Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-24-2005, 10:32 AM   #1  

Default New to this

and hoping someone can answer a question.

My partner and I have been "dieting" since April 1st. We've been cutting carbs/sugars/calories, and trying to get 30 minutes of cardio in on a daily basis. He's dropped almost 40 pounds in that time, and I've dropped close to 20.

I've been plugging my calories into FitDay.com and they range from 1200-1400 during the week, 1800-1900 on a week-end.

This past week-end we went away to a mountain biking clinic. Saturday we kept to the diet and were active on the bikes from 8 am until 4 pm. Saturday night we threw the diet away and had a fabulous meal at the Culinary Institute. We didn't stuff ourselves, but did have the bread, and dessert as well as our meals.

Sunday, we had pizza at lunchtime for the first time in over a month, and again had dinner out.

Came home and got on the scale and it shows a gain of three pounds. I'm scratching my head on this one...... I thought to gain 3 pounds I'd have to eat 10,500 calories more than "normal". Now, I know we had wonderful dinners but I don't understand how they can equate to a 3 pound gain?

Based on my current weight loss I'll be paying for this week-end for the next 2 weeks to get back to where I was before.

What's up with THAT?
garetanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 194/175.2/140

Height: 5'2"

It's probably water, waste and undigested food. You can't gain three lbs of fat in two days. I'm sure the lbs will come off once you're back OP. Congrats on your losses, btw!
josie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:16 PM   #3  

I agree that it is probably water weight that will disappear shortly. Some of the meals, in particular the pizza, were probably had a higher sodium content than what you've been eating on plan. That alone can create a surprising amount of water retention. I wouldn't be surprised if you've actually lost weight given the amount of biking that you did.

You've done great so far. Just stick with what you are doing and you'll be back on track in a day or two.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Ditto the other two posts. I would give it a few days and then weigh again.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:12 PM   #5  

Default thanks ladies!

I'll keep my fingers crossed and stay away from the scale for a few days.
garetanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:48 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Another thing to remember is that you can have a weight difference each and everytime you step on the scale. It doesn't necessarily mean you gained 3 pounds precisely. The time of day, the clothes you're wearing, water retention, your TOM, the levelness of the scale itself, etc. etc....many things can play a part in a change of weight. Always try to weigh at the same time of the day. I always do my weigh ins first thing in the morning before eating or drinking.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:18 PM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

You can't have gained 3 pounds from pizza and a few outings--the scale plays mega-tricks on our heads. Example: on Monday morning (right when I got out of bed, before breakfast, after I peed), I weighed 303.5. This morning at the same time, I weight 297.5. I ate like CRAP all weekend long (4 different restaurants plus Pap John's pizza on Sunday night), which accounts for the high weight on Monday. Then I got back on plan (which includes LOTS and LOTS of water to account for the extra sodium intake over the weekend, don't forget!!), and now I'm actually a 1/2 pound less than I was at my weigh-in last Thursday morning, so I lost 1/2 pound this week even though on Monday it said I was up by 5.5 pounds (same scale, same spot on the floor, same pajamas)! Just goes to show that it will go away very quickly since it's not actually FAT gain, just water retention and body chemistry change kinda stuff. Don't worry--you'll be fine!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote