Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-13-2005, 12:10 AM   #1  

Default Has anyone had bypass done twice???

I had a gastric bypass 22 years ago. It worked great. Now at 50 and many things that has happened, I have gained back most of what I lost. I am thinking of having it redone. I think all they have to do is just sew up my pocket again. I would like any imput for anyone who has had it done again after so many years. It is a big health issue for me.
loon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:13 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

i've heard of a couple of people who've had it redone, but they don't hang around here. BOB [big orange babe] is thinking about it, but hasn't made up her mind yet...

i have a question, and it's not meant to be painful for you, but since we are ALL afraid of regaining, what do you think would have helped you so that you would not have ended up regaining?

this maintenance is HARD WORK! and i think as a group we're just clueless about it... any ideas?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:06 PM   #3  

Hi Jiffypop,
There is a few reasons for gaining weight back for me. They really didn't have any support groups and conseling back then. I loved my coffee and would drink too many liquids which stretched out the tummy. I also went through a emotional time after my husband died. I know know they have the groups and counseling. It is such a big change in a very fast time, and there are emotional factors involved.
I was just hoping someone would be here that had it done twice.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:11 AM   #4  

Hi......Can liquids really stretch out your stomach???
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #5  

Well I don't know for sure, but at first I could only drink an ounce of anything. and eat a quarter of a sandwich. Not at the same time. It just seemed I would get myself up to a half a cup of coffee or uncarbonated pop. I know it was all my own mistake, but I have learned alot from it.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:35 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

ummm misty - not really. from what i understand, the tiny tummy itself doesn't stretch all that much [although it does grow], but the outlet can get stretched by eating too much. the downward pressure from the 'weight' of the food makes it widen so that the food can pass through.

soooo. we don't get that 'full' feeling because the food goes through so much faster. the outlet doesn't get wider because of liquids...
Old 05-24-2005, 06:38 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

ya know, loon... i was re-reading your post at the top and thought: wow!!! 22 years with this surgery! you might be the farthest-out postop i've ever seen!

so many of us wonder if we'll still be ALIVE 22 years after the surgery, and you're living proof that we WILL be...

ok. so you've regained some weight and are considering your options, but YOU'RE HERE!!!

thank you!!!!

have you made an appt with a surgeon? let us know what's happening.... it's info we ALL need to know!
Old 05-24-2005, 08:26 AM   #8  

Thanks for explaining that Jiffy!

And I agree-- WOW !!--22years is great!
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote