Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-23-2005, 06:29 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL # 204 May 23 - 29

Morning LWL! Happy last week until the unofficial start of summer (at least here). Actually, is raining here, has been for the last 3 days, and is supposed to rain for the next few.

I finally finished my Exercise Anatomy course and did the on-line testing last night. The test center's computer hung when I submited my answers, so I have no idea whether I passed or what to do I sent them a frantic email, but they keep regular busines hours and won't open until 9am CST today. I think I'll take a week's breather before I start my next course I need it co clean up the house, find my kitchen, dig out the laundry piles. My dd and her bf are visiting for Memorial day weekend and it would be nice if I cleaned out the guest room!

Food was slightly off track this week-end. Didn't eat one enough one day, which led to way too much the next, and no cardio for 3 days. I've been having nighmares about muscles, joints, and test anxiwty. It was all very anticlimactic until the computer hung!

Couple of clients todya- I can tell it's almost end of school year and summer, my clients are starting to cancel on short notice! then chest and some much needed cardio for me.

Have a good one,

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:25 AM   #2  

Good Morning LWL and welcome Erin.

Mel, I am sure you passed your test with flying colors.

I was laying in bed stressing over things I have no control over this morning (don't you just love starting your day like that?) Then I started stressing over my run and when I would fit it in, and today is supposed to be 30 minutes so if I do it before my training session I would need to do the treadmill, but it is nice out and we won't have so many nice days ... You get the picture. Then this light bulb went on that this is probably the one thing I do have control over and I could put on my sneaks and do my run 2 hours before my workout. There is no rule that says they needto be done together. So here it is, almost 7:30, my run is done, I just ate breakfast and I have my training session at 8:30. This is going to be a great day, I can tell. Hope it is great for all you, too

Oh, I couldn't hold back anymore and made a post on the Curves thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...t=56341&page=7

What do you think?
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Ellen,

Good job on beating the stress monster. My morning had an interesting start as well. I did not do good on the food this weekend - have realized that there is NO way I can do this without doing my workouts in the AM. Planning workouts in the evening means I am up late which is when I eat stupid. So anyway, I was up late last night, eating a Little Debbie in bed while watching garbage on TV. When I woke up this AM, the Little Debbie wrapper was stuck to my stomach - which is exactly where what I ate is gonna be stuck if I don't stop eating them and face the facts on my weak areas. So...I will be back at the gym tomorrow early AM - to heck with how my hair looks, I would rather be healthy.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Hello gang !!

Welcome Erin we LUVS NEWBIES ....

Tiki -- Your post just had me in stitches... I guess my mind is in the gutter this fine Monday morning...''So anyway, I was up late last night, eating a Little Debbie in bed .... '' too funny if you just read that part...

Anywoo , let's all get back on track this week, I had a horrid food day yesterday, so bad that I woke up with a headache that I can truly say was caused by too much sugar in a piece of homemade coconut cream pie I had at a family get together yesterday. It couldn't have been the wine I only had 2 glasses...

So it's cardio this afternoon with shoulders and abs...

TTFN ... Let's be careful out there!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:59 AM   #5  

Ilene you are AWFUL!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahahaha. I usually re-read my posts before I post them but didn't on this one.

Yes, let's definitely get back on track this week.

Tiki.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:00 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning. A rainy weekend here - we needed it badly - and it's still cloudy and threatening more rain today. I did manage to buy and plant a lot of annuals and my hanging baskets so I feel better about my yard. I got absolutely soaked through following a gal around a nursery yard. She was "sure" she knew where the current bush I wanted was - NOT! Ah well, it's only water.

After reading Pamela Peeke's Body for Life for Women, I've decided to write up my own 12-week challenge. I'm in the process of doing that and when I finish I'll keep it posted where I can see it a lot, mostly to keep myself accountable when my initial enthusiasm wanes. My scale has decided that I really have lost 2 more pounds, and it's been several times now, so I changed my ticker. Hopefully this 12 week concentration will have me down another size by the end of August. I lose verrrry slowly - must be this post-menopausal old body metabolism. Nevertheless, it does eventually come off and even slowly is better than gaining (which I do very easily of course!) I had a good breakfast, and have a grocery bag full of healthy lunch and snacks. Plus, gym stuff in the car. Lower body and today.

Had the same reaction as Ilene to your post, Tiki. Thanks for the morning

Ellen, good for you realizing that you could just do your run early. Doesn't it feel good to have it done?
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:04 AM   #7  

hi LWL,

Mel-I hope you passed your test! Are you sure your answers got in before the computer failed ?

EllenUW - you seem to be on a winning streak ! Good for you!

Tiki- What is a little Debbie ?

Pat - Very inspiring thought to start a 12 week challenge. I'm thinking about it.

Lately I have made my workouts more intense to start the scale moving again, but it really all goes very slowly, AND food still is a problem. I don't like it to be food conscious all the time, but I have to be.

Workout yesterday was 30 min jog and LBW. Today I jogged for 1 hour.
I really splurged and bought myself a treadmil. I had been thinking about it for over 6 months now, and decided just to go for it.

Have a great day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:44 AM   #8  
Student of the Hoof

Wasted time on another board this morning and killed my time to run. So...

I did my chest/back split instead. Upped it to 15 pounds plus bar for bench and incline presses and deadlifts, 2 sets of 12. Dumbell rows, 7.5 pounds plus bar, 2 sets of 12 on each side. Flies *spit* 2.5 pounds plus bar, 2 sets of 12.

Yesterday, in addition to the pilates, I ran the length and breadth of the arena several times working with Shadow, who was in rare form, until she'd finally 'round pen' around me, and come when asked. Took a while. Lots of running. *pant*

Then I trimmed Eve's hooves. Sweated more than when I run, I think. Forearms and hands get a workout from hoof trimming. Tonight I'll trim Arashi, and perhaps work Shadow more. We shall see.

Food yesterday, very good. Water - oy, abysmal. And considering how much I sweated... *shakes head* Today MUST be better. Exercise - eh.. a little scattered around, but definitely getting done so I can't really complain. I *need* to run tomorrow. No getting online first! NO Marian, BAD Marian. *rolls eyes*

I will be back tonight to check up on everyone's posts... must get ready for work! *ew*
RavenToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:19 AM   #9  

Hey GreekGirl - I saw the woman from Greece won this year's Eurovision. Did you see it? She seems pretty talented on the video. This is the first year we were here rather than there for it in a long time - one for the minuses of my not working, I guess.

RavenToy -sounds like the horses give you quite a workout. Wow!

Oh Rabbit, to not know what a Little Debbie is ... those little snack cakes are addicting and the crack of after school treats, especially the peanut butter chocolate sugar cookie things (yes, it has been a long time).

It is raining here, so I will do my 30 min run on the treadmill before yoga. Having learned from last week, I will take an extra shirt to the gym.

Last Fri night I met a bunch of women for a yoga session and then we met the guys for dinner. It was a great night at a local restaurant that has been open for about a year. The menu is upscale American with a fabulous (and reasonably priced) wine list. Their goal is to be a casual, upscale neighborhood place rather than a special occasion destination. We had a great time. As we were a large group, I called ahead and made a reservation. The General Manager was honest enough to say that they had one large table in a separate room that we could have at 7, but another party had reservations at 9:30. I appreciate that kind of honesty. So I e-mailed him after and told him ww had a great time and thanked him. I also asked if he would share a recipe for one of the appetizers. I have seen this type of thing in "Gourmet" magazine, and figured the worse thing he could do was ignore me. Well, he came back and told me the chef wouldbe more than happy to share the recipe, but it is a bit complicated, and I could probably understand it better if I came in and he showed me (!) Tomorrow afternoon my trainer (guess he's moved into friend category now) and I are going to learn from the chef. How cool is that? Just shows you need to ask for things.

My trainer has also convinced me to do one more race before it gets too hot to get more race experience under my belt. So I am seriously considering registering for a 10K June 11. I want to talk with him one more time before I commit, and make sure I am not infringing on his race or time with his friends, as, I have, of course, invited myself and DH to brunch with them after.

Have a great day ...
Old 05-24-2005, 08:32 AM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Rabbit -- A new treadmil?? How nice !!

Raven -- Yeah, I'd say your day was pretty darn active and full of calorie burning workouts...

Ellen -- You go girl!! Geez I can't believe your enthusiam streak it's simply contagious!!

Pat -- Good luck with your new program, keep us posted !!

