old 05-26-2005, 12:34 PM   #7  
Fun Blonde

Let me add my 2 cents to the discussion about pessimistic men. This is the way we operate too. My DH gets so stressed about details that I am always kidding him about his ...hole disappearing. Hope that doesn't offend anybody. I am way too optimistic at times and just flat-out do not want to worry about details. Guess that is why he worries--because I do not.

Karen, sounds like you are having a good retirement, learning new crafty ideas. That sounds wonderful to me and so does the description of your mom's box. How big is it? Sprout adds a lot to your life, doesn't he? Aren't you glad you got him?

Maria, I will look at the website as soon as I get off here. I hope I can see the Princesses' pictures. Wouldn't that be wonderful if you could come to the states on business? We could have so much fun, getting together.

Trudy, just had a vision of you with your luggage, pillow and mattress, going on your trip. That might be a bit much, but I think there are several of us who would understand. Funny, isn't it, how much we get used to "our" things? I worried that you would not feel well on your jaunt so I am glad you made it fine. A root canal? Yuck!

Peggy, you have just pinpointed one of my biggest weaknesses. We do not have a computer at home so anything that goes wrong at work is taken care of by experts. I do not have a digital camera and cannot do any of that neat stuff. When I retire, I will have to learn all that stuff. That is when we will computerize. So I think you are great to know what you do.

I had one of those days on Tuesday. We went to a district school assembly of teachers where our son is a principal in one of the high schools. He (as a surprise) was getting an award, Rookie Administrator of the Year. He showed us his school and we met his boss and several of the teachers he deals with. They all were so complimentary of him and kept saying he was a "good hire." So proud of him! When your child "done good" is one of the most gratifying things we can have. Right? Then he just emailed me a "thank you" for being his mom. Wow!

Hoping you are all having a good day.
Glenda
Old 05-26-2005, 12:37 PM   #8  
Fun Blonde

Maria, I liked the webpage. It was darling, but I got no photos at all. Were there some there?
Glenda
Old 05-26-2005, 02:24 PM   #9  

Maria I got the main page. I clicked on the little bear and just got some little tiny pictures. One looks like the top of a rocking chair. But I do love the cover page.

Glenda how wonderful for your son. It is always so nice to hear good things about your kids. Shine off your mom halo.

Trudy I am like Glenda picturing you dragging your mattress. Sorry to hear about the root canal. That is not a fun way to spend the day. Sounds like you are going to be blessed for Christmas.

Karen your violet box sounds lovely. That is one of my favorite flowers. It is nice to have a woodcutter nearby. My dh used to do mine under duress. LOL
Old 05-26-2005, 04:14 PM   #10  
Member Florida Chick

Hi everyone: How the days do fly by.

Maria: I looked at Mattie's book and only saw the cover page, then after reading everyone's post about it, I went back clicked on the little bear, and got the fingernail pictures. Then I clicked on each picture and they enlarged over to the side. How could you DIL not like it? I think you did a great job. My only problem was that the photos were all very close to the bottom of the screen and I just kept thinking that maybe I was missing something. She is a beautiful baby and seeing her Mom and Dad and Grandma and Grandpa, I can see why. Her baby picture on the cover makes me think a bit of my GD when she was born - and now she is 23. As I said the days do fly by. Getting to come to Canada or the U.S. would be good for you. I sure don't know much about Jakarta either.

Karen: I haven't got the activity points finder yet. So I just haven't used any activity points at all. Today was supposed to be our day to weigh in, but we all had so many things to do this a.m. and we opted to go Sat. a.m. this week. I have been sticking very close to my points and so far have not used all of my extra flex points. Today 6 of us went for lunch at the Olive Garden, but they have a chicken dish with vegetables and whole wheat pasta, that I ordered. It was very good, and don't think it would be more than 6 points. Of course then there is the salad and breadsticks:

Slavika: Have all your family members been tested to see if they will be a match for the bone marrow transplant, or will it be coming from a B.M. bank?
I'm sure it is not an easy step to take, and of course with any procedure they can't make any guarantees. And as you say, it is the choice your DH has to make for himself.

I think it is most interesting that we all are the optimists in our marriages. My DH too is the pessimist. He gets down easily, and he always looks at the down side of any problem. I'm just the opposite, looking for the positive, and ready to step out in faith that it will be all right. Maybe this is just a 'man' thing.

Glenda: I know what you mean about feeling proud of your kid when they are commended for their work. That must have been a happy day for you and your DH. My DD forwarded me an email that she got from her boss, and that he had sent to all the other staff members, praising her work in a sticky situation. She does case management in an addiction rehab center.

Trudy: Glad you had a nice vacation, and we too take our own pillows when we travel. Did you notice that the side of the mattress nearest the phone, and closest to watching T.V. easily, is the one that is broken down the most?
You will be having two birthdays close together. Wouldn't it be quite something if the new baby decided to come on 's birthday?