Today I do LEGS and maybe some slow jogging on the I usually don't run on leg day but I feel like it today... I'll see how I feel after the workout though...

Well, let's be careful out there this week ... TTFN ...

I just wanted to share this with you ladies... I just love this pic of DD and I taken on Mother's day ... http://groups.msn.com/3FCLadiesWhoLi...to&PhotoID=225
Old 05-24-2005, 08:36 AM   #11  

Rabbit, consider yourself LUCKY that you don't know. Yes, those things are as addictive as crack. My monster was the strawberry shortcake kind. I won't even buy my kids the one that Ellen described cause I would eat the whole box in a sitting. Guess I have to add the strawberry one to the do not buy list.

Ellen that is cool that the chef invited you in. That is so gracious of him. The restaurant that I went to on Saturday was Godawful. Our group was so large that one of the chefs helped to serve and when I asked for a fork, he told me to use my FINGERS! I thought he was joking but 15 minutes later, I still had no silverware and had to go ask somebody for a set.

I had every intention of working out last night - came home changed my clothes, ate my dinner so it would have time to digest before time for me to workout - laid across the bed and was sound asleep by 7:45. I didn't wake up until 7 this AM. I guess I was more tired from last weeks meetings and this weekend's activities than I thought. Oh well, I'm rested now and will definitely get my sweat on tonite.

Tiki.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:58 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Ilene, what a lovely picture of you and your DD!

Ellen, good for you considering another race. I'm impressed how you are coming along with your running.

Last night I did a LBWO and a short session on the elliptical. My weights are back to pre-vacation levels, so I feel pretty good about that. I'm still working on my 12 week plan, but am moving ahead with clean eating and exercise anyway.

Rabbit - I'm jealous you have a treadmill. I've wanted one for awhile, but we frankly have nowhere to put it, and DH feels - and probably correctly - that we wouldn't use it as much as we think. It'd end up with the stationary bike, and the rowing machine. :lol I think of it as a old folks home for exercise equipment.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:53 PM   #13  

Where is everyone today? Was there a party I didn't hear about?

This morning I had a hard time getting motivated out the door - it was overcast and cold and my body kept saying "5 more minutes". I know it is TOM doing its work so it should be starting in a day or two.

I got to the gym in time for 15 minutes on the elliptical and then a workout with my trainer. It seems he upped my weights on EVERYTHING today. But I feel great now. Spent the afternoon with the Chef and he was great. I got home and typed my notes and sent them back to ask him to make sure I didn't leave anything out. He has convinced me to do this 10K June 11 as it will be my last chance to race before it gets too hot and it will be more experience under my belt, I already have the distance covered and it is about 10 minutes from home. So I am set and ready to register and HE is undecided. How funny is that? Regardless if he does it or not, I am going to do it.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and recognizing my dedication. I really don't know how long this feeling will last, so I figured I will keep following it with full passion and verve until the end (or as long as the firecrackers last) This is all part of my resolution to live more in the moment and stop worrying about the future and things outside my control. I can control my feet and putting those sneaks on every morning... Until tomorrow then -
Old 05-25-2005, 06:17 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Ellen -- YOU my girl are so in the Zone right now it's contagious and amazing ... Keep it up!! So did the chef show you something interesting in the kitchen ?

Today I am so happy, DD got a JOB!!!! Last week I went into the vets office to purchase some ''special'' cat food because our two cats are spoiled to the hilt, anywhoo... They had a poster up looking for a student , I have one of those!! So I got a bit of info and came home mentionned it to DD since she had already worked community hours at an animal shelter...We made a resumé, today she had her interview and she starts on Saturday... I am more than extactic that child is sooooo expensive to keep up, she better marry rich!!

I had a good run today, 6k in the wind, it was soooo hard at times it felt like I was running through water, my baseball cap even flew off...
Old 05-25-2005, 06:58 PM   #15  

Hmmm - something got deleted in my last post - I hate it when that happens. The chef showed me how to make an asparagus terrine. My trainer convinced me to do the 10K and now he is wishy-washy. Oh well, that will teach me to post while cooking dinner! DH off to a meeting which means I get and evening free to read, ahhh. Will try the terrine this weekend. I probably need all 3 days

Ilene - congrats on the additional working member of the family. What a great experience for her. Woo Woo!!