Peggy: Do you do the one stroke painting? I have watched the gal on T.V. now and again, and it looks like it might not be too hard to do, but I haven't tried it at all. It seems that I always find other stuff to fill my time.

Gloria: According to the weather man you are having some very cold and blustery weather up there in New England. We got an email from a friend who lives on the Cape, and they said that the temp was 40deg, with a windchill factor or 30. They were wishing they were back in Florida.

'See' you soon. Ann
Old 05-26-2005, 06:18 PM   #11  

G'day all,

Thank you for your comments about the website....I think I know why some of you were unable to see the photos...the photos are like a Macromedia Flash Movie and you need to have a 'Flash Player' installed.
You can download a free flashplayer from this site http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashplayer/
I [wrongly] thought that most people would have the flash player installed as so many website are now using flash.
If those of you who could not see the photos and happen to download the flashplayer, I would be very interested to hear if my theory is right.

Ann I haven't heard from my d-i-l yet, I don't think she has seen the website yet and now that I know the problems you have all had, I might change the format.
My dd and myself both have our doubts if she would like it. She has been given so many gorgeous things for little Mattie but a lot of them she doesn't like
Mattie does have HUGE feet and all the little all in one suits are fine everywhere but her feet. When I get home I will cut all the feet off and put some ribbing around the bottom where the feet have been cut off. We don't want her feet to be cramped up.

Trudy good luck today with your root canal treatment Good to hear you had a nice trip.

Glenda that is great to hear that about your son, I can well imagine the pride you would have felt. Ann how good is it that your daughter forwarded you the email she got from her boss, technology is just great, it would not have been quite the same if she had just told you about receiving the email.
It is so nice to get that re-assurance once in a while that you have done allright bringing up your kids.
I am not sure what you mean....'his hole disappearing', it is not an expression we use and so I certainly was not offended (I can of course hazard a guess!)
I agree with Ann it is interesting that we are all the optimists. It is probably why we are here. As I am sure you have also heard a thousand times when I speak of my 'cyber friends' I get, 'how do you know they are real', 'they could be telling lies' etc. etc.
It took a while for dh to realise that my 'cyber friends' are genuine people. Now after being here for over 5 years, he thinks it is great and can understand that this is a genuine friendship.
I hope we will be posting for many years to come and hopefully one day actually meet

On Jakarta, I am a little surprised that you know little about the place. I guess Indonesia is our next door neighbour and hence we know a lot about them. I never realised how close Indonesia is until I went to Singapore and Manilla, they are virtually on our doorstep
All I will say is that Jakarta would NEVER be a place on the top of my list of places to go.

I am starting to feel heaps better, whatever the virus was it seems to be disappearing.
Looking forward to spending time with friends from Adelaide that are visiting.

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 05-26-2005 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:26 PM   #12  

Back again.......
I have just a uploaded a different photoalbum that does NOT need the flash player....I think
http://www.users.bigpond.com/amscholz/

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-26-2005, 07:34 PM   #13  
Super Surfer

Thumbs up Hi everyone

Maria I had no trouble seeing the pictures this time. They are so nice, everyone looks so happy to be with Mattie. She is a truly beautiful baby. On the sleepers that were too small, I cut off the feet and zig zagged the edge and it made them look like ruffly capri sleepers.... so cute. Our has long narrow feet too.
My DD had a studio photo taken of our , I am going to scan it and send it out, if I can't make it a good size I might have to rely on you Maria.

I survived the root canal. I just hate going for them. I have a few more in my future, my molars have huge fillings and this is the only way to save them.

see you later..
Old 05-27-2005, 07:57 AM   #14  

Maria,
Thanks so much for sharing Mattie with us. The album is beautiful you did a good job. Don't see how any one would not like it.

Later
Karen
Old 05-27-2005, 10:21 AM   #15  
Fun Blonde

Maria, I just looked at the pictures and just loved them all. She will love the website, surely. This does remind me of our family when there is a new addition to the family. So many people, so excited, and one very tired Mama! When our niece in Phoenix had her little boy who was so tiny (1 lb 11 ozs), she and her husband were alone and because of the circumstances did not want or need any company. They were alone for 6 months because he was so fragile. She said she really appreciate family now more than ever. So glad to be able to share in your celebration!

Also, Maria, that is not an expression here. You can guess what on Leon disappears. I just mean that he gets so uptight that he can make us both miserable.

Trudy, can't wait to see the angel's picture! RE: your root canals, remember that poster with the old guy lifting weights--Old age ain't for sissies!

For our Memorial Day weekend we are going to my DH's high school reunion tomorrow. Trying to wear a size 6 by tomorrow. Think I might give up and just enjoy visiting. Most will be older than me anyway and probably, as fluffy.

Karen, Peggy, Lily, Slavika, Trudy, Maria, Gloria, Ann, all have a wonderful weekend. I hate doing that. Who did I leave out? Love you all.
Glenda
Closed Thread